Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Czech Carrier Ditches iPhone, Blames Apple's 'Business Terms'

Default Czech Carrier Ditches iPhone, Blames Apple's 'Business Terms'

Czech carrier Telefonica Czech Republic (TCR) is refusing to carry Apple’s iPhone 4S and is dropping all prior iPhone models according to Bloomberg.

TCR’s move is in response to unfair “business terms.” The terms in question are most likely the industry leading subsidies Apple requires from carriers to sell their devices. Obviously “business terms” is a loaded phrase, but Sprint’s CEO revealed Apple’s subsudies are as much as $200 higher per device versus their competitors.

TCR isn’t a small player in the telecom world either, they’ve been one of Apple’s biggest supporters up until this announcement. The company brought the iPhone to Spain and the U.K first with O2. However, competition from Vodafone and T-Mobile in the Czech Republic could have spurred the decision as well. Especially if both companies, who started selling the iPhone 4S late last month, received better subsidy deals.

From a business standpoint TCR is a bit of a Catch-22. Either you bite the bullet and sell the iPhone 4S hoping the initial cost is paid back via new subscribers and subscription fees, or you nix the device and hope the savings is enough to outweigh any potential gains of carrying the device.

Sprint’s decision to carry the iPhone 4S and essentially bet the entire company on a single phone and phone maker represents the antithesis to TCR’s move. It’ll be interesting to see which company ultimately reaps the greatest benefit.

Source: Bloomberg
    Last edited by Phillip Swanson; 11-02-2011 at 11:21 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Lombardo Joe's Avatar
    Thanks

Glad I'm in 'merica.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,757 Times in 894 Posts

So will this effect other Telefonica companies?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I live in CZE, the only thing i can say - "FU O2".It's almost monopolistic stance, terrible customer support, unclear end user agreements, unfair prices etc. made many people really angry. And they'r speaking of "unfair business terms". Mwuhaha

Default No you're not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombardo Joe View Post
    Glad I'm in 'merica.
    Untrue.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tabaks View Post
    Untrue.
    LOL what? How can you make this statement?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

You know what Phillip, you really know how to write a good article even if there's not a whole lot of meat in the story.

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

They should stick with Android it'll bring them more $$

Quote Originally Posted by Stumbows View Post
    You know what Phillip, you really know how to write a good article even if there's not a whole lot of meat in the story.
    Not every piece of news is worth reading in the paper either

iPhone? More like MyPhone Lombardo Joe's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    LOL what? How can you make this statement?
    THANK YOU, lol. I didn't know how to respond to that without being sarcastic and rude. I was wondering the same.

Bold move when other companies have put up fights to get it.

Customer service is so anti-Mac also. I had trouble getting a data-card working and they didn't want to help because I had a Mac. Even thought the card had Mac drivers.