+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Fires Employees That Criticize Brand on Facebook, Twitter

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Apple Fires Employees That Criticize Brand on Facebook, Twitter

It will likely come as no big surprise to many that Apple reportedly maintains a strict - and I mean strict - policy when it comes to social media usage among its employees. According to published reports this week, Apple will fire any employee who utters a negative word about the company and its brand through social media channels like Facebook and Twitter.

"In general," reads a new report from ifoAppleStore.com, "Apple retail employees are allowed to post on the Internet, but cannot include the company’s name or mention their employment at Apple." News of Apple's stringent policy surfaced following an employee's termination after posting critical comments about Apple online. The Apple employee in question (named Crisp) appealed to a UK labor advocacy following his dismissal for “gross misconduct.”

Jamie Hamnett of the law firm Addleshaw Goddard LLP says Apple “made it absolutely plain throughout the induction process that commentary on Apple products, or critical remarks about the brand, were strictly prohibited.”

Hammett noted that the tribunal took into account that such comments “would be particularly damaging for Apple as image is so central to its success.” Therefore, “Apple successfully argued that it was justified and proportionate to limit this right (of posting) in order to protect its commercial reputation against potentially damaging posts.”
    Although Apple isn't issuing formal comment on the matter, the company maintains that all employees are advised during training that they will, indeed, be axed if they violate Apple's social media policy.

Source: ifoAppleStore

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

I bet these employees are going to work for google or Samsung now...lol

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

Green Apple
    Thanks

If you don't like Apple you probably shouldn't work there.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PM5K For This Useful Post:

teknohag (11-06-2011)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PM5K View Post
    If you don't like Apple you probably shouldn't work there.
    Or they did like Apple and realized it was a ****** company after all and instead of quitting since its a pretty rough economy out there, they put on a smile and sell **** products.

Somehow I think firing them will elevate the bad mouthing of Apple. Also, who the **** is Apple to say what they can say off hours on their personal Facebook page, or whatever service they use. Apparently Apple isn't in favor of the 1st Amendment.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GmAz View Post
    Or they did like Apple and realized it was a ****** company after all and instead of quitting since its a pretty rough economy out there, they put on a smile and sell **** products.

Somehow I think firing them will elevate the bad mouthing of Apple. Also, who the **** is Apple to say what they can say off hours on their personal Facebook page, or whatever service they use. Apparently Apple isn't in favor of the 1st Amendment.
    Actually, this happened in the UK so they don't "have" a first Amendment like we know it... and even if they did it's probably part of the company's policy and once you sign the contract to get hired you have to abide by their policies you cant just go and say **** and expect them not to care because "it's freedom of speech"

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Don Ju4n For This Useful Post:

teknohag (11-06-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,752 Times in 890 Posts

I don't see anything wrong with that. Working is a privilege for both parties. The company are lucky to have you and in return your lucky they picked you. After all, if it wasn't supposed to be you would have a better job. If one party takes for granted the other then the partnership won't work, regardless if it is the employer or employee.

@GmAz - Seriously when your older and look back on life and realise the time you wasted trolling, your gona regret it.
    Last edited by KraXik; 11-01-2011 at 01:58 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to KraXik For This Useful Post:

teknohag (11-06-2011)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

This does not pertain to that employee that got fired, but freedom of speech is inalienable right meaning you can not sign it away. I am not sure how the law goes in England but I am sure there is something similar there.It would be illegal to fire someone simply because they post his/her opinion, but Apple can fire through other avenues. i.e. move them to crap positions so they would quit.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I work for a very large company and they have the same policy regarding bad mouthing the company via social media.

Thanks
    A lot of company's have this cause in not just apple. Non- story hyped up.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Tomcat50 For This Useful Post:

teknohag (11-06-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone MaStA819's Avatar
    Thanks

So they hire people to spy on other Apple employees? So not only does Apple want to control the world they also want to control people's lives. Nice...

I can understand them not wanting employees to bad mouth the company but are there spies that spy on other Apple employees or what?

Heck a Chinese restaurant can't even have something that looks like an apple in their logo without upsetting Apple. Ridiculous...

iPhone? More like MyPhone Cellular's Avatar
    Thanks

Oh well
    Last edited by Cellular; 11-01-2011 at 03:07 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MaStA819 View Post
    So they hire people to spy on other Apple employees? So not only does Apple want to control the world they also want to control people's lives. Nice...

I can understand them not wanting employees to bad mouth the company but are there spies that spy on other Apple employees or what?

Heck a Chinese restaurant can't even have something that looks like an apple in their logo without upsetting Apple. Ridiculous...

Why is this coming up as such a big deal for everyone? Is this even worth reporting as 'News'???

All the companies I have worked for, (big or small) have had the exact same disclaimer and have expected their respective employees to abide by their rules and not post stuff on social networking sites.

Are you guys seriously down to super-micro-analyzing Apple or are you running out of articles to possibly meet the daily quota? Or is the standard of 'News Reporting' just deteriorating by the day?

Are we going to see a day where an Apple employee farting in a restroom is also reported with equal hype and undue importance?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Niks2481 For This Useful Post:

teknohag (11-03-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone fbiryujin's Avatar
    Thanks

This whole thing can be fixed by the use of an alias. My alias on here is well known, but if I worked for Apple, and wanted to bad mouth them, then it's trivial to create a new alias, and even a new e-mail address to go with it. These services are free, and many of them don't care if you have more than one account (Facebook I know does care, but if you aren't stupid, it's hard to get caught) Seems like a common sense solution to the problem. On the civil rights side, I think that we have the right to free speech, and as long as we aren't violating NDAs, and other secret keeping polices our employers shouldn't be able to dictate what we do off hours.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to fbiryujin For This Useful Post:

teknohag (11-03-2011)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default i went to apple job interview!
    I went to apple for an interview.
    I guess the freaking reason they won't hire me was because I spoke out the truth!
    One of the main speaker told me that we can speak the truth.
    I told them the truth.
    He said that their apple store are the most helpful to customer.
    I told them, that's crap.
    I experience less than helpful service from their 4 store in the bay area.
    Well, there goes my job.

Well, forget them if they can't handle the truth.
    i wanted to work there to improve the customer service.
    if they can't see it.
    well, too bad!

Quote Originally Posted by ipodtouchman77 View Post
    I bet these employees are going to work for google or Samsung now...lol

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    This does not pertain to that employee that got fired, but freedom of speech is inalienable right meaning you can not sign it away. I am not sure how the law goes in England but I am sure there is something similar there.It would be illegal to fire someone simply because they post his/her opinion, but Apple can fire through other avenues. i.e. move them to crap positions so they would quit.
    Yes, in the US, you have freedom of speech. Meaning the government can't stifle your speech, with certain exceptions. It does not apply to Apple denying this employees 1st Ammenent Rights. Just because you have freedom of speech, does not mean you can't be fired. It's completely legal and every company fires people for this

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Malik112099 View Post
    I work for a very large company and they have the same policy regarding bad mouthing the company via social media.
    Same here. I actually know a cop that used a persons Facebook against them in court for a certain charge and it worked against them. People have to realize that even though it's your own profile, if it isn't on private, it's public domain and fair use. It just makes sense, if your employer finds you bad mouthing them, they can fire you. Doesn't matter if it's at the workplace or online.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ohthatguyagain's Avatar
    Thanks

If your current with US law, this is completely legal. Several companies and California and Texas have successfully fired over posts on social sites that constitute libel

24. The Following User Says Thank You to ohthatguyagain For This Useful Post:

teknohag (11-06-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Limitations to Freedom of Speech
    Ah! But there are limitations, aren't there? I can't say something false about someone, or lie under oath in court without punishment. Freedom of speech protects you from being imprisoned for voicing your opinion, but not from speaking untruths or from being fired when using your position at a company to damage that company.

Thanks

The key point is that under the law facebook and twitter are regarded as public forums not private.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

So if i worked at apple i could say "welcome to the apple store, may i recommend that you look to HTC or samsung for your smartphone or tablet needs, Dell and HP for a computer, and Roku for a set-top box. Our products suck and are overpriced, and only are meant for rich people or professionals who need these computers, which you obviously arent and you dont deserve to own them, stupid fat jerkface."? i have freedom of speech! they cant fire me!