Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Fires Employees That Criticize Brand on Facebook, Twitter

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spazturtle View Post
    The key point is that under the law facebook and twitter are regarded as public forums not private.
    I am not following you. Libel can be committed in public forms, right? People cannot say whatever comes to their mind without retribution. That is not the basis of Freedom of Speech. People can spew whatever racist words they want, but not when they are an employer and speaking to an employee.

@Twitter Apple sux!

Just about any company you work for is gonna have policies and regulations. You either abide by them or you kick rocks. Simple as that. Only reason this is even "news" is because it has to do with Apple, and this site of course wants the website traffic. I'm in the military and our rules are even more stricter. Doesn't mean we don't have freedom of speech, just means there are consequences to our actions.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to NSXrebel For This Useful Post:

teknohag (11-06-2011)

Not surprised at all, we do it at Walmart all the time lol

This kind of policy is not unique to Apple. Many companies in all sorts of service industries have the same policy. Companies have the right to protect their brand. As condition of employment this nothing unusual.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to domenicp For This Useful Post:

teknohag (11-06-2011)

its not new
    its not unique to Apple
    there's only one solution
    that doesn't always work
    but its the best we've got

anonymous - Google Search

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Reverse Transcriptase For This Useful Post:

teknohag (11-06-2011)

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    This does not pertain to that employee that got fired, but freedom of speech is inalienable right meaning you can not sign it away. I am not sure how the law goes in England but I am sure there is something similar there.It would be illegal to fire someone simply because they post his/her opinion, but Apple can fire through other avenues. i.e. move them to crap positions so they would quit.
    That's constructive dismissal and would have put the employer in a much worse position legally

Quote Originally Posted by ipodtouchman77 View Post
    I bet these employees are going to work for google or Samsung now...lol
    I bet no company would touch them if they truthfully indicate why they left Apple.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ZipZapp For This Useful Post:

teknohag (11-06-2011)

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Firstly, bad mouthing the company you work for is not smart. Second, a lot of companies have a rule against saying things like that against them, its not just Apple. Third, this didn't happen in the U.S.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to steve-z17 For This Useful Post:

teknohag (11-06-2011)

I work for a major British company and they have a policy like this and depending on what you post or say would play its part in the out come! Starting at a warning moving up to worst out come being shown the door! This is in the company hand book and if you chose to not read it and fall foul to te rules then it's your own fault!!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to scroogelives For This Useful Post:

teknohag (11-06-2011)

Quote Originally Posted by stynkfysh View Post
    I am not following you. Libel can be committed in public forms, right? People cannot say whatever comes to their mind without retribution. That is not the basis of Freedom of Speech. People can spew whatever racist words they want, but not when they are an employer and speaking to an employee.
    I'm not sure SpazTurtle was disagreeing with you.

It DOES seem to be the case that Apple punishes employees who say things which reflect badly on their employer, whether or not those statements are libelous or legally suspect. An employee spreading libelous statements could (in theory) be subject to dismissal, but also civil lawsuits and other misery.

There are quite a few conditions where spewing racist words can result in public embarrassment. About the only "safe" place I can think of, would be cracking jokes within one's own (inbred) family.

Freedom of Expression (in the U.S. Constitution anyway) only limits the Government's ability to regulate public speech. It doesn't apply to private speech, or private regulation of public speech.

Throughout most of "Western Civilization" there's a broader common notion of "Free Speech" that almost approaches Common Law in its widespread shared belief- but Governments won't touch it. The U.S. 1st Amendment is about the closest you're gonna get. Other than that, not enough people agree on what should and shouldn't be Free, for 'Free Speech' to have legs outside the two that you use to walk with.

Frankly, when you look at how the rotten Apple has done everything possible to restrict their customers from enjoying the full benefits of their purchase of the iPhone or iPad, in the form of highly restrictive programs, it sort of fits their mold.

I hope they are sued to the fullest extent allowed by law.

Shame on you Rotten Apple!!

Frankly, when you look at how the rotten Apple has done everything possible to restrict their customers from enjoying the full benefits of their purchase of the iPhone or iPad, in the form of highly restrictive programs, it sort of fits their mold. I hope they are sued to the fullest extent allowed by law. Shame on you Rotten Apple!!
    Last edited by dberns; 11-02-2011 at 04:34 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by coltonbyu8 View Post
    So if i worked at apple i could say "welcome to the apple store, may i recommend that you look to HTC or samsung for your smartphone or tablet needs, Dell and HP for a computer, and Roku for a set-top box. Our products suck and are overpriced, and only are meant for rich people or professionals who need these computers, which you obviously arent and you dont deserve to own them, stupid fat jerkface."? i have freedom of speech! they cant fire me!
    I would fire you for saying HTC is better than apple. Everything else is fine.
    unklbyl

20. The Following User Says Thank You to unklbyl For This Useful Post:

teknohag (11-06-2011)

Default probably not
    the people who are dissatisfied and posting are probably just whiny kids who work in the apple stores... they would be incredibly out of place at a google or a samsung.

Default This is not the US
    Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    This does not pertain to that employee that got fired, but freedom of speech is inalienable right meaning you can not sign it away. I am not sure how the law goes in England but I am sure there is something similar there.It would be illegal to fire someone simply because they post his/her opinion, but Apple can fire through other avenues. i.e. move them to crap positions so they would quit.
    There's no bill of rights in the UK. And freedom of speech doesn't actually exist in most commonwealth countries.

Having said that, I don't understand how someone would expect to keep his word when he bad mouthed his employer. He obviously doesn't enjoy working there, so everyone at the end is happy: he doesn't have to work on a job he doesn't like, and Apple doesn't employ him.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Uh, ok.....
    So let me get this straight. In an interview for a job with Apple, you told them you thought their customer service was crap? And they were supposed to take that comment to imply that you were just the person they needed to turn things around and start providing better service?

Yeah -- if I was interviewing you, the interview would have pretty much ended right there and I'd move on to the next person too.

Did it ever occur to you, first of all, that the guy giving you the interview might have been the same one who decided to hire at least one or two of those OTHER employees you were bad-mouthing?

More importantly though -- a BIG part of providing good customer service at a place like Apple involves having an ability to express things diplomatically. Customers are going to come in all the time with issues that frustrate or anger you, but part of your job is to be a reflection of the image Apple is trying to portray. That means not letting on that you're getting upset or frustrated with them, or tired of listening to them rambling on about something or other. They're supposed to be made to feel welcome at all times in the store, and feel like the employees they interact with are practically their friends. If you couldn't even see that a job interview wasn't the appropriate time to express your dislike of the way some of their staff was acting, then it's pretty obviously you wouldn't be a safe bet to hold your tongue at appropriate times after you had the job!

For the record, Apple retail DOES regularly follow up with customers to see if they're pleased or not. My wife just got a phone call to check up on a recent Genius bar visit she had, and indeed, she complained about several issues she had -- and they made note of all of it.

Quote Originally Posted by koreanmasters99 View Post
    I went to apple for an interview.
    I guess the freaking reason they won't hire me was because I spoke out the truth!
    One of the main speaker told me that we can speak the truth.
    I told them the truth.
    He said that their apple store are the most helpful to customer.
    I told them, that's crap.
    I experience less than helpful service from their 4 store in the bay area.
    Well, there goes my job.

Well, forget them if they can't handle the truth.
    i wanted to work there to improve the customer service.
    if they can't see it.
    well, too bad!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to kingtj For This Useful Post:

teknohag (11-03-2011)

This isn't anything different then what most big companies do. I like my job, but if I went and badmouthed them and harmed their image, I wouldn't be working there. In fact, not just big companies, small ones too, and its probably more important with smaller companies....

Anyway, people just need to use common sense when posting online, if you don't like where you work, don't publicly broadcast that.

Default Confidentiality Agreement?
    Quote Originally Posted by GmAz View Post
    Or they did like Apple and realized it was a ****** company after all and instead of quitting since its a pretty rough economy out there, they put on a smile and sell **** products.

Somehow I think firing them will elevate the bad mouthing of Apple. Also, who the **** is Apple to say what they can say off hours on their personal Facebook page, or whatever service they use. Apparently Apple isn't in favor of the 1st Amendment.
    It's possible that Apple employees sign a confidentiality agreement. This might cover negative statements made on the internet. If true it seems that fired employees would not have recourse. Opra did it as do many companies with their employees. So 1st Amendment or not once you sign that old dotted line you keep your mouth shut (or in this case your fingers still). This is not an endorsement of the firings as I haven't read any of the posts. And while we're on the topic of the 1st Amendment I think we lost a lot of that after 9/11 - ask Bill Maher (his Politically Incorrect show was cancelled after he exercised his right to 'free' speech even though ABC denied that this was a factor.

Quote Originally Posted by koreanmasters99 View Post
    I went to apple for an interview.
    I guess the freaking reason they won't hire me was because I spoke out the truth!
    One of the main speaker told me that we can speak the truth.
    I told them the truth.
    He said that their apple store are the most helpful to customer.
    I told them, that's crap.
    I experience less than helpful service from their 4 store in the bay area.
    Well, there goes my job.

Well, forget them if they can't handle the truth.
    i wanted to work there to improve the customer service.
    if they can't see it.
    well, too bad!
    I have no desire to work there but I agree their customer service could be improved by a lot.

Originally Posted by koreanmasters99
    I went to apple for an interview. I guess the freaking reason they won't hire me was because I spoke out the truth! One of the main speaker told me that we can speak the truth. I told them the truth. He said that their apple store are the most helpful to customer. I told them, that's crap. I experience less than helpful service from their 4 store in the bay area. Well, there goes my job.

Well, forget them if they can't handle the truth. i wanted to work there to improve the customer service. if they can't see it. well, too bad!

Well I'm gonna go with and wish to thank kingtj for the reply given.
    My question to koreanmasters99 is are you on drugs? If not perhaps you should be (I'm just quoting Judge Judy here don't think that I'm suggesting anything novel! You just make no sense.

I could go to many levels of this but kingtj covered most. I am only going to add:
    1) I worked phone customer service in a bank and upon leaving was given high commendations for my handling of angry customers.
    2) I have been a MacHead since 1994 & remember when telephone troubleshooting was free. Sure you may have had to be on hold for 45 minutes or so but once you got with a customer service person they stayed with you no matter the time it took. The 1st thing they did was to take a phone # you could be reached @ should the call be disrupted. (Of course this was before 'AppleCare')
    3) I have interacted with AppleCare (via phone & in-store Genius Bar) many times since AppleCare kicked in and have never found anyone to have been less than professional. My problems have always been solved.
    BTW I'm in NYC & the only problems that I have are with carriers (many who are farmed out and mostly clueless about Macs.

I do miss the free phone troubleshooting, sure. But you sound like someone who really should not be working with Mac support.

Peace.......

Quote Originally Posted by MaStA819 View Post
    So they hire people to spy on other Apple employees? So not only does Apple want to control the world they also want to control people's lives. Nice...

I can understand them not wanting employees to bad mouth the company but are there spies that spy on other Apple employees or what?

Heck a Chinese restaurant can't even have something that looks like an apple in their logo without upsetting Apple. Ridiculous...
    Apple control the world? Heh. Ever used WindoZe? Do you know where the Sosumi sound came from? I do and I'll give you a one word hint: Beatles.
    Bettcha won't reply!
    Last edited by teknohag; 11-03-2011 at 08:59 PM. Reason: spacing

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast