+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Hulu Plus App for Apple TV Ready, Apple Conflicted About Release

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Apple is experiencing some internal conflict over the decision whether or not to allow a Hulu Plus App on the Apple TV platform according to 9to5Mac. The application has reportedly
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Hulu Plus App for Apple TV Ready, Apple Conflicted About Release

Apple is experiencing some internal conflict over the decision whether or not to allow a Hulu Plus App on the Apple TV platform according to 9to5Mac.

The application has reportedly been finished for as long as month running on Apple TVs inside the Cupertino Campus. Apple TV currently supports a Netflix app that enables users to stream movies natively to their televisions. Hulu Plus would do the same. The indecision on Apple’s part doesn’t stem from functionality issues, rather it stems from the content each service provides.

Netflix, by way of its deals with major studios, has had to make some concessions in its content. Most movies and television shows aren’t immediately available after they air or release on DVD. Hulu Plus on the other hand gives users access to a ton of new TV shows and movies. Apple is worried this could eat into the iTunes sales of similar movies and TV shows.

Apple appears to have crippled the Hulu Plus iPad app as well. While it is available, AirPlay is not enabled, and even using HDMI cables to connect the app to a TV results in a SD image. Apple hasn’t let third-party developers do much on their A4-enabled Apple TV. Many anticipated its release would usher in an era of Apple TV apps, and games increasing the overall functionality of the device. That hasn’t happened yet. Currently Apple only supports YouTube, Vimeo, Netflix, and Flickr.

If Steve Jobs was right and Apple has already figured out how to reinvent the television, maybe they’re waiting to open up a true Apple TV app store. But, full-fledged Apple LCD TVs are probably more than a couple of years off. Hopefully Apple opens up the Apple TV platform soon.

Source: 9to5Mac

Green Apple
    Thanks

Hulu plus for iPhone + DisplayOut = win, but as for the apple tv store it would be interesting but I think they'd need to come out with a new one with the a5 processor to match iPad 2 an iPhone 4s users expectations of quality and speed

Green Apple
    Thanks

In the meantime, I'll just keep using the Hulu XBMC add-on on my jailbroken ATV2

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Heathen711 View Post
    Hulu plus for iPhone + DisplayOut = win, but as for the apple tv store it would be interesting but I think they'd need to come out with a new one with the a5 processor to match iPad 2 an iPhone 4s users expectations of quality and speed
    I really don't see why apple tv needs an a5, an iPad and 4s do many many things at once. The apple tv only plays one thing at a time, does it very well, and I don't see a need for increased speed.

MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Donnutt View Post
    I really don't see why apple tv needs an a5, an iPad and 4s do many many things at once. The apple tv only plays one thing at a time, does it very well, and I don't see a need for increased speed.
    Good point, the Apple TV isn't a multitasking device, and doesn't try to emulate the functionality of the iPhone, iPad, or laptops. It would be nice though to allow developers to produce games, albeit simple ones, that utilize the iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad as a controller. There area ton of possibilities. Imagine what the jailbreak community could do/is already doing.

Thanks

Make it happen. I have Hulu Plus but not Netflix. If this happened, I would finally consider buying an TV.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Donnutt View Post
    High res games?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Typical Apple. They build a platform supporting 3rd party apps, but severely restrict what both the 3rd party developers have access to in order to maximize their own profits. They keep APIs secret so their own developers have access to them but 3rd party developers don't. They hassle, rather than support their 3rd party developers. Weren't they part of the countless anti-trust lawsuits against Microsoft, claiming the same horrible practices? Apple has gone even further in their efforts to control the digital world. They decide if they will allow an 3rd party app to not only compete with one of their own, but also whether or not they will allow potentially competitive media to be accessed on their devices. Imagine the howls from Cuppertino if Microsoft had ever done that. Of if Samsung TVs only allow you to attach a cable box they produced and supplied media to. Oh, how the Apple lawyers would be spinning then. From a user perspective Apple once again proves you don't buy to own their devices. They are only letting you have the privilege of paying to borrow them under their very restrictive terms. They will tell you users what you need, and therefore can have. And you will like it! Obviously with the large population of Apple Fan Boys, they are right. But where is the non-fan boy outrage for them restricting your use of their very expensive toys? Closed platforms are exactly that, as are anti-competitive, monopolistic companies of this type.

iPhone? More like MyPhone scottw03's Avatar
    Thanks

Unless Apple or Hulu, whichever is responsible for it, allows all video content to be viewed in the app, I won't sign back up. Too many tv shows have to be viewed on the web only. When I can view them all on the ATV, iPad, etc... Then I will sign back up.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

They are affaid of to many itune suckers will stop buying episodes. lol

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by prgeno View Post
    Typical Apple. They build a platform supporting 3rd party apps, but severely restrict what both the 3rd party developers have access to in order to maximize their own profits. They keep APIs secret so their own developers have access to them but 3rd party developers don't. They hassle, rather than support their 3rd party developers. Weren't they part of the countless anti-trust lawsuits against Microsoft, claiming the same horrible practices? Apple has gone even further in their efforts to control the digital world. They decide if they will allow an 3rd party app to not only compete with one of their own, but also whether or not they will allow potentially competitive media to be accessed on their devices. Imagine the howls from Cuppertino if Microsoft had ever done that. Of if Samsung TVs only allow you to attach a cable box they produced and supplied media to. Oh, how the Apple lawyers would be spinning then. From a user perspective Apple once again proves you don't buy to own their devices. They are only letting you have the privilege of paying to borrow them under their very restrictive terms. They will tell you users what you need, and therefore can have. And you will like it! Obviously with the large population of Apple Fan Boys, they are right. But where is the non-fan boy outrage for them restricting your use of their very expensive toys? Closed platforms are exactly that, as are anti-competitive, monopolistic companies of this type.
    No need for outrage, we just quietly jailbreak our device and enjoy all the freedom of an open platform :P