Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [Review] Sophos Anti-Virus for Mac

My iPhone is a Part of Me hitman10's Avatar
    Thanks

Hm.. i got the MBP 15" march 2011 i7 2.3ghz 4gb and its running w/o any notice at all. while playing music videos, and on Microsoft word. My fan comes on for about a min at times then goes away. I doubt i have any viruses either.

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

It caught stuff for me that wasn't a virus just my zip files for my website business

I have over 1,000,000,000+files on my MacBook pro 2006 750gig that its truing to scan and it's running hot wouldn't exit screen saver had to hold down power and walk away, fans both spinning at max 5100rpm temp around 140

The program froze last night with 1.2 thousand files left, by froze I don't mean it said unresponsive it was on the same number file for over 10 min unless it for some reason checks movies that are 12 gigs or more I don't understand that

Any ideas?

Thanks

Default Silly!
    Quote Originally Posted by dennder View Post
    I haven't had antivirus on XP while i was winnows user, i won't have antivirus on a mac.
    Waste of resources and money.
    Common sense and a few precautions and you're okay.
    It's a same bandwagon as it always was... Antivirus won't help someone who clicks on everything and has blank admin pwd.
    Only a fool claims his ignorance as his strength!

eh, as i expected 0 threats detected...

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Based on all the comments here it sounds like there is a memory leak in this program. Contact the programmer... this thing shouldn't be eating all your memory guys...

Can somebody invent a software program that finds the people that create this ***** so that people with guns can go to these mischievous people and shoot their faces off???

Is there any protection for iPhone?

I just downloaded this and thought I would try it out. The scan started with Sophos taking up about 90% CPU. However after the first 15-30 seconds Sophos sits below 5% CPU and averages about 11.5MB or Mem used. I should mention that the CPU and Mem were taken from Activity Monitor. The 'top' command in terminal shows Sophos using about 85% CPU and 115 MB mem.

Based on comments from other users, there probably is some sort of memory leak but I have yet to experience it. Granted I have only use the app for a single scan.

I previously had iAntivirus, and so far i prefer Sophos because of the fact that it takes much less resources to run.
    Last edited by necktweaker; 11-01-2011 at 12:14 PM. Reason: formatting

Thanks

I have 6 gigs running and I get hangs

Like I said up top I have 1,000,000,000 miles for it to scan and the program froze at the last 1,200 files

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    Apple needs to just start providing their own free antivirus IMO...
    Knowing apple they will probably make you pay for the anti-virus...
    (Anti-Trojan if you want to be technical) just waiting for viruses to come. Might go back to pc, they both operate well, I predict rage on this post even tho I use both Mac and pc...lol?

Thanks

I use both Mac and Pc but more do my Mac
    I'm assuming there's new Trojans coming out cause Apple is starting to take more and more of the computer sales over the years

Maybe it's Dell employees wanting us to switch back to Windows and there laptops so they made a Trojan lol of course then there's the fact that Dell machines are junk anyways they only put junk in with junk for there systems

Quote Originally Posted by BenderRodriguez View Post
    I use both Mac and Pc but more do my Mac
    I'm assuming there's new Trojans coming out cause Apple is starting to take more and more of the computer sales over the years

Maybe it's Dell employees wanting us to switch back to Windows and there laptops so they made a Trojan lol of course then there's the fact that Dell machines are junk anyways they only put junk in with junk for there systems
    For me:
    Pc = gaming, HD movies, surfing the web.
    Mac= drawing, artistic, and my music needs

Oh and dell makes the worst computers for windows :P
    Better off with viao.
    Although noticed that hp computers don't like windows 7 black or bright.

The only time I notice it or it gets in the way is when I want to use splash top. Maybe I'll just use it periodically when I want to scan for viruses...BTW... anyone know where the status bar icons for this app are located? Can't seem to find them in the .app under resources like most other apps.tim

using the best anti-virus i know.. my brain - just joking, but as someone said, no anti-virus will help you if you click on and download everything. just know what you are doing and you'll be fine
    The time has come. Mac users should really start joining the bandwagon and begin arming their computers with some kind of security against malicious threats online.
    says who? sophos? who found those viruses and created the anti-virus..? yeah right..

Does this have real-time scanning?

Quote Originally Posted by satointl View Post
    Does this have real-time scanning?
    It only has on-demand scanning.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    It only has on-demand scanning.
    It does have realtime scanning.

Thanks

It does about 100,000 files in 1hour and 15-30 min

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12