+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: MacBook Airs Ship Simultaneously With Samsung and LG Displays

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Steve Jobs holds up the new unibody MacBook Air durring its unveiling. It was sometime after the MacBook Air's refresh this year that it was discovered that the MacBook Air
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default MacBook Airs Ship Simultaneously With Samsung and LG Displays

Steve Jobs holds up the new unibody MacBook Air durring its unveiling.

It was sometime after the MacBook Air's refresh this year that it was discovered that the MacBook Air was shipped with two different models of memory. Some were shipped with speedy Samsung flash memory and some were shipped with slower Toshiba flash memory. The speed difference was pretty noticeable and could be easily discovered using the free disk speed test from the Mac App Store. But flash memory isn't the only component of the MacBook Air that Apple had mixed feelings about.

Apple has been shipping recent MacBook Airs with not only mixed flash memory companies but also with separate displays as well. Some of the ultra-thin notebook's displays are produced by Samsung while some are produced by LG. Both screens are of high build quality and both will be good enough to make the user happy with the end product, but there's definitely a difference between the two that is noticeable when they are put side by side of one another. The Samsung screen screams colors while the LG screen is a little bit flat in color. That's not really a hardware problem, you can actually bring the LG display up to Samsung snuff by installing and activating a color profile on your Mac. This can be done from system preferences and you'll notice the sharper color immediately. Due to the nature of color change, you may feel that the color profile you install appears to be a little bit more green than the original. Anyone who's used the Application F.lux knows what it's like to have their screen color manipulated for the first time.

Directions for finding your display type and tweaking it, courtesy of OSX Daily:

Step 1. How do I know if I have an LG display or a Samsung display?
    The process for discerning what kind of display you have is easy. Open up a terminal window and type the following:

Hit enter, and look at the result. If it begins with an, "LP" then it's an LG screen. If it doesn't then it's a Samsung screen. If it's an LG screen your result might look something like this:
    Quote Originally Posted by OSXDaily
    LP133WP1-TJA3
    Color LCD
    If you have an LG display, you can move on to step two. If you have a Samsung display, then you're good to go.

Step 2. Getting the color profile to fix the colors.
    Begin by downloading this color profile to your desktop. You can download it anywhere but the desktop is recommended so that you can find it quicker in the upcoming steps.

From the Finder menubar, navigate to Go>Go to folder>/Library/ColorSync/Profiles/Displays/
    Once in that folder, move the color profile that you downloaded to your desktop into that folder, and enter your password to authenticate the moving of the file to that folder.

Step 3. Applying the color profile.
    Now that you have the color profile that you need moved to where it needs to be, you can open up System Preferences>Displays>Color. In the Color tab, uncheck the option that says, "Show profiles for this display only" so that you can see more options. You will see, "Color LCD" above the horizontal rule and you will see a second, "Color LCD" under the horizontal rule. Click the second one to apply the changes, you will see a color difference right away.

Why did Apple use a mix of LG and Samsung displays? Who knows. Maybe Apple struck a deal that could have saved them some money, or maybe they have a little bit of a stiff with Samsung. After all, this is the second time that Samsung has been replaced by another company in Apple's MacBook Air lineup.

I'm curious to see just how many people have LG displays and how many have Samsung displays. Leave a comment below! I have a MacBook Pro from mid 2011 and it has an LG display. So this Terminal test can be done from any Mac.

Sources: Mac1.no via OSX Daily
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 10-31-2011 at 04:17 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

I have a 2011 Macbook Air custom configured and have a LG display Would much rather the Samsung...

Thanks

Correction for terminal command it should be the following: [FONT=Courier New] ioreg -lw0 | grep IODisplayEDID | sed "/[^

Correction for terminal command, it should be the following: [FONT=Courier New][B]ioreg -lw0 | grep IODisplayEDID | sed "/[^

iPhone? More like MyPhone spider_romeo's Avatar
    Thanks

So which one better, Samsung or LG ?

Thanks

Trying to post correction for terminal command, it keeps on getting truncated. Here goes again, if this works it should end with a "minus six". [QUOTE]ioreg -lw0 | grep IODisplayEDID | sed "/[^

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spider_romeo View Post
    Neither are particularly better than the other. This will let you mimic the Samsung-like experience on the LG display though.

Thanks

Didn't work, I'll type it again below, please replace single quotes with double quotes in the expression below before pasting it into Terminal. The expression below ends with -6 [FONT=Courier New]ioreg -lw0 | grep IODisplayEDID | sed '/[^

OK, I've given up trying to type it here it keeps on getting truncated. Please find proper terminal command here: Apple secretly updated 13-inch Unibody MacBook screens - Computerworld Blogs
    Last edited by fisherg; 10-31-2011 at 04:01 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,865 Times in 2,205 Posts

Dang i got a Lg display as well

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    Neither are particularly better than the other. This will let you mimic the Samsung-like experience on the LG display though.
    Id say there's a big difference, one is made by the best tv manufacturers on the market today (IMHO) and the other one went by the name Gold Star, before changing there name to not sounding so low-end generic. I'd
    be pissed if I didn't get the Sammie.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fisherg View Post
    Didn't work, I'll type it again below, please replace single quotes with double quotes in the expression below before pasting it into Terminal. The expression below ends with -6 [FONT=Courier New]ioreg -lw0 | grep IODisplayEDID | sed '/[^

OK, I've given up trying to type it here it keeps on getting truncated. Please find proper terminal command here: Apple secretly updated 13-inch Unibody MacBook screens - Computerworld Blogs
    The proper Terminal command was there. Just like you, my command wasn't appearing all the way. I posted an image instead.

Green Apple
    Thanks

So is this (and the updated colour profile) only relevant to LG screen MBA or to LG MBPs too?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lukeyb View Post
    So is this (and the updated colour profile) only relevant to LG screen MBA or to LG MBPs too?
    The color profile will work for both.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Mine starts with "LTH". Would that be an LG or a Samsung screen? It looks pretty vivid to me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stefman_R View Post
    Mine starts with "LTH". Would that be an LG or a Samsung screen? It looks pretty vivid to me.
    If it's not "LP" then it's not LG.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I have a 2011 Macbook air 13" also custom configured. Just found out I have the LG as well. Applied the fix but now I want to know if I have the memory from LG. How do I tell? I am glad I read this cause I've actually felt my screen was a little off and I was always manually brightening it. Maybe with this fix it won't be as bad. Thank you

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    If it's not "LP" then it's not LG.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by kraziebone View Post
    I have a 2011 Macbook air 13" also custom configured. Just found out I have the LG as well. Applied the fix but now I want to know if I have the memory from LG. How do I tell? I am glad I read this cause I've actually felt my screen was a little off and I was always manually brightening it. Maybe with this fix it won't be as bad. Thank you
    Go into System Profiler and then Serial-ATA and look at what it says after APPLE SSD. If it is "SM..." then it's by Samsung and if it is "TS..." then it is by Toshiba.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kraziebone View Post
    You can tell by the above comment.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

LTH133BT01A03 , not LG thanks God. I will never buy any LG products anymore. Every LG phone my family owned is crapped itself in month or less.My next phone will be Samsung Note... I love Samsung products.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

I have decided to call Apple tomorrow and insist that my display be replaced. I custom configure my MBA to the max and expect a Samsung LCD, not a low end Toshiba.

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spider_romeo View Post
    Samsung. Samsung make better displays with better colours so naturally they'll be better. Hence why iPhone's screen can look washed out compared to Samsung LCD's because iPhones is by lame LG.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th