+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New Macintosh Trojan Dangerous Processing Power Thief [Yawn]

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default New Macintosh Trojan Dangerous Processing Power Thief [Yawn]

Yup... another one.

So recently, two big trojans were discovered by Sophos, a security company. One of them attacked and shut down your Apple Anti-Malware system, and one of them used your computer as a virtual tank that could shoot down websites with the power of DDoS from a remote control source. Now there's another one to be careful of. A new Mac OS X Trojan has been found which steals a video/graphics card's processing power to create Bitcoins. I know what a lot of you are going to ask. What's a Bitcoin?

Basically it's electronic currency. You can buy things online with them, or share money using them.

So.. it's a trojan that gives me virtual money? Where can I get it?
    No. It doesn't give you virtual money. It steals virtual money and there is absolutely nothing to gain from it. You don't want to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Intego
    This malware is complex, and performs many operations. It is a combination of several types of malware: It is a Trojan horse, since it is hidden inside other applications; it is a backdoor, as it opens ports and can accept commands from command and control servers; it is a stealer, as it steals data and Bitcoin virtual money; and it is a spyware, as it sends personal data to remote servers.
    The trojan is called OSX/Miner-D or DevilRobber. It's an advanced infection that spreads around the malware table in more than just the category of being a trojan. As Intego reported, it is not only a trojan but also a backdoor, stealer, and spyware. The infection can be caught using Intego Antivirus for Mac. It installs a Bitcoin miner (see video to understand what this is) on the infected computer called DiabloMiner, which is a legitimate Bitcoin miner.

So.. why the sudden interest in Bitcoins?
    Bitcoins are pretty valuable little hashes. They are virtual currency, so it's obvious why hackers want to get their hands on them. They are an easy pickpocket. "One Bitcoin is currently valued at around $3.20," (Macworld) which is a great profit to be made. Collecting $3.20 per pop will add up quickly and definitely sparks interest for malicious hackers. Bitcoins aren't only good for criminal hackers but also for legitimate users. Since a user can transfer Bitcoins, they are a virtual means of money and like any other form of currency they add up.

So.. you've rambled on about Bitcoins, but what does the trojan actually do?
    The trojan makes use of your GPU to create Bitcoins, even in the background. The GPU or graphics processing unit (the graphics/video card) is used to buffer graphics faster using either your RAM memory or its own built in dedicated memory. Because this trojan uses your GPU, your computer will become much hotter during use, and also you will notice slower gaming graphics rendering, video buffering, and image loading. In order to make use of the GPU, it also has to use your CPU or central processing unit (the processor of your computer). The trojan levels out your performance and renders your machine hot and sluggish; the same thing that would happen if you tried running a video game and compiling video in Final Cut Pro at the same time.

Just a little warm.. that's it?
    No not really. It's more than a trojan. It's also spyware. Graham Cluley, a Sophos senior technology consultant explained how the little infection can also, "spy on you by taking screen captures and stealing your usernames and passwords" in the background of whatever you are doing. So not only are the cyber thieves making a pocket full of Bitcoins but they also get to see everything you're doing and enter all of your accounts (including banking) which opens the door to even more money, or confidential information. Cluley also says, "In addition, it runs a script that copies information to a file called dump.txt regarding truecrypt data, Vidalia (TOR plugin for Firefox), your Safari browsing history and .bash_history."

How are people getting this infection?
    The program was discovered in a BitTorrent download of GraphicConverter 7.4, a popular image editor for Mac OS X. BitTorrent isn't a very highly advised program anyway it opens ports on your computer to unknown sources. Not to mention that it's used for piracy more than three quarters of the time. But just because the infection was discovered in this specific program download, Macworld warns that it could be existent in many other downloads as well.

The big question. How can I protect myself?
    People rocking Macs thinking that everything's 'all good' because of their market share need to open their eyes. Market share isn't a legitimate reason for security. It's not a reason at all; it's an excuse.

My recommendation for Mac users is to download an Anti-Virus and to be careful of what you download and when you enter your password. Never enter your password under any conditions unless you specifically meant for the prompt to appear. If a random window ever comes up asking for it, you should never enter it. Instead close the prompt.

There are two very good and free Anti-Virus programs for Mac. Both are beautiful, and both are very light on resources:
    Sophos Anti-Virus for Mac OS X
    PCTools iAntivirus for Mac OS X

Alternatively, if you want to pay for premium protection, I recommend Intego:
    Intego VirusBarrier X6 for Mac OS X

So everyone, be careful. Don't download suspicious files and most importantly, download something to protect yourself from being hit in the head with a brick. With the a new Macintosh trojan being discovered every week, you can never protect yourself enough.

Sources: Macworld

Livin the iPhone Life Bluemoldycheeze88's Avatar
    Thanks

I thought Mac's didn't need a antivirus program.

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

So this could be why my computer has been running slow the last 8ish days, how do u know for certain if u have it and how do u delete it without reformatting your hard drive?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BenderRodriguez View Post
    So this could be why my computer has been running slow the last 8ish days, how do u know for certain if u have it and how do u delete it without reformatting your hard drive?
    You can scan for it using Intego or Sophos.

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bluemoldycheeze88 View Post
    Your not really that gullible are you?
    Oh wait... I get it, sarcasm! Bwahahahahahahahah!

Thanks

I still don't get what a Bitcoin is. ;p

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

OMG so many trojans!!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Italia411's Avatar
    Thanks

I think I had it. My MacBook pro was getting hot as hell and was running sluggish. It took for ever to get to the desk top and even locked up sometimes. Websites would take longer then normal to load up and it even reset my computer a few times. Think i had it for over a month before I took action. I reformatted my hard drive and now it works like the day I bought it.

Livin the iPhone Life JedixJarf's Avatar
    Thanks

So awesome, to bad there isn't much money to be made with BC's anymore. Glad I sold off my gear when I did.

Thanks

it broked it all!

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

I think I may have it cause it's very slow and the only way to get it out of a freeze is to slightly readjust the screen 2 inch forward then back then it's fine for awhile

What?
    This doesn't make since but why does it work for me?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BenderRodriguez View Post
    I think I may have it cause it's very slow and the only way to get it out of a freeze is to slightly readjust the screen 2 inch forward then back then it's fine for awhile

What?
    This doesn't make since but why does it work for me?
    Moving the screen forward opens the airflow pathway more. Maybe yours is just overheating.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bluemoldycheeze88 View Post
    I don't have an antivirus program running all the time, but I do have one installed and I make it a point to run a full sweep at least once every other year.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

So for the past few months my MacBook pro has been freezing randomly during use mainly during online surfing using safari and especially during YouTube use. Now it's also happening while playing a game on the Mac. How old is this threat? Could this be a possibility? How could you get rid of this? Complete install of the os?

Thanks

To test if you are vulnerable to viruses open TextEdit and past:
    X5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*
    Into it then save it.If the file is not automatically Detected/Deleted then you are vulnerable.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikl87 View Post
    So for the past few months my MacBook pro has been freezing randomly during use mainly during online surfing using safari and especially during YouTube use. Now it's also happening while playing a game on the Mac. How old is this threat? Could this be a possibility? How could you get rid of this? Complete install of the os?
    It was made 2 days ago.
    Last edited by spazturtle; 10-31-2011 at 10:02 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by teej1410 View Post
    OMG so many trojans!!!
    There will be many more the more Macs take over a larger market share of PCs.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

Market share is not as big of an attraction as most think. It is somewhat but not huge reason. Think about back when OS9 was out. That had smaller market share yet had actual viruses and malware that would almost rival some of windows totals.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cer0 View Post
    Market share is not as big of an attraction as most think. It is somewhat but not huge reason. Think about back when OS9 was out. That had smaller market share yet had actual viruses and malware that would almost rival some of windows totals.
    True......but the more popular and widespread Macs become, the more they will be targeted by malicious hackers. It's inevitable.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Very interesting.. I read an article about Windows vs. Mac security a few days ago that was quite interesting as well: Apple security under attack: The view from Windows | Hacking - InfoWorld

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Will my ESET Cybersecurity antivirus software detect this new Trojan?