+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Retail Shoppers to Enjoy Self Checkout From Updated iOS App

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Making the shopping experience even more seamless is the goal of a new effort by Apple to allow retail shoppers to complete their in-store purchases through an iOS application for
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Apple Retail Shoppers to Enjoy Self Checkout From Updated iOS App

Making the shopping experience even more seamless is the goal of a new effort by Apple to allow retail shoppers to complete their in-store purchases through an iOS application for the iPhone.

If reports surfacing over the weekend prove accurate, the ability to finalize purchases at an Apple retail store will arrive - possibly - before the end of this week. The feature will arrive via an update to the official "Apple Store" app. As a result, users can then charge purchases to their iTunes Store account so long as that account is correspondingly linked to an Apple ID and credit card. According to the rumor mill, this option will only allow shoppers to purchase that which is accessible and available in store at that particular time.

Although the iPhone 4S didn't pack NFC technology (near field communications) for mobile purchases, this updated app feature should be the next best thing for now.

Earlier this month, Apple customers were - for the first time - given an opportunity to purchase a product online and then pick it up at their nearest Apple store (although this feature was just limited to the San Francisco area). Regardless, between Apple's newest shopping experience features, there's no doubt that the Cupertino tech giant is pulling out all the stops to make the shopping experience more convenient and hassle-free than ever before.

Source: MacRumors

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Eh, I don't know that this is all that handy. I mean someone is still going to be checking that you paid for your item, I would think, so I am not sure that this would save any time. At any Apple store I have ever been to at peak hours there are more than enough employees available to check you out pretty much instantly.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    Eh, I don't know that this is all that handy. I mean someone is still going to be checking that you paid for your item, I would think, so I am not sure that this would save any time. At any Apple store I have ever been to at peak hours there are more than enough employees available to check you out pretty much instantly.
    I agree surely it's quicker to simply pay with cash or card than:
    1. get phone out
    2. unlock it
    3. find app
    4. start app
    5. find item on it
    6. sign in with apple id and password
    7. purchasing item
    8. waithing for then to check it's gone through

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 3xpl05iv3 View Post
    1. get phone out
    2. unlock it
    3. find app
    4. start app
    5. find item on it
    7. purchasing item
    You can make anything sound long like that, and I would guess you don't have to find the item in a list, but scan it with the phone and it'll pull it all up for you.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 3xpl05iv3 View Post
    1. get phone out
    2. unlock it
    3. find app
    4. start app
    5. find item on it
    7. purchasing item
    Not only that... the last time I was there, the Apple employee basically did that with his iPhone and card scanner. If it includes a barcode scanner you can just grab what you want off the shelf and print to the stores receipt scanner