+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Article: Good News: Apple Bought C3 Technologies

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Apple could be conducting experiments to bring their Maps app to a more futuristic level. C3 Technologies is a 3D mapping company from Sweden. They specialize in creating 3D renderings
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 773 Posts

Default Good News: Apple Bought C3 Technologies

Apple could be conducting experiments to bring their Maps app to a more futuristic level.

C3 Technologies is a 3D mapping company from Sweden. They specialize in creating 3D renderings and Apple seems to think that C3 Technologies might be of use to them in the future. As we know, the iPhone 4S has a dual core GPU which can overtake the A4's capabilities by around seven or eight times. Apple wouldn't add this power for the sake of app developers' games alone – no.. Apple plans to make full use of this processor in one of it's own Apps; Maps. The things that C3 Technologies can provide for Apple's Maps are extensive. To highlight just a few, it would mean a very crisp 3D rendering of the world in real time without having to pre-load or buffer before viewing. It could also integrate very nicely with Google Maps, simply taking what Google has mapped out for streets and locations and sketching it out in a virtual form. C3 Technologies could even replace Google's part in the Maps app altogether. The 3D renders are built using technology that is "camera based" and originated from "declassified missile targeting methods" as 9to5Mac explains. The official company description is below:

Quote Originally Posted by C3 Technologies
    C3 Technologies is the leading provider of 3D mapping solutions, offering photo-realistic models of the world for search, navigation and geographic information systems. Since 2007 when it was spun out of the aerospace and defense company Saab AB, venture-backed C3 has redefined mapping by applying previously classified image processing technology to the development of 3D maps as a platform for new social and commercial applications. The Sweden-based company’s automated software and advanced algorithms enable C3 to rapidly assemble extremely precise 3D models, and seamlessly integrate them with traditional 2D maps, satellite images, street level photography and user generated images, that together are forever changing how people use maps and explore the world.
    To put into perspective just how powerful C3 Technologies can be, below are some videos that display the elegance and flexibility of this kind of mapping:

The Hoover Dam:

Oslo, Norway (YouTube video is mislabeled):

C3 Technologies would clearly be a more elegant experience than Google Maps. One prime difference is the quality. Google brings to us a birds' eye view of anywhere we peck an address into. We can see that address from a map view, satellite view, or a hybrid of the two. It's unfortunate to say, however that Google's street view isn't very elegant. It's foggy, doesn't always get the camera angle you want, and also it's stationary. C3 Technologies brings a fun solution to all three of these problems. Because the picture is a 3D render, it can be as crisp as your GPU can process. The camera angle can be any angle you want, because you can interact with it. And you can move around the 3D render with your touch. Below is a comparison of Boston, Massachusetts when looked at using Google Maps' satellite view versus C3 Technologies' very own 3D rendering:

Boston Massachusetts from Google Maps' birds' eye view:

Boston Massachusetts from C3 Technologies' very own 3D rendering:

I'm going to have to say I'm very excited to see what Apple can do with C3 Technologies. Will you be excited to see Apple bring this feature to the Maps app? Share in the comments below!

Sources: 9to5Mac
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 10-29-2011 at 01:10 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Breezy215's Avatar
    Thanks

nice!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Oslo is not in Sweden, it is in Norway.

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 773 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by raptorjr View Post
    Oslo is not in Sweden, it is in Norway.
    That's... very strange. I wonder why the YouTube video was labeled as such. Anyway, thanks for pointing that out.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

iOS GPS is just crap compared to other smartphones (*cough* Android). We likely won't see anything making its way to iOS for at least a year. Better late than never, I guess?

iPhone? More like MyPhone Lombardo Joe's Avatar
    Thanks

As long as it doesn't bomb my battery any harder than the current GPS does!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Siri-ous Improvement
    Very handy and interesting timing. Hasn't Google started changing (i.e. charging) 3rd party access to their technology when the hits go into the thousands?

Now, add this to Siri and iOS in car GPS begins to get competitive.
    Last edited by sandifop; 10-29-2011 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Add Title

My iPhone is a Part of Me klouud's Avatar
    Thanks

This is all neat... but I want turn by turn instead of "click by click"

Thanks

Thats awesome, I hope they implement this soon, speaking of maps and GPS. Has an one else had a problem with GPS accuracy on iOS 5 jailbroken with redsn0w on an iPhone 4? It just started happening since I upgraded, not a big deal but still bothers me.

Thanks

I got telenav for turn by turn its not great but it works, google kicks ***** with turn by turn but wont change my IOS for droid too unstable.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Daerid's Avatar
    Thanks

Short answer: YesQuestion: How long will it take for them to integrate? Chances are that this will be in the iPhone5, or later.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Very cool looking, but is a better picture worth it? I want to see how this uses battery before I get excited about it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This is what I am F***ING talking about... this will be the key for terrorists to have better view on their next targets... Apple is not thinking enough... good luck to all!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    iOS GPS is just crap compared to other smartphones (*cough* Android). We likely won't see anything making its way to iOS for at least a year. Better late than never, I guess?
    there is an app for that

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by duromega View Post
    there is an app for that
    It's still crap. I have found nothing the compare's to Google's navigation app on android. First off, it doesn't take up gigs and gigs of space on your phone. It is able to reroute you when traffic is bad. It's FREE. The list goes on my friend.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

iPhone? More like MyPhone DaLsim's Avatar
    Thanks

This'll B nice if it in tom tom R navigon?

Thanks

Augmented reality is the rapidly approaching future of ... well everything. Ultra realistic graphics replacing reality will turn the earth into a massive holodeck of sorts. I predict within a decade glasses or contact lenses will make the real world seem lame with augmented reality overlay.