+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Jailbreak Your Apple TV 2G on iOS 4.4.2 With Seas0nPass (Tethered)

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default Jailbreak Your Apple TV 2G on iOS 4.4.2 With Seas0nPass (Tethered)

If you are an Apple TV user, than you will be glad to hear that FireCore recently released an updated version of their jailbreaking tool Seas0nPass to support a tethered jailbreak for Apple TV 2Gs on iOS 4.4.x.

Apple released iOS 4.4 for the Apple TV just two weeks back along with the release of iOS 5. Since then, two minor updates have been released to fix bugs (iOS 4.4.1 and iOS 4.4.2). For the Apple TV, iOS 4.4.x included some big features such as:
    • AirPlay Mirroring: Now with video mirroring wirelessly stream whats on your iPad 2 screen to your HDTV.
    • Photo Stream: View photos recently taken on your iOS device and pushed to your Photo Stream in iCloud.
    • Trailers: A whole new way to browse and view hundreds of the latest theatrical trailers.
    • National Hockey League: Watch live games. View highlights, scores, and more.
    • Wall Street Journal Live: Watch up-to-date news, business commentary, and financial analysis from leading experts.
    As of right now, Seas0nPass only supports a tethered jailbreak for iOS 4.4.2 similar to how RedSn0w and Sn0wbreeze only support a tethered jailbreak for iOS 5.To jailbreak your Apple TV 2G, follow the steps below:

1. Download iOS 4.4.2 (9A336a) and save the IPSW somewhere easy to find.
    2. Download the latest version of Seas0nPass:3. Open Seas0nPass then press Option + Click (Mac) or press Shift + Click (PC) the Create IPSW button. Here, select the new IPSW file that was downloaded in Step 1.
    4. Let Seas0nPass complete the jailbreak and restore process (which it will do automatically)
    5. After the restore is complete, move your Apple TV to your TV and follow the steps provided to perform a Tethered Boot.

The FireCore team even went as far as providing a list of compatible plugins with iOS 4.4.2 for the Apple TV 2G:

Which plugins are supported on 4.4?
    If you dont mind having the tethered jailbreak, its probably a good idea to go ahead and update then re-jailbreak. For those of you who decide to go ahead and do that, let us know about your experience below!

Source: FireCore

iPhone? More like MyPhone smuggler's Avatar
    Thanks

Says my atv2 isnt authorized for the restore or something, ugh
    Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons.
    - Popular Mechanics, 1949

iPhone? More like MyPhone smuggler's Avatar
    Thanks

i get unknown error occurred 1600
    Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons.
    - Popular Mechanics, 1949

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I had the same issue, but what the instructions don't tell you is that you have to connect your ATV2 via usb (and not the power cord) to your Mac/PC FIRST and put it in DFU mode (hold menu and play for 7 seconds) BEFORE starting the process in Seasonpass.

I started the process in Seasonpass without having it plugged in and got the same error as mentioned by the previous posts.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    So I'm new tonjailbreaking my atv2. And was wondering where I can find the tweaks/apps to install. I know that u need to ssh to install them. But don't know where to get them.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This will help you install XBMC... HOW-TO:Install XBMC on Apple TV 2 - XBMC

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

I just wish my iPad 1 could do airplay mirroring.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,855 Times in 884 Posts

Just did mine today with no problems at all following the instructions from forecore.

I wish jb an iPhone was that easy!!! Season pass does everything for you it's amazing!!

Green Apple
    Thanks

i always have issues jailbreaking my aptv2...shits annoying....dont know why it doesnt work....

how do you know it works in the end?
    Last edited by sub zero; 10-30-2011 at 08:27 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    My Apple TV won't take power from USB. Is there any special kind of cable that is to be used or what?