+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Get Ready for Apple's Siri-Powered HDTV

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default Get Ready for Apple's Siri-Powered HDTV

According to a report today in The New York Times, Apple will all but certainly release a Siri-powered HDTV by 2013 - if not sooner. Sources close to Apple confirm that the TV is, indeed, coming. And it's going to be pretty sweet, largely as a result of Apple giving the standard remote control the boot.

"It’s the stuff of science fiction," writes Nick Bilton of The New York Times. "You sit on your couch and rather than fumble with several remotes or use hand gestures, you simply talk: 'Put on the last episode of Gossip Girl.' 'Play the local news headlines.' 'Play some Coldplay music videos.' Siri does the rest."

As we've all heard time and again since Steve Jobs passed away earlier this month, the late Apple CEO told his biographer Walter Isaacson that he had finally "cracked" the secret to building the ultimate connected-HDTV experience. Consequently, Apple's reportedly forthcoming new product line will deliver "the simplest user interface you could imagine."

Of course this experience goes beyond just playing TV shows or the local news. As the line between television programming and Web content continues to erode, a Siri-powered television would become more necessary. You aren’t going to want to flip through file folders or baskets of content, checking off what you want. Telling Siri to “play videos of cute cats falling asleep” would return an endless YouTube stream of adorable napping fur balls.

Today's report suggests that Apple has been working on this product since 2007 and only a small amount of work remains to be done before the product is technically ready. So why is Apple waiting until at least 2013 to release it? Because the components are presently so expensive that the high price tag will be a huge turn off for most Apple fans, no matter how ravenous they are for Apple products.

Source: New York Times

Thanks
    Thanked 1,754 Times in 891 Posts

The price of the tv is going to be huge. Almost the same as a new small car. It scares me to think of how much it may cost....

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KraXik View Post
    The price of the tv is going to be huge. Almost the same as a new small car. It scares me to think of how much it may cost....
    You'll have to wait until everyone else buys it, the kinks are worked out and the costs come down....

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcondemi View Post
    You'll have to wait until everyone else buys it, the kinks are worked out and the costs come down....
    Apple doesn't do that lol.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KraXik View Post
    I seriously doubt apple would do that. Im sure itll be a bit more than a regular TV but panels are getting pretty cheap already and I doubt even the biggest apple lover would drop too much over 2,000 on it. I wouldn't even be surprised if you purchased a subscription of some type with it that could help break down the upfront cost a bit.
    make it a great day!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

And then a year later, they'll have a new one and everyone will have to run out and get that one.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to GmAz For This Useful Post:

raduga (10-28-2011)

Thanks

the tv sounds nice and dandy but what about the movies/ shows content? how will that all work out? will there be a new way to watch only content you like without paying a **** ton of money a month? The problem i have right now is i pay sooo much for ****** channels i dont care about yet the content i really want, i would have to pay extra for. I would love to pay for a certain amount of channels that i can pick myself for a certain agreeable price. Now if Apple can fix how fuked up this is, then I will buy it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by indyracer05 View Post
    the tv sounds nice and dandy but what about the movies/ shows content? how will that all work out? will there be a new way to watch only content you like without paying a **** ton of money a month? The problem i have right now is i pay sooo much for ****** channels i dont care about yet the content i really want, i would have to pay extra for. I would love to pay for a certain amount of channels that i can pick myself for a certain agreeable price. Now if Apple can fix how fuked up this is, then I will buy it.
    Only paying for the channels you're actually interested in watching!? Well, that's a hell of an idea. +1 to that.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Better be a plasma..

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

Will we still be able to talk during movies and tv shows or is siri going to change Chanel's and stuff on us lol

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Use a plasma panel.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,080 Times in 936 Posts

Maybe it'll be Retina Display! LOL! Then it will cost the price of a car!

iPhone? More like MyPhone DaLsim's Avatar
    Thanks

what will apple come up next? icar?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

my best friend works at a computer chip making company and he tells me all the time about products that won't be coming out for years after he's produced the product, but i just always think and it partakes to apple is if you wait so long like the article says the tv has been in works since 2007...how long is it till its really outdated and non ground breaking.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by imnothardcore View Post
    I seriously doubt apple would do that. Im sure itll be a bit more than a regular TV but panels are getting pretty cheap already and I doubt even the biggest apple lover would drop too much over 2,000 on it. I wouldn't even be surprised if you purchased a subscription of some type with it that could help break down the upfront cost a bit.
    Apple lovers already drop a cool thousand on the cinema displays, and those are only 27"... Gorgeous display, but not $1000 gorgeous IMO.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm excited, Siri powered TV is going to change the way we watch/use a television! Of course the price tag is going to be huge, but you get what you pay for!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

After apple really developed the TV and the TV is selling good, I assume few months or years later Samsung and Sony (Both leaders of TV right now) will somehow copy apple like the smartphone.
    And there will be something like DroidTV Operating System!
    Or Samsung Mistletoe (Codename for TV) [I Googled for Samsung fantasy and extreme and it existed!!]

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I wouldn`t buy new panel every other year. apple TV is strange but cheap device at $100 price tag. Update it every year and millions or people will buy it. I will not. My HTPC can do the same things and then some.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,722 Times in 852 Posts

So, what if someone on TV says, "Channel 4 News", will Siri pick up "Channel four" and then change the channel? How can it distinguish between a human voice and a voice from a TV speaker? I'm assuming they've figured this out.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    So, what if someone on TV says, "Channel 4 News", will Siri pick up "Channel four" and then change the channel? How can it distinguish between a human voice and a voice from a TV speaker? I'm assuming they've figured this out.
    r u siri us?