+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New Macintosh Trojan Turns Your Mac Into a Virtual Website Attacker

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Another Macintosh trojan hits the wild. The last Macintosh trojan that we reported on was named Flashback.C, and would execute after you opened a .dmg file posing to be Adobe
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default New Macintosh Trojan Turns Your Mac Into a Virtual Website Attacker

Another Macintosh trojan hits the wild.

The last Macintosh trojan that we reported on was named Flashback.C, and would execute after you opened a .dmg file posing to be Adobe Flash player. It would install and disable your Apple Anti-Malware system. If you had LittleSnitch installed, the trojan would not execute, instead automatically delete itself.

Now, another Macintosh trojan is on the loose. This trojan was originally made for Linux systems, but was ported to Mac OS by a couple of hackers. It's called OSX/Tsnunami.A and it uses your computer and internet connection to attack Web Sites. The Linux build of the trojan was known as Linux/Tsnunami or Troj/Kaiten.

How does it do that?
    OSX/Tsnunami.A is installed on your computer, and sets itself up with internet servers through IRC and waits for users in those IRC's to enter commands for the trojan to execute. When activated, it will attack a Web Site with Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attacks. What this means is that the trojan will repeatedly send bulks of requests to a Web Site until it crashes. Effects will be similar to how Apple's website (more specifically the iOS 5 update servers) crashed due to the huge volume of users trying to update at once. That being said, this trojan can cause huge problems for Web Sites and the unaware user would be denying service to a Web Site, which is generally unlawful under intentional circumstances. So the trojan could be setting you up for more than just downing a Web Site, but it makes your machine a hotspot for agents investigating the issue.

Does it do anything else?
    Yes. OSX/Tsnunami.A not only makes your computer attack Web Sites, but it also it attempts to fill your computer with more malware. Generally this wouldn't be too bad of an issue, as the Apple Anti-Malware is not disabled by this trojan. Most of it would be forbidden to execute from the start. But a mix of this trojan, plus the Flashback.C trojan is an ugly combination.

I warn all Mac users to be careful of what they are downloading. Make sure that all downloaded .Dmg files or any kind of file that can be executed are legitimate and downloaded from the official websites. These types of trojans are only installed by inadvertently downloading a fake .Dmg file and installing it. These kinds of trojans can only be installed after the users permits the installation by entering their system password. So please be cautious how you enter your password. If you don't have LittleSnitch, I highly recommend the investment, as it will help keep some of the problems such as Flashback.C out of your system. OSX/Tsnunami.A is definitely not a problem that you want to deal with.

Sophos Anti-Virus for Mac has been updated to find and terminate OSX/Tsnunami.A. I recommend it if you are in fear that this trojan could potentially put you at risk, that you install Sophos.

Sources: NakedSecurity
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 10-26-2011 at 05:57 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Lombardo Joe's Avatar
    Thanks

Anonymous? Usually they have direction in DDoS attacks, not really just at random.

Edit: Maybe I read this wrong... It's controlled by the people in the IRC client once it hooks up with them?

Thanks

Wow...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lombardo Joe View Post
    Maybe I read this wrong... It's controlled by the people in the IRC client once it hooks up with them?
    Correct.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Lombardo Joe's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    Correct.
    Ahhh. That makes sense. At random wouldn't be powerful for enough for a DDoS to 'work' if everyone was attempting to access different servers. Wow, this dangerous.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i guess a future security update should take care of this problem right?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RobertZama View Post
    i guess a future security update should take care of this problem right?
    Apple has a list that they update daily for things like this. That was the big thing with the last malware because it actually disabled this list; or cleared it out.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Cellular's Avatar
    Thanks

Finally Mac users can stop saying "I don't need anti virus like windows does"
    With Macs increasing in popularity it's only a matter of time till macs have as much viruses as windows.
    Then a business of anti virus for Mac will come about and hopefully increase jobs. :/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

Mac users still have to input admin password to install it in the first place.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cer0 For This Useful Post:

A Retired Mod (10-27-2011), raduga (10-26-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cellular View Post
    With Macs increasing in popularity it's only a matter of time till macs have as much viruses as windows.
    Then a business of anti virus for Mac will come about and hopefully increase jobs. :/
    I'm not surprised... Owning Apple products is more of a trend with todays generation! I see students my fellow students using Macs and iDevices for simplistic uses such as web browsing. I laugh as they spend thousands of dollars on outdated hardware just to look cool!

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Actually we still can say that, we don't have to have one at all. Unless you're dumb enough to download and install this yourself (in which case you deserve to have it on your computer) you're fine without any anti-virus program...

Quote Originally Posted by iBwizzle View Post
    I'm not surprised... Owning Apple products is more of a trend with todays generation! I see students my fellow students using Macs and iDevices for simplistic uses such as web browsing. I laugh as they spend thousands of dollars on outdated hardware just to look cool!
    I don't even know where to start with this one...Apple users fork out the money because the product we get is simple and works very well. If people want to buy a product because its trendy then that's cool, but the fact of the matter is that Apple makes great products that people all around the world enjoy. They don't have to make a million different phones for customers to enjoy their product, they make one every year that out sells everything else because they do it right
    Last edited by steve-z17; 10-26-2011 at 11:21 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone thekirbylover's Avatar
    Thanks

I wonder if the creators of this knew that their IRC server can also be DDoSed, due to the number of infected computers connecting to it?

iPhone? More like MyPhone smuggler's Avatar
    Thanks

There has never been a virus on a mac, no need for anti-virus software, this is a trojan, something completely diff than a virus, plus you have to be stupid enough to install it yourself, u windows users are too envious, save up a little extra money and protect yourself with a mac
    Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons.
    - Popular Mechanics, 1949

Thanks

Rofl!?
    If I am going to spend 1 grand on a "High end Mac laptop" I would rather spend that money on a Sony windows laptop (customized) and get my money's worth.
    $1000 windows laptop = last up to 4 years
    V.s. the latest Mac and get outdated again in a few months...you spend more on the name than u spend on a on the hardware it's self.
    FYI windows takes 10 secs to load and log in my account with ssd.

Thanks

Rofl!?
    If I am going to spend 1 grand on a "High end Mac laptop" I would rather spend that money on a Sony windows laptop (customized) and get my money's worth.
    V.s. the latest Mac and get outdated again in a few months...you spend more on the name than u spend on a on the hardware it's self.
    The latest Macs are only outdated quickly because Apple updates their lines with the latest hardware very rapidly. Companies like HP and Sony are still building computers with Intel Pentium processors.

Let's talk about your boot time now. Windows boots up quickly, but when you log in everything needs to start booting up (your startup programs). So in reality it takes longer than 10 seconds before you can start fluidly using your computer. Mac OS brings up startup programs while you're on the login screen but suspends them until you log on (the boot process still happens on a Mac but it is much more efficient on timing). This method of booting up means Mac OS can boot up more quickly after you log on. I.E. the boot process. A Mac operating on an SSD can be faster.
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 10-27-2011 at 11:09 AM.

Thanks

I have been owned D:
    Well this was a good way to pass the time

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Rofl!?
    1 why are you on this website if you don't use apple
    And second I hate hearing/ reading dumb remarks like this. I had a dell xps studio when it came out and 6 months later I had a blue screen of death. That computer was more than a grand do you really think a sony will last 4 years? If you do you need a reality check. Here it is windows and pc are ****. My first Mac mini lasted for 3 years and I just sold it in perfect condition. Now I'm on my second Mac product and it's still amazing. The software might get out dated nd then what? Update it. The hardware maybe but does it still work? it'll work for years if you take care of it. FYI I never have to turn my Mac off so i don't need to login. get an apple and then say you love windows

Thanks

Rofl!?
    My dad has a 12 year old, basically STOCK(upgraded memory, changed battery) iBook.
    EAT IT, PC.. hahaha

Sure, MBP's are get outdated, but only because apple refreshes...with new processors, or technology...

I'm not about to say more. TWELVE YEAR OLD IBOOK!

4 years? LMFAO