Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Article: Jobs Left iTunes Creator Jeff Robbin In Charge Of Apple Television Project

Thanks

Default Jobs Left iTunes Creator Jeff Robbin's In Charge Of Apple Television Project

The co-lead in the creation of the original iPod (with Tony Fadell) and the person who built iTunes, Jeff Robin, is supposedly heading up Apple’s television efforts according to a Bloomberg report. Apple seems to be turning to the software engineer who built iTunes to help lead its development of a television set, according to three people with knowledge of the project.

The rumors of Apple working on a television set has been seeing a large amount of buzz lately due to a quote found in Steve Job’s biography where he said he had “finally cracked” the problems standing in the way of an Apple television set. Robbin’s role is to help Apple integrate seamless content search features into the device."For example, instead of having to separately check to see if a movie or show is available through Netflix or a cable service, all the material could be integrated," according to Bloomberg’s report. This would really transform the television market, which would cause competitors to also release such features to keep up with the competition.

Robbin has worked as a system software engineer at Apple in the ‘90s before leaving to work on his own software project. He moved on to a software publisher role at Casady & Greene where he helped developed the SoundJam MP MP3 player software. Apple had ended up purchasing the right for SoundJam from Casady & Greene in the year 2000, bringing Robbin back into Apple, this time as the head to the software transformation into iTunes. He also ended up playing a large role in the development of the iPod as he was listed among the inventors of several key iPod-related filings. As of right now, he is the Vice President of Consumer Applications and Lead Software Designer for iTunes.

It was also revealed in Jobs’ bestselling biography that Jobs refused to allow a Time magazine reported use the engineer’s full name in an article because he was afraid that other companies would try to poach Robbin. Furthermore, Robbins was one of the Apple executives who successfully lobbied Jobs to allow a Windows version of iTunes (which has opened up iOS devices to a slew of new customers). Walter Isaacson also quoted Jobs in an interview saying that he wanted to make television sets “simple and elegant,” just like what he had done with computers, music players, and phones. Thinking about this in hindsight, Apple has provided a large use of ease and elegance with these products, so the future of an Apple television set looks promising. Someone as innovative and experienced as Robbin would be the excellent person to spearhead the effort.

I am looking forward to seeing what Jeff Robbin will contribute to the Apple television set. Jobs saw potential in him when it came to tackiling the project and there were probably many reasons for this. The thought of having an Apple television set is exciting as I imagine it would be deeply integrated with the existing iOS devices, which would provide a whole new level of convenience. Not only that but the aesthetics that Apple products provide are usually a step up from most products that other companies offer, I'd imagine the television set to be no different.

What do you think of the possibility of an Apple television set? If it was to be released, do you think you would get it? Share your thoughts and opinions below!

Source: Bloomberg

My iPhone is a Part of Me keenpois0n's Avatar
    Thanks

a step up minus functionality, brought to us by devs

I'd look into the possibility of buying a Apple TV, with integrated iOS. FaceTime, Siri, Hard drive, the options are limitless. There'd be no reason to have the original Apple TV, it could have its own DVR, as well.

Livin the iPhone Life Bluemoldycheeze88's Avatar
    Thanks

That would really suck if there was no iTunes or iOS devices on windows. Can't wait for apple HDTV

iPhone? More like MyPhone lillstar12's Avatar
    Thanks

I would buy one now if i could i really hope they release one soon my tv is on its way out grr

I've been waiting for years for a 50" Apple TV, I can't wait to see how these turn out. If they have resolution as good or better than the 27" iMacs I'll buy one immediately. As it is the picture quality of the 27" iMac is better than any HDTV on the market, with a much higher resolution too. I just hope Apple allows HDMI input with 1080p resolution. I've been using my iMac to watch blu-rays but unfortunately the mini DVI port only accepts 720p and 1440p signals so the blu-ray player has to default to 720.

If its anything like iTunes, then its going to be a major fail

That tv will be expensive 

The guy who made iTunes?You mean the worlds worst designed software ever??this this has fail written all over it.Best thing about iOS 5 was not having to use iTunes.I'm sure I'm not alone in feeling this way.

Thanks

Pricing is a factor and many LED tvs r smartv with apps and fully 3D like LG Samsung with built in wifi connectivity so possibly a fail for apple.
    Also no Blu Ray drives in the newly refreshed MacBook pro line as Sony has 3D compatibility and Blu ray covered in ps3.
    Last edited by mikerlx; 10-25-2011 at 03:14 AM.

I'll buy it if it can run iOS apps.

Thanks

Everybody has beef with iTunes, I don't understand... iTunes is not pretty but it looks simple and professional. It works fantastic, syncing works great(takes a bit long depending on your USB), you can burn music... I don't know maybe I'm easy to please but all I know is iTunes works.

iPhone? More like MyPhone davesnothere11's Avatar
    Thanks

I have no desire to spend big money on a tv that will be systematically made to be obsolete in two or three years.

3D - ill buy it, no 3D = no thanks.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wohhey View Post
    3D - ill buy it, no 3D = no thanks.
    Remember. Apple will design what they think consumers want. Locked down iOS, no 3D, no Blu-ray, etc.

It would be elegant, but options would be limited...

iPhone? More like MyPhone RoloDiva13's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by duromega View Post
    That tv will be expensive 
    My thoughts exactly...that's why I'm going to start saving up now. If rumors are true of a late 2012 release I should be good

Quote Originally Posted by Bluemoldycheeze88 View Post
    That would really suck if there was no iTunes or iOS devices on windows.
    Ya I don't wanna buy a $2000 Mac just to use my iPhone or iPod

Quote Originally Posted by prestone683 View Post
    Remember. Apple will design what they think consumers want. Locked down iOS, no 3D, no Blu-ray, etc.

It would be elegant, but options would be limited...
    Limited? hello!? add jailbreak to the equation and you got limitless

Not at the cost of over $2,000+? No thank...

Green Apple
    Thanks

Alright. Here's my 2 cents on the upcoming Apple television set.

I think this TV will be much more than a TV, in the traditional sense.First off. This HDTV will take over the spot from the existing Apple TV, and in that sense, it will be the next generation Apple TV.
    It will probably have the A6 processor built in, to handle Full fledged apps and games; I have no doubt in my mind that Apple intend to create an Appstore for Apple TV (Maybe also for the current generation), to compete with current TV game systems (PS, Xbox, Wii). The remote will also be used as game controller, like a Wii-remote.
    Also the IR sensors in the TV will be much better than those in the Wii sensor-bar; it will be able to distinguish IR signals from different remotes. Each will have its own signature (For multiplayer), and IR signals from non-Apple remotes, the sun, and other random sources will not be able to interfere with the signal. So the remote will always function properly regardless of interfering signals and noise.
    I don't believe the TV will have a harddrive. Rather it will have flash memory similar to the iPod touch and iPhone (something like 64 Gb).
    It will run iOS just like the current Apple TV, but the OS will receive a major overhaul. With tons of new features, among these new features of course a lot of exclusive television specific features.
    The TV will have a built in HD camera for Facetime and apps, and will be able to connect to any WiFi hotspot, even Ad-hoc networks.
    There will be at least two sizes to choose from, and the Apple HDTV will be in the same price range as the current iMac's.

Now I will wait and see how much of this comes true

*Do note that I have absolutely NO real knowledge about this product, and this is all complete speculation*
    Last edited by DuRoLuRo; 10-25-2011 at 11:50 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast