+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Sees a Dismal Time for Hard Disk Drives

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
The hard disk drive may become more scarce as Thailand companies suffer from floods. Hard disk drives are the main storage units that hold information on almost every personal computer.
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple Sees a Dismal Time for Hard Disk Drives

The hard disk drive may become more scarce as Thailand companies suffer from floods.

Hard disk drives are the main storage units that hold information on almost every personal computer. They are an important part of the computer that allows the machine to write down data using binary machine language. More importantly, information is saved in bytes. Hard disk drives have a reputation for being very high in the number of bytes that they can store. Flash storage – solid state drives – don't come close to the number of bytes that a hard disk drive can hold and for that, hard disk drives are the primary choice for media storage while people use generally small to medium sized solid state drives for boot. What this means is that solid state drives are convenient for loading just the operating system and all of your applications on, that way they will launch faster. Additionally, you can use a rather small sized solid state drive to do this – anywhere from 64-128GB. In doing so, you relinquish storage. This is where hard disk drives shine and is the primary reason that people choose to load media on them. It works as a hybrid of the two, where you can launch your computer, and its applications very quickly, and then have a ton of storage for things that you do inside of your applications (for example, videos from video editing in Final Cut Pro).

As solid state drives (or all kinds of flash memory in general) becomes cheaper and replaces hard drives in numerous devices; personal computers, iPods, tablets, and more – hard disk drives are becoming so increasingly cheap that people have been gobbling up the 1-2TB storage units for as little as $40-80. But with hard disk drives keeping their rather low read and write speeds and with solid state drives bringing speeds up to ten times faster than traditional hard disk drives, they're hard to resist for the PC-tinkering drag racers.

Apple realizes the speed and potential of solid state drives over hard disk drives. Apple sells their MacBook Airs standard with flash storage for optimal boot times and quick program launch speeds. In addition to speed, flash memory sees a greater battery performance than hard disk drives because there are no moving parts that need to run at all times for the device to work. Despite the fact that these upsides to flash storage make it a, "gimme, gimme" by consumers, that's not the reason why Apple sees hard drives as becoming a scarcity. In fact it has nothing to do with performance, or even sales at all.

Some of Apple's major hard disk drive producers come from Thailand; Thailand supports around 25% of the world's hard disk drive production (iSuppli). Thailand has been bombarded with floods, many of which are forcing hard disk drive manufacturing companies to shut down and cease services. Due to the country bracing for more tides and floods, companies need to stop producing and begin temporarily closing. Floods are expected to stay around for over a month. This is the worst flooding to affect Thailand for almost half of a century.

With hard disk drives becoming scarce until companies can get up and running again after the floods, Apple will have a hard time delivering hard disk drives to their consumers; putting more emphasis on solid state drives (which are more expensive), "Like many others, we source many components from Thailand and have multiple factories that supply these components. There are several factories that are currently not operable, and the recovery timeline for these factories is not known at this point. We would say that our primary exposure is on the Mac...I'm virtually certain there will be an overall industry shortage of disk drives as a result of the disaster" (Cook, Apple Inc.). Inevitably, Apple, like many other PC manufacturers, are going to have to deal with some turbulence.

One of the biggest problems has to do with hard drive motors. The company Nidec is a supplier of around 70-80 percent of the world's hard drive motors. Nidec is one of the companies suffering from floods in Thailand that builds hard drive motors for Western Digital, Seagate, Hitachi, and Toshiba. These four companies also have factories in Thailand which need to halt production due not only to the floods but also because of shortage of the motors they need from Nidec.

Because the floods in Thailand are expected to be a short-term event of about a month, hard disk drive prices are not expected to rise at noticeable amounts. The only time you would have to worry about rising prices is if after a month another problem strikes and causes the companies to continue halting production. As of now, the companies already have a few weeks of stock to keep shipping out, so production will be slow to start again however there's enough inventory to keep the demand running for a while. Solid state drive manufacturers in Thailand are not expected to be as affected by the floods as hard disk drive manufacturers.

Sources: CNET
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 10-23-2011 at 04:52 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Lombardo Joe's Avatar
    Thanks

Beat. Good thing I'm too poor to be in the market for new hardware right now, anyway!

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

I hate this I just put a 750gig drive in my laptop and I'm down to 120gigs left now I can't update to a new MacBook and swap the harddrive?

What the heck apple 128gigs is just to small

Thanks

Thailand isn't the only country to manufacture hard drives.

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by James1o1o View Post
    Thailand isn't the only country to manufacture hard drives.
    ...Right...

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Hard disk drives ... are an important part of the computer that allows the machine to write down data using binary machine language.
    Complete failure of a description. HDDs don't save "binary machine language." They store magnetically polarized particles in MFM (Modified Frequency Modulation) that is then decoded into 1s and 0s. Even then, it's not "machine language." The 1s and 0s are the raw data stored including ECC and cylinder/track/sector tracking, mapping, and alignment info at the lowest levels, partition and filesystem data on higher levels, and data for any "language" at the actual file level. It isn't "machine code" just because it's 1s and 0s. EVERY byte is 8 bits (1s or 0s) so EVERY "language" is still represented as binary... even text.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CZroe For This Useful Post:

raduga (10-23-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone ChSchuldiner's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
    Complete failure of a description. HDDs don't save "binary machine language." They store magnetically polarized particles in MFM (Modified Frequency Modulation) that is then decoded into 1s and 0s. Even then, it's not "machine language." The 1s and 0s are the raw data stored including ECC and cylinder/track/sector tracking, mapping, and alignment info at the lowest levels, partition and filesystem data on higher levels, and data for any "language" at the actual file level. It isn't "machine code" just because it's 1s and 0s. EVERY byte is 8 bits (1s or 0s) so EVERY "language" is still represented as binary... even text.
    I like the writer's description better. It doesn't make me scratch my head.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ChSchuldiner View Post
    +1

Green Apple
    Thanks

We're already seeing a big increase in HDD prices. 2TB drives could be had for $70-80 and now the same ones are $100+.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I love my 120gb SSD in my computer. But at the same time, I need my 2TB drive for storage. 120gb is more than enough for Win7 and my programs, but there i no reason to have 600gigs of movies, 100gigs of family photos and whatever else crap I have on my 2TB to be on an SSD. My movie or music or picture file will open just as fast on a traditional hard drive as it would on an SSD. However, if Apple only puts in a SSD and no room for a normal hard drive...HAHAHAHAHAH....Apple just said open wide and you took their load.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lombardo Joe View Post
    Beat. Good thing I'm too poor to be in the market for new hardware right now, anyway!
    lol.

iPhone? More like MyPhone spooneditr's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
    You copy and paste that from some where? Geez

Your mom has "spirit" but I used my "pwnage tool" on her all night long and "ultrasn0wed" all over her. haha

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GmAz View Post
    I love my 120gb SSD in my computer. But at the same time, I need my 2TB drive for storage. 120gb is more than enough for Win7 and my programs, but there i no reason to have 600gigs of movies, 100gigs of family photos and whatever else crap I have on my 2TB to be on an SSD. My movie or music or picture file will open just as fast on a traditional hard drive as it would on an SSD. However, if Apple only puts in a SSD and no room for a normal hard drive...HAHAHAHAHAH....Apple just said open wide and you took their load.
    He's half right if Apple does this the computer market fight with windows will stay at almost a constant or windows will increase

I said earlier I have a 750gig and it's down to 120gigs left but it's mostly movies

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ChSchuldiner View Post
    I would like his better too if he said "binary" instead of "binary machine language," but he didn't. I was asking that he not needlessly misinform people. I wasn't proposing a substitution. The closest thing to "machine language" would be assembly language (machine code). ANY language can be represented in binary.

Quote Originally Posted by spooneditr View Post
    You copy and paste that from some where? Geez
    No. I took a CompTIA A+ class in 1998 when I was a teenager. Search for it online if you think I copied it. LERN SUMTHING.
    Last edited by CZroe; 02-01-2012 at 10:26 AM.