Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPad Cannibalization – Barely Dents Mac Sales

Thanks

Default iPad Cannibalization – Barely Dents Mac Sales

Along with the past quarter’s iPad sales, the Mac sales were one of the highlights of Apple’s quarterly earnings. Apple ended up selling 4.89 million Macs, which is a 26 percent increase over the quarter from last year.

Although Apple’s CEO Tim Cook mentioned that he was pleased about the Mac performance, but in response to an analyst question he did confirm that some customers are buying the iPad instead of the Mac. The reasoning behind the purchase of the iPad was that it is inexpensive and easy to use, which are two features that appeal to the average consumer.

The Macs aren’t as hard hit by the “iPad cannibalization” (as many are calling it around the internet) as the PC market. Cook mentioned that the number of people choosing to buy an iPad instead of a Windows PC is much larger than the number of people choosing to buy an iPad over a Mac notebook. This seems to make sense due to the fact that Mac notebooks usually cost over $1,000 whereas the iPad is in a price range along with many Windows PCs.

Cook; along with many analysts believe that the tablet market will one day eclipse the PC market. This is certainly a prediction that favors Apple since ¾ of all tablet sales are of the iPad.

What do you think of the news? Do you agree that someday tablets will eclipse the PC market? Let us know in the comments below!

Source: Apple

I don't tablets can compeletly take over the PC, though I wouldn't be surprised if the tablets become much more powerful and flexible to use. Probably the general public's going to lean toward tablets, but PC's gonna stay and become more beast than it is, probably gonna be only for professionals use only. As a graphic designer and artist, I've been dreaming of pressure sensitive tablets to be produced. Not like one of those $20,000 Wacom screen tablet but actually like an iPad that can understand pressure. and to my second thought it would be awesome to see if Wacom and Apple could to a collaborative project.
    Last edited by xNEOxGENESISx; 10-19-2011 at 12:24 AM.

Default Agree and but not fight
    Quote Originally Posted by xNEOxGENESISx View Post
    I don't tablets can compeletly take over the PC, though I wouldn't be surprised if the tablets become much more powerful and flexible to use. Probably the general public's going to lean toward tablets, but PC's gonna stay and become more beast than it is, probably gonna be only for professionals use only. I've been dreaming of pressure sensitive tablets to be produced. Not like one of those $20,000 Wacom screen tablet but actually like an iPad that can understand pressure.
    I agree with xNEOxGENESISx almost 100%, although i believe that the ipad/tablet could absolutely destroy the PC on the average consumer level but never for some of the prof. applications that PC's are required for. I too would love to see accurately pressure sensitive ipad tablets for design and photo work.

Why are you asking for our opinions... "Siri... Will Apple one day rule the world?"

Thanks

I agree, my ipad, has all the features for working efficiently with Pages, hp home&biz apps for word processing and printing. iOS 5 has the split keyboard for comfort. I have front facing cam to speak to professors. More than likely there is an app equivalent to specialized Window software.

I don't see tablets taking over computers anytime in the near future, but I do anticipate a hybrid tablet/laptop. Instead of having a screen that hinges down over the keyboard, you have a little dock where you can attach your tablet. Under the keyboard is still a full computer, complete with a motherboard, hard drive, etc. When you attach the tablet to the keyboard it simply turns into a monitor for the computer under the keyboard. When you remove the tablet it switches to tablet mode.

Of course, you'd have the option to use either OS when it is docked.

I have two iPad 2s and two Apple TVs in my house along with two laptops. I pretty much stopped using my laptop and use my iPad 2 almost exclusively. My laptop (Lenova, with 2.2 Ghz processor, 3 GB RAM, 149 GB HDD) has pretty much become a media center for the ATVs and iPads. Sits on my mantel attached to a 3 TB Seagate External HDD which my itunes movies/TV shows are stored on.

My plan for the future is probably get another LCD TV (only have one at the moment) and later get a qual core processor (or higher at that time) tower PC and hook it up to the LCD TV as the monitor. That will then be the media hub for my house. It will stream our movies/TV shows to the rest of the house through the ATVs and iPads. Having the iPads pretty much eliminated the need to lug a laptop with me where ever I go. Looking forward to getting a 3G (or an LTE version if they come out with one later) model. Both of my iPads are WiFi only at the moment (I own an iPhone 4 as well so didn't see the point in spending more money for the 3G model iPad at the time).I would love to buy a Macbook or a destop but they are so expensive. Just can't justify the cost. Would rather spend $500-600 for a powerfull windows PC tower and go with that.
    Last edited by scottw03; 10-19-2011 at 08:58 AM.

Wtf do you guys do? Facebook?
    More powerful ?? LMAO!

Quote Originally Posted by duromega View Post
    Wtf do you guys do? Facebook?
    More powerful ?? LMAO!
    the idea that a tablet could someday (soon) be more powerful than a desktop?
    SHOCKING!

my eniac kicks all your butts