According to a reference spotted of an unreleased “Apple3,1” in the latest version of iOS 5, rumors are beginning to float of a possible update coming to the Apple TV product line. The folks over at 9to5Mac discovered the reference “deep inside the iOS 5 file system” and the last time we saw an upgrade like this one, the Apple TV saw a major revamp.

Since the latest update for the Apple TV included a fully redesigned case, it is being speculated that the next update would consist of internal upgrades. A new Apple TV could include the integration of the A5 processor found in the iPad 2 and the upcoming iPhone 4S, which would end up offering much faster graphics processing and potentially include 1080p content. As of right now, Apple doesn’t offer 1080p content on iTunes but it has been rumored that Apple has been working with several movie studios and convincing them to start submitting 1080p content on iTunes.

This information should be taken with a grain of salt though as not all references found in iOS file systems come to fruition. Examples of this would include the previous references to an iPhone 3,2 and an iPod Touch 4,2; both of which never seemed to surface.

Furthermore, speculation of an update for the Apple TV seems to go against the possibility of Apple moving into the television market for a new future product, which is being speculated post Jobs’ death by the NY Times. According to the NY Times, the television is the next product in the tech industry that is in need of a makeover and is probably the area where Apple’s next challenge lies.

Now I personally don't think Apple will be venturing into the market of televisions anytime soon as it seems something way out of Apple's interest but I could be wrong. I do agree that the TV is probably one of the products that could definitely use a makeover as the product seems to serve very few functions. Many of today's smart TVs lack ease of use and support, Apple could definitely bring quite a few appealing features into the mix. It just doesn't seem likely, at least not in the near future.

What do you think of the possibility of a new iteration of the Apple TV? What about the thought of Apple entering the TV market? Do you think Apple would even venture into the market of creating TVs? Share your thoughts and comments below!

Source: 9to5Mac, NY Times