Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Possible Next-Gen Apple TV Reference Found In iOS 5

Thanks

Default Possible Next-Gen Apple TV Reference Found In iOS 5

According to a reference spotted of an unreleased “Apple3,1” in the latest version of iOS 5, rumors are beginning to float of a possible update coming to the Apple TV product line. The folks over at 9to5Mac discovered the reference “deep inside the iOS 5 file system” and the last time we saw an upgrade like this one, the Apple TV saw a major revamp.

Since the latest update for the Apple TV included a fully redesigned case, it is being speculated that the next update would consist of internal upgrades. A new Apple TV could include the integration of the A5 processor found in the iPad 2 and the upcoming iPhone 4S, which would end up offering much faster graphics processing and potentially include 1080p content. As of right now, Apple doesn’t offer 1080p content on iTunes but it has been rumored that Apple has been working with several movie studios and convincing them to start submitting 1080p content on iTunes.

This information should be taken with a grain of salt though as not all references found in iOS file systems come to fruition. Examples of this would include the previous references to an iPhone 3,2 and an iPod Touch 4,2; both of which never seemed to surface.

Furthermore, speculation of an update for the Apple TV seems to go against the possibility of Apple moving into the television market for a new future product, which is being speculated post Jobs’ death by the NY Times. According to the NY Times, the television is the next product in the tech industry that is in need of a makeover and is probably the area where Apple’s next challenge lies.

Now I personally don't think Apple will be venturing into the market of televisions anytime soon as it seems something way out of Apple's interest but I could be wrong. I do agree that the TV is probably one of the products that could definitely use a makeover as the product seems to serve very few functions. Many of today's smart TVs lack ease of use and support, Apple could definitely bring quite a few appealing features into the mix. It just doesn't seem likely, at least not in the near future.

What do you think of the possibility of a new iteration of the Apple TV? What about the thought of Apple entering the TV market? Do you think Apple would even venture into the market of creating TVs? Share your thoughts and comments below!

Source: 9to5Mac, NY Times

iPhone? More like MyPhone Lombardo Joe's Avatar
    Thanks

I've never even seen an AppleTV. I feel so out of the loop.

Thanks

^+1 hahaha but I think I'm going to get one soon

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lombardo Joe View Post
    I've never even seen an AppleTV. I feel so out of the loop.
    Dude its rocks! I use it everyday streaming movies from your itunes to your tv. I have over 100 movies and never have to use discs, and plus having music set up to your theater system for parties are fun too. Most of all the new ios 5 will let you stream all apps from your iphone and ipad wireless to your tv.

I don't care if they do update it or not I will be getting one anyways just because I bought an iPad and they seem like they go hand and hand at home.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Lombardo Joe's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brianiino View Post
    Dude its rocks! I use it everyday streaming movies from your itunes to your tv. I have over 100 movies and never have to use discs, and plus having music set up to your theater system for parties are fun too. Most of all the new ios 5 will let you stream all apps from your iphone and ipad wireless to your tv.
    I'm going to have to resort to prostitution just to pick up a 4S, let alone an AppleTV. One day... One day I'll be able to afford to furnish my home with nothing but Apple products.

Also, I do not condone prostitution. Stay in school, kids! You're worth so much more than that!

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

I have two ATV2's. They are great for connecting to your computer media, watching Netflicks, Plex, Youtube, surfing the web, etc. Mine are jailbroken of course. If you have an all Apple household as we do they fit right in. Well worth $99 in my opinion.

Same here I never seen an apple tv 

Thanks

I've had both Atv models and love 'em. I wish the Atv2 had at least 32GB of space to store content. As it stands now, once the Atv2 is jailbroken, PLEX is a must. So hopefully the Atv3 will add flash memory for content or at least a standard USB port that'll allow you to use a thumbdrive with movies on it.

Apple TV does not appeal to me in the least due to lack of features. Apple could easily make the Apple TV great and dive into the living room gaming market.

Sure it has AirPlay for games but that's not enough. If they are using the same A5 processor then why not allow the same Apps (and games) to be installed directly to the Apple TV? All they would need is a wireless touch screen remote.

Imagine Infinity Blade 2 on your TV with no other iDevice required!

Quote Originally Posted by dknowle View Post
    Apple TV does not appeal to me in the least due to lack of features. Apple could easily make the Apple TV great and dive into the living room gaming market.

Sure it has AirPlay for games but that's not enough. If they are using the same A5 processor then why not allow the same Apps (and games) to be installed directly to the Apple TV? All they would need is a wireless touch screen remote.

Imagine Infinity Blade 2 on your TV with no other iDevice required!
    Airplay can be used for so much more like streaming Youtube, photos and with ios 5 the possibilities are endless. Jailbreaking the device puts the atv2 on top of the set top box list. I have both atv models and have finally cut the "cable" out of our families life. Do away with those outrageous bill and go with atv. Forgot to mention the implementation of XBMC (on jailbroken atv2) is hard to compete with.

I realize AirPlay can be used for more than games, but I still say eh on Apple TV.

My point is that Apple should should bring IOS gaming to the living room with the Apple TV ( without AirPlay). As soon as they do that I'm interested.