+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Board of Directors Struggles with Steve Jobs Replacement

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
In addition to mourning the loss of a close friend, mentor, and colleague, the Apple Board of Directors is said to be grappling with the unenviable task of replacing the
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Apple Board of Directors Struggles with Steve Jobs Replacement

In addition to mourning the loss of a close friend, mentor, and colleague, the Apple Board of Directors is said to be grappling with the unenviable task of replacing the late Apple co-founder with a new chairman of the board.

According to an insightful report this morning from Reuters, the burning question incumbent upon the board is whether the company wants to continue with business as usual or drastically change the status quo. Consequently, the first and most pressing decision to be made is whether to select an independent chairman or expand the number of directors on the board.

Apple directors include heavy hitters, but they were seen offering advice to the chief executive rather than overseeing Jobs, who was known for persuading people to see things his way.
    "The old message was "trust Steve," the new message has to be 'trust the team.' ... It's no longer the cult of personality," Jim Post, a professor of corporate governance at Boston University School of Management, tells Reuters. Post is of the mindset that an independent chairman would be best for Apple at this time of transition. "The board needs to be expanded. They need to bring on additional independent talent ..., people who were not living in Steve's shadow," he said.

Many are already comparing the loss of Steve Jobs to the loss of Walt Disney in a bygone era. "Much like Disney, Apple's founder was the brand. He was their Mickey Mouse, he was their Betty Crocker," said corporate governance expert Nell Minow. "They have to replace him in five different ways."

Source: Reuters

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I say continue with business as usual and do things the way Steve would have wanted them done.

DON'T FIX IT IF IT ISN'T BROKEN!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

If the old message was "trust Steve." the new message should be "WWSJD" What would Steve Jobs do.... while I do agree they will need to get some new talent in, if they take things in a radically different direction I don't see it ending well for Apple.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I think it would be best to move to a "trust Tim" philosophy. Steve Jobs trusted Tim Cook to be acting CEO while he took medical leave and also pretty much appointed Tim Cook as his replacement. Steve Jobs must have trusted him good enough to run his company so the board should trust him too.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Heeey Apple, pick me pick me!!!! I'm from Mexico and I'm a huge fan and I know how to run things in my shoe store, so I guess is the same thing, right??? Please call me at 555 123 4567. Thanks!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Bring back WOZ there should be a campaign to bring him back Steve would have loved it and apple fanboys love THE WOZ

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,607 Times in 667 Posts

Well considering that Tim Cook has been there at Apple since Steve Jobs came back also and they both have been there thru everything since iPods and all the other devices. I think Tim knows what to do with the company and how to run it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

^^ I don't think they are talking of removing Cook, as he is CEO, they are talking about a chairman of the board of directors, different position.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I hope Apple doesn't sink while the Board of Directors are busy rocking the boat!

Green Apple
    Thanks

I love how people are saying what they should "do"... Your on a forum not apple chairman candidates.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Currently the Chairman Ad Intermim is Arthur D. Levinson

Livin the iPhone Life JedixJarf's Avatar
    Thanks

As long as it's NOT Al Gore I'm happy.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JedixJarf View Post
    What are you talking about?! Al gore is the man!!!! Hey everyone Steve is gone I know it sucks but.. WE STILL GOT THE GREATEST MAN ALIVE.. BILL GATES BABY!!!!

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Wwsjd?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iphoneadam View Post
    I love how people are saying what they should "do"... Your on a forum not apple chairman candidates.
    What the hell else would people be talking about in the replies? People are just stating what they think would be best for Apple.

I too think the trust Tim Cook idea is what they should go with.
    iEat. iSleep. iPhone.

Thanks

Bring back Woz!
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JedixJarf View Post
    Why not Al? Didn't he invent the internet? And isn't apple pushing everything to the cloud? Appears to be a match made in heaven. Just kidding of course.