+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Rdio Launches Free On-Demand Music Streaming Service to Rival Spotify

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer
    Thanks

Default Rdio Launches Free On-Demand Music Streaming Service to Rival Spotify

Rdio today announced that they are now offering free, on-demand streaming music without commercials. Rdio hopes that by offering users free access to the site, they will be able to stay competitive with rivals such as Spotify and MOG. Currently, both Spotify and MOG offer users free access to their extensive music catalogs.

"We’re proud to be the only service in the US to offer everyone the opportunity to listen to millions of songs for free, without the distraction of a single ad,” said Drew Larner, CEO of Rdio. “With free access to Rdio, now everyone has the freedom to discover what our fans already know – we're the best service for listening to and discovering music.”

Currently, the free service is limited to web and desktop access, so you’ll have to subscribe to a paid plan if you want to listen to Rdio on an iPhone. Subscription prices range from $4.99 a month to $17.99 a month for a family plan. Free accounts also include a 7-day free trial to the Rdio mobile app.

According to Rdio’s press release, “Free access users will see a customized meter at the top of their profile page indicating how much free music they have each month.”

It’s currently unclear exactly how many hours of free music a month users can expect to enjoy. Shortly after Spotify launched in the US, the company stated that free accounts would be unlimited for the first six months. A monthly time limit is set to go into effect after the initial six-month period is over, however.

It’s likely that Rdio sees Spotify as their main rival at the moment. Spotify has been a media darling in the US since they launched back in July. Spotify has gained a large number of paid subscribers in a relatively short amount of time and they recently partnered with Facebook to promote the service as well.

Rdio currently has a catalog of roughly 12 million songs compared to Spotify’s 15 million and MOG’s 11 million tracks.

Free access to Rdio includes:
    • Stream full songs on-demand
    • See and hear what your friends and other influencers are listening to in real-time Share on Twitter and Facebook
    • Create custom and collaborative playlists
    • Build a personalized profile and digital music collection
    • Get music recommendations based on your tastes
    • Listen to artist and label radio stations
    If you’ve been looking for a free streaming music service and Spotify’s not to your liking, then you might want to check out Rdio. After all, more free music is always better.

Source: Bloomberg

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks

Sorry I will stay with Pandora... and can get my music based on my taste with them as well... pay once a year and thats it. I can not see paying each month for such a thing like this when there are so many other options today.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'm with tooth.

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm getting really sick of stuff being free on your desktop, but costing money to get the same exact content on your iPhone. We already pay more to have our computers in our pocket as opposed to at home (Internet service, devices), now content companies want us to pay even more!
    El Zurdo

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Spotify is too good, will take a lot to get me to convert.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Screw those services. I just use my iPod library.

Thanks

I'm particularly fond of Rdio myself--they're the only ones with a Universal app and their development staff is muy awesome (gave me a free month for sending a crap-ton of crash reports and early access to their API).

It's so interesting to see how Spotify has disrupted the US streaming market. Before, there was no free on-demand streaming (aside from Grooveshark, on shaky legal ground)... now, MOG, Rdio, Spotty... Pandora axed their monthly listening limits... it's fun to watch.

iPhone? More like MyPhone cockyjeremy's Avatar
    Thanks

I doubt this will move me from Spotify, but then again i said the same thing about moving from Grooveshark to Spotify. We'll see.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thetoothfairy View Post
    Sorry I will stay with Pandora... and can get my music based on my taste with them as well... pay once a year and thats it. I can not see paying each month for such a thing like this when there are so many other options today.
    Have you checked rdio out? It is very different from Pandora. Rdio allows you to listen to ANY song ANY time. Pandora allows you to listen to stations with randomized content.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

iPhone? More like MyPhone <(O)> Device's Avatar
    Thanks
    Sticking with Pandora thanks

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Pandora bugs me these days..more and more ads. Its perfect to discover new artists but not really to listen to anything specific.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iLoveWindows&iPhone View Post
    I'm getting really sick of stuff being free on your desktop, but costing money to get the same exact content on your iPhone. We already pay more to have our computers in our pocket as opposed to at home (Internet service, devices), now content companies want us to pay even more!
    They've gotta make money somehow. I think it's a pretty smart business model. Get your foot in the door by offering free desktop service, but make your profit for paid mobile service.