+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Shares of Apple, Sprint Tank Following iPhone 4S Announcement

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
What does it take to make tech stock traders happy? Apparently nothing that Apple said today. Following the introduction of the iPhone 4S, shares of Apple slid precipitously, touching levels
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Shares of Apple, Sprint Tank Following iPhone 4S Announcement

What does it take to make tech stock traders happy? Apparently nothing that Apple said today.

Following the introduction of the iPhone 4S, shares of Apple slid precipitously, touching levels not seen since Steve Jobs resigned as company chief August 24th. At one point, shares of Apple were down 5% today, well below $360 per share. Although the stock price has since recovered some lost ground, it's clearly not a banner day for AAPL.

According to CNBC, investors and Apple fans were looking "to be blown away by some amazing new surprise." When they weren't, shares swiftly tanked. "It's been 16 months and all you've got is an A5 processor in the existing iPhone 4," Wall Street analyst Colin Gillis of BGC Partners tells CNBC.

Of course, Apple wasn't alone in its stock price free-fall. Sprint went along for the ride before similarly recovering the worst of its losses.

Sprint initially saw a 10% dive in its stock on Monday, after a Wall Street Journal report indicated that the carrier was poised to lose money on its iPhone deal until at least 2014. "This is a huge gamble for Sprint and people are justifiably worried that they won't be able to make any money doing it," Stifel Nicolaus analyst Chris King says. "It's not a company that's in great financial shape right now."

Source: CNBC

Thanks

I think this is a cleae sign
    RELEASE THE IPHONE 5

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    yeaa little too late there buddy

iPhone? More like MyPhone MOJO5873's Avatar
    Thanks

Take note from Netflix, don't disappoint your customers.

Thanks

Not surprised.

Thanks
    Totally disappointed , I believe this is the time for apple to go down and the other go's up

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    This was an epic disappointment. I guess I can at least upgrade to an affordable i4. Or maybe I'll just get tue galaxy S II instead? Get with the times Apple. You're getting left behind. SMH

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Apple tanked because people freaked out. Smart investors see that Apple is a solid company all around and moving strong. Their phones are more in businesses and being rolled out, Mac sales are rising, iPod sales are still massive, and the iPhone will still be successful for the general public until the iPhone5 next year. The stock is almost back to where it opened and it will continue to go up when people see the rush for the iPhone 4S

Green Apple
    Thanks

Can someone please define specific criteria for "ground breaking?" I hear a lot of people being no disappointed but no rationale for it, or rationale based on oversimplifications that are borderline fiction. "An iPhone 4 with an A5 processor inside?" Did that wall street guy hear the presentation at all?

The only two things I can think of are 4G capability and a larger screen, but even those don't sound very appealing to me. If you're going to complain, at least be specific in your complaints. Otherwise it's just noise.

My iPhone is a Part of Me RandyTG's Avatar
    Thanks

If people didn't have sky high expectations about what they want to see on the next iPhone, they wouldn't need to have a knee jerk reaction when their expectations are not met. Welcome to life.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

It's a side effect of the iPhone 4's (plural for 4 not 4S) success. The iPhone 4 was and still is such a quality product it's hard to top it. Today would have been a lot more impressive if it was also the first time we say iOS 5.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    No wonder Steve Jobs retired. Walk away while your still ahead...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

If I recall right. People acted this way too when the iPhone 3gs came out. "What! It's just an updated 3g! I'm not buying one!" And the lines were long on the release date for the 3gs.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Mysterion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Timstanley is late lol
    iPhone 4 Verizon

Untethered jailbroken w/ Sn0wbreeze

Thanks
    Thanked 1,085 Times in 437 Posts

Lol too funny

iPhone? More like MyPhone sammo123's Avatar
    Thanks

AAPL stock is back on the rise. .1% rise since the close of the market
    Last edited by sammo123; 10-04-2011 at 04:23 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

This has nothing to do with the 4S at all.

Apple shares have fallen after every major release, not just the iPhone. After the iPhone 3G it plummeted 4.1%, after the 3GS it was down 4.6%. The iPhone 4 only saw a 1% loss, and the iPad 2 a 1.4% loss.

Though the iPhone 4 and iPad 2 had a smaller loss, it was still a loss nonetheless.
    It's only impossible if you quit.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trimetfan View Post
    If I recall right. People acted this way too when the iPhone 3gs came out. "What! It's just an updated 3g! I'm not buying one!" And the lines were long on the release date for the 3gs.
    This is true but the iPhone 3GS came out less than a year after the 3G. The other big difference is that the iPhone competitors are releasing phones at a increasing pace so it's not really the same atmosphere. I was very disappointed personally, specifically since we have waited almost a year and a half. What does that mean for the iPhone 5? Are we waiting another year and a half cause that's too slow a pace for the current environment especially when every other year is only an internal update. It just doesn't cut it to release a new iPhone every 3 years in the current environment. Then to top it all off, this was Tim Cook's first "big" announcement as CEO and it doesn't generate excitement when he releases 4 months later than usual with standard internal updates. What took so long to release the 4S?
    Last edited by kraziebone; 10-04-2011 at 04:26 PM.

MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

The stock market is a joke. The people who trade are a joke. Everything is based on speculation, hype, and people looking to short sell for a profit. If today's dip were really indicative of Apple's failure as a company you would have seen a RIM style loss in market cap, or Bank of America like death-slide. Apple on the other hand is as safe a bet as there is in the Tech market. They consistently beat sales estimates, sit on a ginormous cash horde, and are industry leaders in at least three different industries (cell phones, tablets, MP3 players, Ultra-portable laptops). Apple will recover from today's little setback and likely shatter sales records once again. In case everyone forgot, no one on Sprint has an iPhone yet. Soon everyone will.

iPhone? More like MyPhone sammo123's Avatar
    Thanks

And they have basically already recovered so not a big deal at all
    RIP Steve Jobs.. You changed the world