Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Growl 1.3 Released On the Mac App Store

Default Growl 1.3 Released On the Mac App Store

Growl's website has warned us of its arrival.

Growl, a notification system for Mac OS, has been updated to version 1.3. It is a paid version available in the Mac App Store with several new features when compared to previous versions. Growl offers popup notifications that are customizable for specific programs so that you're visually notified when someone sends you an instant message, when your iTunes music changes a song and other miscellaneous notifications from your other programs. This new version of growl offers a myriad of new preferences and supports more applications than version 1.2.2. Growl is an open source program that had to be rewritten for the rules of the Mac App Store. It currently costs $1.99 and it's going to knock your socks off.

Growl's new preferences window which offers numerous new features.

Taking a look at the new settings window, it's obvious that there are a ton of new things to toy with. One of the really cool features is the ability to add a skin to your notifications. In the older versions of Growl, you used to have to use the generic, somewhat see-through black pop up notifications. Now, you can have all kinds of looks, as shown below:

From the looks of things, you can have a different skin selected for each application. Growl comes with 20 pre-installed themes and if that's not enough, you can also create and install your own themes with basic CSS/XHTML/Javascript language. How's that for a touch of personalization?

Another cool new feature of the new Growl is the roll-up notifications. There is a button that allows you to hide certain notifications similar to the Jailbreak App LockInfo. It's similar because in the LockInfo app if you tap on a category, that that category will collapse. Growl has this feature now too and it makes readability of your notifications a breeze.

Growl also has a new menu bar icon which comes with more general settings. One of them being to pause and resume notifications. This means that if you're one of those people who hated growl in the past, you might actually like it now because you have the choice to turn it on and off at your leisure with an easy setting.

There is a procedure you need to follow to install the new Growl. It is not recommended that you install the new Growl over the old one. First you should run the Growl 1.2.2 Uninstaller. It's a simple script and will not take more than a couple of seconds. Once it says Growl has been removed, you can download Growl 1.3 from the App Store and install it.

Are you going to, or have you tried the new Growl? Tell us what you think below!

Sources: Growl, Mac App Store, Macstories
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 10-03-2011 at 06:24 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ChSchuldiner's Avatar
    Thanks

The new Growl looks pretty cool. I am debating buying it or not simply because I'm cheap, but I definitely want to try it!

I love how free apps before the AppStore existed get in to the Appstore then suddenly they get a price tag, I'm not saying the devs don't deserve the cash for the hard work they do, I just think the AppsStore's (iPhone, Mac and even in Cydia) causes the $$kkkerccchingggg££ signs in their minds
    Last edited by dsg; 10-03-2011 at 09:23 PM.