+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Safari's Desktop Browser Share Hits 5% for the First Time

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Safari is Apple's renowned native desktop and mobile browser. Safari comes pre-installed on all Macs and iDevices right out of the box. For the month of September, NetMarketShare reports that
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Safari's Desktop Browser Share Hits 5% for the First Time

Safari is Apple's renowned native desktop and mobile browser. Safari comes pre-installed on all Macs and iDevices right out of the box.

For the month of September, NetMarketShare reports that Safari has reached 5% browser share on all of the world's desktop and laptop computers for the first time in history. Microsoft's Internet Explorer still comes in first at 54%, Mozilla Firefox at 22%, Google Chrome at 16%, and Opera at almost 2%. The pie graph can be seen below:

It could be that some users are enjoying the new features that Safari has gained in Mac OS X Lion; full screen browsing, reader mode, multitouch controls, and a zippier load speed. Although full-screen-enabled apps in Mac OS X Lion is only feature-friendly with a small number of Mac Apps, chpwn saw this weakness as a way to improve on Mac OS by creating a small hack that allows all Cocoa-based apps to run in full screen called Maximizer. It requires SIMBL, but it can enable full screen on Firefox, Opera, and Chrome in the same native way that it works with Safari.

When it comes to mobile browsing, Apple's Safari is the king of the hill racking in at almost 56%. Mobile browsing of course being iPod Touch, iPhone, iPad. With the amazing sales numbers Apple has been seeing in iDevices, this should be no surprise to anyone but, jaw-dropping nonetheless.

On a side-note: Macintosh market share is now almost 14% in the US, 6.5% worldwide. iOS is almost 55% worldwide.

What browser do you use? What operating system? Share in the comments below!

Sources: Apple, chpwn, NetMarketShare

Green Apple
    Thanks

Windows xp machine: ie7 (work related restrictions)
    Mac laptop: chrome
    iPhone: safari
    iPad: skyfire for iPad

Untill the work area can convert to Mac, IE will live...

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

IE7 is actually decent nowadays. What I cannot understand is how it held on for so long. The past handful of releases were utter crap. I don't have anything against Safari, except that it isn't chrome or firefox!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 884 Posts

I'm quite looking forward to that new silk. Using cloud seems a great idea. It talks alot of talk that's for sure. I doubt they will ever offer it for desktops though and I doubt I'll get that fire or whatever.

Thanks

Windows 7, xp sp3, chrome, firefox

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

I am using Safari almost exclusively since Lion uses gestures and the others don't yet. I do use Firefox for some task such as moderating since I can install add-ons to check links. I sure wish Safari would allow the use of custom add-ons like FF.

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

I use Mac OS X and use Chrome.For iPhone I use Safari.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

10.1" netbook that uses Windows 7: Chrome
    Mac Mini: Firefox
    iPhone: Safari

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytj View Post
    I am using Safari almost exclusively since Lion uses gestures and the others don't yet. I do use Firefox for some task such as moderating since I can install add-ons to check links. I sure wish Safari would allow the use of custom add-ons like FF.
    Chrome allows gestures now at least.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Using Iron on my Mac[SnowLeo] (It's Chrome without the spying stuff..)
    Opera on myPhone

iPhone? More like MyPhone ChSchuldiner's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mortopher View Post
    Chrome allows gestures now at least.
    Chrome's gestures don't have Apple's 'bounce' to it. The tactile response has a lot to be desired in comparison to that of Safari.

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

I dont understand why people use internet explorer. ITS SO SLOW! Especially IE9 its killing me! I think Chrome is the best, its far more lightweight than Firefox or IE.

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

iPhone? More like MyPhone ChSchuldiner's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ipodtouchman77 View Post
    I dont understand why people use internet explorer. ITS SO SLOW! Especially IE9 its killing me! I think Chrome is the best, its far more lightweight than Firefox or IE.
    I prefer firefox because it has more to offer add-on-wise. The recent release (7) is less memory intensive, but it doesn't matter anyway because I upgraded to 16GB of ram in my iMac last week. To me, Chrome is annoying. I would pick safari over chrome.

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ChSchuldiner View Post
    I prefer firefox because it has more to offer add-on-wise. The recent release (7) is less memory intensive, but it doesn't matter anyway because I upgraded to 16GB of ram in my iMac last week. To me, Chrome is annoying. I would pick safari over chrome.
    Chrome is growing fast with addons...especially games and addons like adblock plus is killer-it kills all YouTube ads

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

never used ie for years... on win 7 i use chrome n firefox. mac os x use safari n firefox. ubuntu use safari n firefox. iphone mobile safari n opera
    Last edited by wii1i; 10-01-2011 at 08:39 PM.

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Personally I like to use Safari on Mac OS and Firefox on Windows.

iPhone? More like MyPhone thekirbylover's Avatar
    Thanks

I use Chrome stable on my XP laptop, and the Canary version on my Server 2008. I also use Chrome Portable on my 7 PC. IE9 seems to finally be a decent browser to me, so when I don't have my external hard drive with me, I use that. Also a Safari user on iOS, but only because of its JavaScript console and it doesn't try to Google "localhost" when I type it in the address bar :P

Thanks

Internet Explorer is the best browser to download another browser to make your default.