+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Continues To Secure Worldwide Cloud-Music Rights For October 4th Event

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Apple seems to be far along in negotiations to obtain international cloud-music licenses from record companies and publishers. A new report claims that Apple may be able to secure the
    Thanks

Default Apple Continues To Secure Worldwide Cloud-Music Rights For October 4th Event

Apple seems to be far along in negotiations to obtain international cloud-music licenses from record companies and publishers. A new report claims that Apple may be able to secure the deal in time to announce it at the company’s iPhone event on October 4th.

Greg Sandoval from CNET is claiming that Apple is looking to obtain similar licenses to the ones it has obtained for iCloud, which is the company’s upcoming cloud services initiative, in the U.S. Although nothing has been decided as of yet, Apple is said to be very close to reaching deals.

Greg noted that Apple would announce an international option for next Tuesday’s press event if iTunes managers are able to “wrap up negotiations in time.” The Cupertino giant has invited members of the press to a “Let’s Talk iPhone” event schedule for 10:00 AM PDT on October 4th.

As of right now, it is expected that the iPhone 5, the iPhone 4S, the iPod Touch 5G are to be announced and there are to be highlights for the release of iCloud and iOS 5. Evidence suggests that the iPhone 5 will be launching shortly after the Apple event, more specifically October 14th.

iCloud is Apple’s effort to simplify content and information management across their products by storing data online, known as “storing in the cloud.” The service includes restructured versions of former MobileMe services such Contacts, Calendar and Mail, access to the App Store and the iBookstore purchases, and automatic backups of iOS devices.

The majority of Apple’s negotiations with international music rights holders is likely related to the company’s forthcoming iTunes Match service, which many have seemed to have forgotten about in the excitement of all the other news being tossed around. For $24.99 per year, users will be able to use the service to have their iTunes libraries scanned and matched up to the iTunes Music Store offerings. Matched songs will then be automatically available in iCloud. The current iTunes Match beta is only available in the United States.

Although Apple was rumored to have negotiated cloud-based streaming music rights for iCloud, the feature wasn’t announced at the company’s June unveiling of the service. As of right now, the beta version of iTunes Match initially appeared to support instantaneous playback from iCloud, but Apple quickly clarified that users still need to “keep stuff on their machine in order to play it,” eventually removing the feature. Apple went ahead and reset the iTunes Match libraries in preparation for the iOS 5 release, which makes it seem as if the company will be releasing it very soon.

Apple is heavily betting on iCloud being the driving force behind the “PC-fee” features in iOS 5 that will allow the iPhone and iPad users to sync their devices without the aid of a Mac or a PC. The company even went as far as admitting that the previous MobileMe service was not its “finest hour” back in June. Former CEO, Steve Jobs was outraged at the MobileMe team in 2008 for screwing up the product’s launch. Furthermore, MobileMe experienced widespread outages on Thursday, causing speculation that Apple Is preparing for an imminent transition to iCloud and some users are even reporting receiving "Welcome to iCloud" emails already.

Are you excited for iCloud and the iTunes Match service? Let us know in the comments below!

Source: CNET
    Last edited by Akshay Masand; 09-30-2011 at 11:20 PM.

Thanks

I'm a little excited, however, will we own the music or rent it? Is apple going to have DRM in all the music you download with iTunes match? That would seem to be a step backwards...
    iCloud sounds great, I have paid for a .mac, and later a MobileMe subscription since 2006, so I'm excited that the fees will be dropped drastically. What will new emails made with this service be? @mac, @me, @icloud, or @cloud?
    Last edited by Donnutt; 09-30-2011 at 10:45 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life R.Mortera's Avatar
    Thanks

That's a pretty Dope picture up there (1st pic)

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

Great article.....but you really might want to proof read your articles at least once before you post them.....Just saying!
    El Zurdo

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Donnutt View Post
    I'm a little excited, however, will we own the music or rent it? Is apple going to have DRM in all the music you download with iTunes match? That would seem to be a step backwards...
    iCloud sounds great, I have paid for a .mac, and later a MobileMe subscription since 2006, so I'm excited that the fees will be dropped drastically. What will new emails made with this service be? @mac, @me, @icloud, or @cloud?
    I don't think there will be a DRM on the music with iTunes Match. The service is actually one that provides users the option to detect and properly fill in the description and additional info for existing songs in your song library. It would be a bit cheesy for Apple to just identify a song you already own then smack a DRM on it along with filling in additional info for the file. As far as the iCloud service, there hasn't been much info on what type of emails will be made but I am sure it will be touched upon when publicly presented so stay tuned!

Quote Originally Posted by R.Mortera View Post
    That's a pretty Dope picture up there (1st pic)
    It's actually the official pic for the iTunes Match service!

Quote Originally Posted by iLoveWindows&iPhone View Post
    Great article.....but you really might want to proof read your articles at least once before you post them.....Just saying!
    Thanks for the compliment and the advice. The issues are fixed in this article and will be in all articles going forward!
    Last edited by Akshay Masand; 09-30-2011 at 11:45 PM.

Thanks

Because some people are asking about DRM and stuff:
    1) iTunes Match is DRM free
    2) If you have iTunes music that has DRM (bough from iTunes before they removed the DRM) then iTunes match will remove the DRM
    3) You get to keep the music if you cancel iTunes Match

This is all taken from things Apple have said and announced and backed up by what the people in the iTunes Match beta have said.
    Last edited by spazturtle; 10-01-2011 at 06:56 AM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me mustard05's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iLoveWindows&iPhone View Post
    Overall this was a great article. It was written very well. I actually got the feeling that I was reading a "real" article, grammatical mistakes or not. It's a nice refresh compared to the continuous reposted rubbish that is normally found on the front page. No pun intended towards the other writers

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

I'll wait to pass judgement until this actually launches. My (potential) issue is that I do not use iTunes for purchases. I have heard there will be a 5GB "anything" limit where we can upload our own songs that are not found on iTunes. I am not about to repurchase music I already have just to get it all onto the cloud. I suppose this will ultimately be the deciding factor as to what sort of storage space I will require on my next phone.