+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Amazon in Talks to Purchase webOS From HP

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
On the heels of Amazon's big reveal of its new Kindle Fire tablet, reports have now surfaced that the online retail king is actively engaged in talks to potentially acquire
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Amazon in Talks to Purchase webOS From HP

On the heels of Amazon's big reveal of its new Kindle Fire tablet, reports have now surfaced that the online retail king is actively engaged in talks to potentially acquire Hewlett-Packard's webOS mobile operating system, a carry-over from HP's $1.2 billion acquisition of Palm last year.

According to sources at HP speaking with VentureBeat, HP is looking to divest - perhaps "dump" is a better word - webOS as quickly as humanly possible. In recent weeks, we've heard plenty of speculation as to whom may prove the best suitor for webOS, but all signs now point to Amazon being the most likely to sign the deal and take from HP what it can't seem to give away fast enough.

Clues about Amazon's potential interest in webOS have lingered for months.

Former Palm CEO Jon Rubinstein - who is, incidentally, on the Amazon board of directors - indicated last July in an interview with This Is My Next that HP and Amazon may be wise to work out a deal together. "We'd like a partner that would allow us to expand the webOS ecosystem," Rubinstein said. "There's a variety of different sets of a characteristics to qualify as a good partner. I would say Amazon would certainly make a great partner because they have a lot of characteristics that would help them expand the webOS ecosystem. As to whether there's been discussions or not... that's obviously not something I'm going to comment about."

For now, neither HP or Amazon will comment on the rumor, which may become a reality before the end of this year.

Source: VentureBeat

Thanks
    Thanked 14,805 Times in 6,884 Posts

That could be interesting. Would be a shame for webOS to just disappear for good.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I'd like to play with WebOS, only if I can get my hands on one of those cheap HP tablets

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Amazon!!! You did something good with Kindle Fire, don't do something stupid like buy WebOS

Thanks

This would be really good IMO from what I've seen of the webOS it looked very promising,take the best from webOS add the amazon-andriod OS which from the videos ive seen looks smooth combine them both it could be a real contender to the IOS.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    Amazon!!! You did something good with Kindle Fire, don't do something stupid like buy WebOS

clueless post,

i have been using ios for quite sometime now. And love it.

I recently got a hold of a hp touch pad. Out of the box it was kind of clunky/slow but after installing preware / removing all the logging bs / and ocing it to 1.5 ghz (the manufacture clock speed) the thing screams.

Web os is very very slick. Its a real shame if no one picks it up. Would be nice to see a big company like amazon do it.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aimetti View Post
    clueless post,
    i have been using ios for quite sometime now. And love it.
    I recently got a hold of a hp touch pad. Out of the box it was kind of clunky/slow but after installing preware / removing all the logging bs / and ocing it to 1.5 ghz (the manufacture clock speed) the thing screams.
    Web os is very very slick. Its a real shame if no one picks it up. Would be nice to see a big company like amazon do it.
    Not really a clueless post. Android already has a well established App Store that is only getting bigger and better. Android is also under the power of Googles developers to make it better. WebOS does not have an established App Store or a proven or consistent development team behind it.

You also clearly stated that WebOS is kinda crap out of the box unless you install stuff, uninstall other stuff and over clock the device it runs on. Doesn't sound like a good OS to me. I find it rather clueless that you need to do all that to get the OS to perform to a decent standard.

At this stage WebOS has gone from Palm and it's developers and project management to HP's developers and project management. Would it be a good thing to buy an OS that has already gone though two other companies and their processes? I wouldn't think so.

Amazon are great at back-end infrastructure development (and selling stuff obviously) but I don't have huge faith in their ability to create good OS's. I find even the regular Kindle's OS clunky and unintuitive.

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

webOS is dead, don't buy it and move on, the only webOS would have survived is what App support that iOS and Android has.Blackberry is starting to struggle now so there's no way a webOS device will ever survive now, even Windows phone sucks.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Mysterion's Avatar
    Thanks
    iOS ftw
    iPhone 4 Verizon

Untethered jailbroken w/ Sn0wbreeze