+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Continues to Kill Packaged Software

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Packaged software from Apple is rapidly going the way of the dinosaurs. That much has been consistently made clear throughout 2011. From Apple's release of Lion via download to its
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Apple Continues to Kill Packaged Software

Packaged software from Apple is rapidly going the way of the dinosaurs. That much has been consistently made clear throughout 2011. From Apple's release of Lion via download to its latest message to educational resellers, Apple is apparently reducing its reliance on physical packaging for software as much as possible.

On Thursday, reports surfaced that Apple has begun notifying its educational resellers that future packaged software should not be expected. According to an email (originally obtained by CNET) that was recently sent to customers at an unnamed but otherwise "major academic institution," Apple announced that - with "limited exception" - it will no longer offer boxed software.

This includes Mac OS X Snow Leopard , iLife, iWork, Apple Remote Desktop, and Aperture.

"We have a limited supply of copies of each in stock in the store, so consider this a 'last call' for anyone who would like a hard copy before they are gone. Particularly anyone who would like to get Snow Leopard, as we just received our final shipment of that version of the OS," the messages reads. "The only products that will remain as boxed software offerings are Logic Express and Logic Studio."

According to Apple watchers and industry observers, the move to nix cardboard packaging shouldn't really surprise anyone. Ten months ago when the Mac App Store was introduced, Apple indirectly foreshadowed the fate of its once-mighty packaged software inventory.

Source: CNET

Thanks
    Thanked 1,085 Times in 437 Posts

I think that it is a good idea for apple to do this

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Apple is trying to cut out the retailers so they can increase profit, I hope these retailers pay Apple back by not selling Apple products.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to unison999 For This Useful Post:

raduga (09-29-2011)

Green Apple
    Thanks

I think it's a neat idea to cut down on waste. I like Apple's minimalistic packaging ideas. However, you're leaving out people with no internet access, slow internet access, and those who just like to have a hard copy of the software in case they'd like to reinstall it sometime down the road. Will they charge you an additional $35 if you want a hard copy as well?

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

I just realized my new Mac Mini didn't even come with a USB drive loaded with Lion so how would I re-install my OS? My old MBA at least came with a USB pre-loaded with Snow Leopard.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

iPhone? More like MyPhone jiniej's Avatar
    Thanks

Genius. @Poseidon, aren't there reinstalls available from Apple servers?

Apple - OS X Lion Recovery - Introducing Lion Recovery

Not a full OS but you've got the downloadable tools, pardon me.
    Last edited by jiniej; 09-29-2011 at 02:20 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jiniej For This Useful Post:

Poseidon79 (09-29-2011)

Thanks

Oh wow... that makes life easy. Thanks for the info I've never had to re-install an OS on a Mac before but if the time comes now I know.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    I've never had to re-install an OS on a Mac before but if the time comes now I know.
    Do you not sell your old hardware? If you do, I would strongly recommend a clean install at the very least before passing on your old hardware to its new owner.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    Do you not sell your old hardware? If you do, I would strongly recommend a clean install at the very least before passing on your old hardware to its new owner.
    Eh... I don't do anything with sensitive information on my mobile devices. All misc personal files in the user directory are easily cleaned up....I'm pretty thorough. I usually recycle and buy new hardware every year so I don't ever accumulate much stuff on it anyways. Mainly just for couch surfing and a few games every now and then. All the important stuff is on my desktop PC drives which never gets sold.. just upgraded every 2 years.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Oh wow... that makes life easy. Thanks for the info I've never had to re-install an OS on a Mac before but if the time comes now I know.
    Just get a 4GB USB Stick and use Disk Utility to image it with the Lion dmg. You can boot from USB and install from that.

All software I've bought in the last few years is all digital. If I have to get something on a physical disk I'll rip it to an iso or dmg. I'm 100% for digital distribution for all media....except books

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    Apple is trying to cut out the retailers so they can increase profit, I hope these retailers pay Apple back by not selling Apple products.
    Seriously?
    No wait seriously?
    There products are going to appear in the AppStore now not o away completely
    So I'm guessing u don't own a Mac? Because who in there right mind wouldn't want products/games an things for a Mac?

iPhone? More like MyPhone jiniej's Avatar
    Thanks

on my desktop PC drives which never gets sold.. just upgraded every 2 years.
    worrrrddddddddd
    "foreign corporations > swedish law"