Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Spotify Teams with Facebook, Opens Free Accounts to All

Default Spotify Teams with Facebook, Opens Free Accounts to All

When Spotify recently launched in the US, an invitation was needed in order to get a free account. Anyone willing to pay for a subscription could join right away, without needing an invitation. Now, Spotify no longer requires an invitation to join the party, and they’ve partnered with Facebook to bring music to the social network.

New Spotify users in the US that sign up for free accounts will have unlimited access to more than 15 million tracks for the first six months. After that, time limits will go into effect. Spotify users with free accounts in Europe are limited to 10 hours of free music a month. It’s currently unclear what kind of time limits will go into effect after the initial six-month period concludes here in the US, however.

Spotify has now teamed up with Facebook to offer users an easy way to embed music into their posts. Facebook now lets you share Spotify tracks with your friends so they can hear what you’re currently listening to with the click of a button. Users can make recommendations to each other as well. Spotify’s latest tag line reads, “Spotify is the soundtrack to your social life.”

According to Spotify representative Angela Watts, “For music to be inherently social it needs to be an open model, and that’s why we decided to do it today.”

Unfortunately, once a Spotify user’s initial six months of unlimited listening is up, music that they listen to on Facebook will count toward their monthly time allotment. However, Spotify users with paid accounts will not have to deal with this limitation. Spotify paid plans range from $5 to $10 a month for unlimited commercial free music.

Lately, it seems as though Facebook won’t be happy until they’ve dipped their toes into every type of media in existence. Major movie studios now offer movie rentals through the social networking site and now that Spotify has jumped on board, could book downloads be far behind? I sure hope not. In the long run, however, this new partnership between Spotify and Facebook should be a huge success for both companies.

Source: TechCrunch

Sweet I hope it has a most popular tab like grooveshark!!!!!!

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Spotify is AMAZING! I got the premium acct the first day it was available. $10 a month for unlimited music. It's like having iTunes on demand... you can sync tracks just like you do with iTunes so you never have to worry about bad service areas... playlist creation and editing are SO much easier... you can have a playlist for new releases so you never have to "dig" for what's out. OH! And they have a "Pandora" type radio mode if you click on "Artist Radio". You can combine the music already on your HDD and integrate into your Spotify playlists and sync. 320Kps is standard also. I'm not a FB user anymore but it's definitely the best partner they could have picked.I know I sound like the Poster Child but it's been like a dream come true since I got it.

My iPhone is a Part of Me TheDirtyDiddler's Avatar
    Thanks

Love the Apple news.
    This just in: Man assaults cashier at McDonalds.

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    Spotify is AMAZING! I got the premium acct the first day it was available. $10 a month for unlimited music. It's like having iTunes on demand... you can sync tracks just like you do with iTunes so you never have to worry about bad service areas... playlist creation and editing are SO much easier... you can have a playlist for new releases so you never have to "dig" for what's out. OH! And they have a "Pandora" type radio mode if you click on "Artist Radio". You can combine the music already on your HDD and integrate into your Spotify playlists and sync. 320Kps is standard also. I'm not a FB user anymore but it's definitely the best partner they could have picked.I know I sound like the Poster Child but it's been like a dream come true since I got it.
    Took the words right out of my mouth.. +1 I also really enjoy listening to the top100 best in finland, Sweden, France and spain :P

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    Agreed. Spotify is fantastic. Aside from the Beatles, Metallica, and a handful of other artists, they have EVERYTHING. I just keep the others on my phone and use Spotify to stream to the Bluetooth audio in my car stereo. My friends love grabbing my phone in the car and having virtually unlimited music choices at their fingertips.

I have no Facebook account N never will

Wow, cool. But WTF does this story have to do with my iPhone?

Banned
    Thanks

It's all good if your in a country that has spotify. Here in Australia we dont have it and just about all digital industries want to profit so I doubt we'll have something like that here in the near future.For such an up to date country we are way behind in a lot of things. pricing is years behind. We charge way to much for just about everything. We pay sometimes 1000% extra than the US pays for the exact same item. No wonder we import so much these days.

Oh, what does my comment have to do with the iPhone? Nothing but we never had the iPhone 2G. I had to get an imported version. That shows you how far behind we are. The iPhones here started with the 3G and that still was a few months behind the US launch date.

It seems on every news post there are a few people complaing that it doesn't relate to apple. This has been going on for months, stop complaing and go somewhere else if you want more specific news. Being able to stream unlimited music to my iphone for only $10 a month is great news for a lot of iphone users.

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm confused... I have been using Spotify on my iPhone for a while now in the US for free and there was no invite involved. Is this news for non-app users?

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

I just could not bring myself to pay to listen to music especially the prices stated.... I have Pandora and that is enough for me and half of the time I don't listen to music period.

[Well Spotify lost a potential premium customer. No way I'm going to link to Facebook and allow the app any level of control. Paste to my wall? I don't think so.This whole Facebook 3rd party integration thing is getting very annoying. What's next, am I going to have to sign in to Facebook in order to access my bank account? I can see it now "Soandso withdrew $100 from his account today. Discuss."
    Last edited by santiagodraco; 09-23-2011 at 02:25 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

There is a lot of music on spotify, I have premium account so I can have it on my iPhone when offline. Normal streaming may be free but if you want to play your playlist offline or you want to play without the commercial you do need premium account (I think). Sometimes I do get annoyed when something pops up stating I can not play some music in my area (U.S.), but it does not come up often enough to get me to cancel the service.

This reminds me of when myspace had music. I miss those days except for myspace that is.