Results 1 to 7 of 7

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Epic Games Finally Releases Unreal SDK With OS X Support

  1. #1
    Default Epic Games Finally Releases Unreal SDK With OS X Support


    Epic Games has finally released an Update for their Unreal Engine SDK that supports OS X. This means Unreal 3 engine based games (there is a lot) can be played natively on OS X.

    This development has the potential to finally bring games like Gears of War and Unreal Tournament to the OS X platform. However, Epic promised to port the games to OS X four years, and multiple sequels ago. While the new SDK does support OS X, developers will still need to port their games over to OS X, which isn’t as simple as clicking a button. It’ll be interesting to see how many developers port their games over especially games that are years old, or currently deep into development.

    However, this isn’t the first Apple operating system Epic has supported. Epic ported the Unreal 3 engine to iOS devices nearly two years ago and it has been used in games like Infinity Blade, and RAGE HD. A number of other studios including LucasArts and Gameloft have pledged to support the Unreal 3 Engine on iOS devices in future releases as well.

    PC gaming and the Apple operating systems haven’t had the best of relationships over the years. Actually, they’ve barely had a relationship. Most titles come years later if ever, and the few saving graces have been Valve Studios and Blizzard releases. Hopefully the release of the new Unreal SDK and iOS’s massive (and growing) install base can help sway developers OS X’s way.

    Source: 9to5Mac
    Last edited by Phillip Swanson; 09-20-2011 at 10:54 AM.

  2. #2
    If your a serious gamer, PC is where is at. It will take years before Mac OS catches up, if it ever. I can never see Mac OS having anything like BF3 or COD3. You don't only need software, but you need good gaming hardware as well. Imagine the price of a "Gaming Mac" vs. PC? Lol.... ya, game over!

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by hogcia View Post
    If your a serious gamer, PC is where is at. It will take years before Mac OS catches up, if it ever. I can never see Mac OS having anything like BF3 or COD3. You don't only need software, but you need good gaming hardware as well. Imagine the price of a "Gaming Mac" vs. PC? Lol.... ya, game over!
    Precisely. As a kid I built my first PC gaming machine in the 6th grade with a GeForce 3 graphics card, top of the line at the time. I remained faithful till college when I moved away from PC to console gaming. Its sad though how far from the mainstream PC gaming has strayed, and not because of a lack of awesome content, but because developers put consoles first now. Sigh.

  4. #4
    Hi. Epic didn't have anything to do with RAGE HD.

    That was from id Software and used the id Tech 5 engine. Just pointing out your mistake.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Swanson View Post
    Precisely. As a kid I built my first PC gaming machine in the 6th grade with a GeForce 3 graphics card, top of the line at the time. I remained faithful till college when I moved away from PC to console gaming. Its sad though how far from the mainstream PC gaming has strayed, and not because of a lack of awesome content, but because developers put consoles first now. Sigh.
    I don't think a Mac or PC will ever replace console gaming. Consoles are cheap and have a huge library of games. BUT, the current consoles are so outdated that developers have to scale down the games. For example battlefield 3 will run 30fps less on console then on PC. I like the eye candy

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by hogcia View Post
    If your a serious gamer, PC is where is at. It will take years before Mac OS catches up, if it ever. I can never see Mac OS having anything like BF3 or COD3. You don't only need software, but you need good gaming hardware as well. Imagine the price of a "Gaming Mac" vs. PC? Lol.... ya, game over!
    Well, PC's are dieing... even microsoft knows that. Only return i see of keyboard and mouse gaming is if tablets become powerful enough to run them, then just docking your tablet into a keyboard and mouse, other than that, a controller in the formfactor of ps3 or xbox will be the primary device for gaming. Consoles are most likely going to become tiny in the future, maybe the size of a cd disc, however they will not use the disc format anymore, and it all will be abandoned for a flash memory based format, where games will mainly be downloadable. just saying, change is bound to happen, nothing stays the same forever. If you do not embrace change, you must accept defeat.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajblue7 View Post
    Well, PC's are dieing... even microsoft knows that. Only return i see of keyboard and mouse gaming is if tablets become powerful enough to run them, then just docking your tablet into a keyboard and mouse, other than that, a controller in the formfactor of ps3 or xbox will be the primary device for gaming. Consoles are most likely going to become tiny in the future, maybe the size of a cd disc, however they will not use the disc format anymore, and it all will be abandoned for a flash memory based format, where games will mainly be downloadable. just saying, change is bound to happen, nothing stays the same forever. If you do not embrace change, you must accept defeat.
    I dunno... I guess it is possible but it won't happen for a long time yet. People need cheap computers, because not all of us can afford what Mac has to offer. And I do believe if the PC does die Mac may have to work on a Gaming alternative with their computers, because believe it or not there are a LOT of people who game via PC (just check out the Alienware Arena for starters...)
    You know, whatever doesn't kill you.... hurts.

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •