+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Play Valve’s Portal for Free Until September 20

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer
    Thanks

Default Play Valve’s Portal for Free Until September 20

Valve is offering gamers the chance to play their hit game Portal, for free until September 20. Originally released back in 2007, Portal is a physics-based puzzle game that challenges players’ minds as well as reflexes. The game is being made available through Steam’s online gaming site and is compatible with both the Mac and PC.

Valve is hoping that by making Portal available for free, educators will have a chance to see that video games can be used in the classroom to teach students math and science in a fun and engaging way.

Valve states, “Today, innovative educators are finding ways to incorporate Portal™ and Portal 2 into their classrooms—helping teach physics and critical-thinking skills.”

“One of the biggest challenges in teaching science, technology, engineering, and math is capturing the students’ imaginations long enough for them to see all of the possibilities that lie ahead.”

Students use the Hammer toolset within Portal to design levels that encourage creative problem solving skills. Teachers set up physics based challenges that students must then solve by designing levels that meet the requirements of the challenge. The students learn by doing and have a great time in the process.

According to Valve, “Using interactive tools like the Portal series to draw them in makes physics, math, logic, spatial reasoning, probability, and problem-solving interesting, cool, and fun which gets us one step closer to our goal—engaged, thoughtful kids!”

By making games that challenge a student’s mind, Valve has developed an innovative teaching tool that educators can use to help make the process of learning math and science a more enjoyable process for everyone. Hopefully, other developers will follow in Valve’s footsteps and start creating games that are both fun to play, and that also teach something useful in the process.

Source: TUAW

Thanks

How is this Apple related news?
    Just because the game is compatible with iMacs doesn't mean it's relevant. Fail anyone?
    Sent from my iPhone 4.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jose060789 View Post
    Just because the game is compatible with iMacs doesn't mean it's relevant. Fail anyone?
    u mad bro?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jbrooks424 View Post

u mad bro?
    Haha mad? Are you serious or are you trolling?
    Sent from my iPhone 4.

Thanks

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    trollin lol jk... get on my level

Thanks

agreed, some modmyi posts are absolutely random...
    If only all closed minds came with closed mouths

Common sense is not that common

iPhone? More like MyPhone sammo123's Avatar
    Thanks

Random or not the post was insightful, i think that it the most important thing. Got my attention so I'm going to check this out. Free is always a good tagline to pull me in hah

Thanks

LMAO no one forced you to read this article. Maybe your not interested in free stuff but I sure am. THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP!!!!PS. Lol trolling. Oh man.. why are you asking us if this is apple related news? PM the journalist who wrote this and ask if this relates to apple. So sick of these small minded thinking people who just think because it doesn't relate to them it relates to no one. Wake up.. this site isn't 1000 people anymore like it was time ago. I may not be on everyday posting but I sure have kept in the site all these years.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to hitman10 For This Useful Post:

Poseidon79 (09-19-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

It may not be directly related to Apple but Im pretty sure lots of people probably didn't know this and are happy that it got posted cause now they didn't miss it.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    random, but actually pretty cool

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hitman10 View Post
    LMAO no one forced you to read this article. Maybe your not interested in free stuff but I sure am. THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP!!!!PS. Lol trolling. Oh man.. why are you asking us if this is apple related news? PM the journalist who wrote this and ask if this relates to apple. So sick of these small minded thinking people who just think because it doesn't relate to them it relates to no one. Wake up.. this site isn't 1000 people anymore like it was time ago. I may not be on everyday posting but I sure have kept in the site all these years.
    Coming from a "small minded person" when I check an Apple, iPad, iPhone forum/news site I generally expect to see news related to these things. I did enjoy the post and video however it had nothing to do with Apple, and belongs on a different site.
    If only all closed minds came with closed mouths

Common sense is not that common

Green Apple
    Thanks

Last time a check local news didn't only talk about local news... Just a proof of concept...

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks

Please play nice! (Because I know you can)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Posts like these makes me wonder why I even bother coming here anymore. Like seriously? If I wanted gaming related news than I'd check on a gaming related website. Please try to be more selective on what you guys post about.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hitman10 View Post
    There's a reason why it's generally called Modmyi and not Modmyvideogame. -__-
    Sent from my iPhone 4.

Thanks

Now we just need Portal for iOS.

iPhone? More like MyPhone McMichael96's Avatar
    Thanks

I am personally happy they posted this because I am going to order an iMac (and get it) this week and wanted a few games...

I am getting a 27 inch iMac with the i7 and 2gb of GPU ram and 2TB harddrive (sorry no SSD) and 4GB of ram (I am going to upgrade myself to 8gb as I think 16 gb would be an over kill) not tryin to brag or nothing
    I like apple stuff.
    If you see the username "McMichael96" anywhere, it's probably me.

iPhone? More like MyPhone MaxRabbit's Avatar
    Thanks

What many people didn't realize and what should have been highlighted a little better in the post is that this is a Mac game. This is just as relevant to Mac as the app highlights are to the iPhone.

It's great to know, I'm definitely gonna play this on my iMac at work when there are no customers!
    Last edited by MaxRabbit; 09-18-2011 at 09:28 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Awesome! Thanks for the heads up!