Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Possible MacBook Pro Refresh This Month

Default Possible MacBook Pro Refresh This Month

Apple may be refreshing their line of MacBook Pros this month in preperation for the holiday season according to Apple Insider.

The refresh will likely only include an increase in processor speeds across Apple's entire line of MacBook Pros, and be available as early as thend of this month. Apple's MacBook Pro line was last updated in February introducing faster processors and the new Thunderbolt I/O.

MacBook Pro, 13-inch

• Current: 2.3GHz dual-core Core i5
    • Future: 2.5GHz and 2.6GHz dual-core Core i5
    • Current: 2.7GHz dual-core Core i7
    • Future: 2.8GHz dual-core Core i7

MacBook Pro, 15-inch

• Current: 2.0GHZ or 2.2GHz quad-core Core i7
    • Future: 2.4GHz or 2.5GHz quad-core Core i7

MacBook Pro, 17-inch

• Current: 2.2GHz or 2.3GHz quad-core Core i7
    • Future 2.7GHz quad-core Core i7

New buyers will likely appreciate the bump in processor speeds, but the incremental increase wont cause February refresh owners to run out and purchase the latest and greatest. Apple is most likely using the refresh as an opportunity to put their MacBook Pro specs in line with the new wave of Ultrabooks entering the market.

However, if the need for speed is too much, upgrading your MacBook Pro's ram or installing an aftermarket SSD should quench your thirst until Apple releases a full update. If opting for a full blown SSD is still too rich for your frugal blood, platter-SSD hybrid drives present an affordable alternative.

What upgrades do you the MMi community have installed in your computers, Mac or otherwise?

Source: Apple Insider [via PC World]
    Last edited by Phillip Swanson; 09-14-2011 at 10:33 PM.

I bought a hybrid drive several months back and though it was an improvement, the battery drain really makes it a horrible choice for people like me who can be anywhere at anytime. I upgraded yet again, but this time to a full SSD. I am not "frugal" as you call it by any means but I am not gonna pay 600 or more for a hard drive and I can by almost anything I want within reason. The SSD I have, which is an Intel 510 series actually failed yesterday so I am back on the hybrid until Intel replaces it. I will say I will never own another machine that's not running an SSD. They are simply amazing but still not worth current market value. Just my two cents. As for a possible refresh, I have been thinking of getting a 15inch as a designated media machine and overall browsing and designing computer so I will wait and see. Thanks for the possible heads up.

Haha I'm still kicking my 2007 MacBook white body 2.1 intel core two duo, the only thing was I upgraded from 2Gb of ram to 3Gb just for some spare room for $10 off crucial.com

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

As exciting as this is, I so want an i5 over my current 2010 model ... think I'll wait though bc
    1) just got this MBP
    2) one day (I hope) Apple will implement the SSD as default for MBP's

I'm running the 2010 MBP 17-Inch. Just boosted the RAM to 8 gigs and added a 750Gb HDD at 7200 rpm. I have the dual core i5. I'm looking at selling it though and getting the new iMac. Now that I have an iPad the use for portability from my MPB just isn't there anymore. I tried to google a platter HDD for a Macbook Pro but couldn't find much. Are there any good options out there?

Why not just boost them up to 3.1GHz or higher on the quad-core...

Cool 2 disks in your macbook pro
    I've never needed the optical bay in my Macbook Pro so it's been made external (via something like Amazon.com: White USB2.0 Slim DVD / CD RW Burner External Enclosure Caddy Case with SATA Connetor For Laptop Notebook burner [ Case only!! Drive is not included !!]: Electronics ) and an SSD put it it's place (with the help of something like Amazon.com: SATA 2nd HDD Hard Drive Caddy Adapter for Apple MacBook Pro 13 15 17: Electronics ).

Small SSD's are cheap, and the performance difference of putting the OS and Applications on the SSD is what makes it worth it. Photos, videos and music don't need to be on the SSD (unless you're doing video editing), so they stay on the cheaper and much bigger HDD.On the other hand, using a bigger SSD with a similar setup has the advantage of being able to use the HDD has internal backup space so you don't get down time if the SSD should break.

In summary, Macbook Pro has 1 SSD and 1 HDD in it. Optical bays are rarely needed these days and can be external. It's potentially a cheap upgrade with significant performance improvements.
    Last edited by io41; 09-15-2011 at 02:47 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

MPB15 late '09Got second HDD (WD Black 320GB@7200Rpm) instead of optibay and i am happy.Upgrade time to a newer MPB is coming soon

Its crazy that the MacBook Air 13" performs at roughly the same level as the MacBook Pro because of the standard solid state drive. Of course if you pay the extra money for a SSD when you get a MBP it blows the MBA away.But for the size difference, the MBA is my personal preference.

Thanks

I'm running & iMac with a i5 & i'm getting along fine. Only thing I can update is the Ram. I can't swap out the HD even if I wanted to, cause it's an All in One. BUT..I don't think these new refreshes are warranted to get a New one.

unless Apple decides to something more than just bumped up speeds on the MBR, i would rather stick with the late 2011 MBR 13' than upgrade even though the temptation is there. :-)

Will the new updates be the same prices as the current models? And is there any chance these could get released before the college promotion ends on september 20th?

My iPhone is a Part of Me kuhndsn's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by io41 View Post
    I've never needed the optical bay in my Macbook Pro so it's been made external (via something like Amazon.com: White USB2.0 Slim DVD / CD RW Burner External Enclosure Caddy Case with SATA Connetor For Laptop Notebook burner [ Case only!! Drive is not included !!]: Electronics ) and an SSD put it it's place (with the help of something like Amazon.com: SATA 2nd HDD Hard Drive Caddy Adapter for Apple MacBook Pro 13 15 17: Electronics ).

Small SSD's are cheap, and the performance difference of putting the OS and Applications on the SSD is what makes it worth it. Photos, videos and music don't need to be on the SSD (unless you're doing video editing), so they stay on the cheaper and much bigger HDD.On the other hand, using a bigger SSD with a similar setup has the advantage of being able to use the HDD has internal backup space so you don't get down time if the SSD should break.

In summary, Macbook Pro has 1 SSD and 1 HDD in it. Optical bays are rarely needed these days and can be external. It's potentially a cheap upgrade with significant performance improvements.

I would love to see pics on how you did this. PM me if you have time. I would love to add a SSD and keep my HD. I use my MBP 13" exclusively for my work..part of my work requires adobe cs5 flash builder Photoshop etc..,,

Quote Originally Posted by klouud View Post
    Its crazy that the MacBook Air 13" performs at roughly the same level as the MacBook Pro because of the standard solid state drive.
    Sort of. It might feel like it's just as fast, but there's two different kinds of fast:

More RAM, more cores, and SSD instead of HDD will get you better overall computing performance. Opening, switching between, and closing apps will become a lot faster. In addition, the SSD will boost file management speeds (copying and moving files).

But when it comes to what one might consider "intensive" software like games, video editing, and virtual machines, the biggest factors are going to be your clock speed and your graphics card. Also--keep in mind that having 2 cores both at, say, 2.2 Ghz, doesn't make your computer 4.4 Ghz. In fact, apps typically can only use one single core unless they are explicitly developed to make use of multiple cores. HandBrake is an example of one of these multicore apps.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to n00neimp0rtant For This Useful Post:

i.Annie (09-15-2011)

Transform button. Installed via "The AllSpark".

I will go for the MBP 13" if they put an integrated graphics card inside!!!!!!! COME ON, APPLE!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by n00neimp0rtant View Post
    Sort of. It might feel like it's just as fast, but there's two different kinds of fast:

More RAM, more cores, and SSD instead of HDD will get you better overall computing performance. Opening, switching between, and closing apps will become a lot faster. In addition, the SSD will boost file management speeds (copying and moving files).

But when it comes to what one might consider "intensive" software like games, video editing, and virtual machines, the biggest factors are going to be your clock speed and your graphics card. Also--keep in mind that having 2 cores both at, say, 2.2 Ghz, doesn't make your computer 4.4 Ghz. In fact, apps typically can only use one single core unless they are explicitly developed to make use of multiple cores. HandBrake is an example of one of these multicore apps.
    I like this explanation, backs up personal experience. My MBP dual-boots win7 and my neighbor dual-boots her Air with win7 as well, however, her Air gets very hot very quickly, whereas my MBP does not heat up more than what it should. Would you say this is contributory to the Air having an SSD, or would something else be the largest factor such as the Ghz?

Quote Originally Posted by io41 View Post

The DVD drives's sata connector is only 3gbps while the hardrives one is 6gbps. Hard Drives can only run at 3gbps but SSD's run at 6gbps so swap them around.

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    I like this explanation, backs up personal experience. My MBP dual-boots win7 and my neighbor dual-boots her Air with win7 as well, however, her Air gets very hot very quickly, whereas my MBP does not heat up more than what it should. Would you say this is contributory to the Air having an SSD, or would something else be the largest factor such as the Ghz?
    SSD's run cold, so the SSD will make the Air colder. The reason your MBP is colder is because it has more cores. The more cores a CPU has the more efficient it is.
    Last edited by spazturtle; 09-15-2011 at 05:26 PM.

...yeah... but I don't game on my computers or video/music edit so for me, they do perform at the same level. I'm not just pulling this outa' the air - I have done some research, watched youtube videos where they are benchmarked, and seen demonstrations where they perform at about the same speed.The size is the selling point - and the MBA's screen is betterYes, the MBP can be upgraded... but in 2-4 years when I want a new laptop, I'll just sell the one I have and buy a new one. Buying a new one instead of updating a 2-4 year old computer is going to get way more bang for the buck anyways.But for gamers and those that require massive amounts of power - the MBP is the way to go.