Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Says Chinese Food Company Ripped Off Apple Logo

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Apple Says Chinese Food Company Ripped Off Apple Logo

Apple is seeing red - literally. What's the tech giant upset about now? Apple's legal eagles say a China-based food company has blatantly ripped off the Apple logo.

Yes... a food company. Regardless, Apple is asserting that Sichuan Fangguo Food Co. is infringing on Apple's universally recognized company logo.

The controversial image in question is pictured above. And in case you're wondering, the logo isn't new by any stretch of the imagination. The Fangguo logo was actually created by a Beijing-based design company in the 1980s.

“There’s a leaf so you can tell it’s an apple, but it also contains two Chinese characters," the CEO of Fangguo, Zhao Yi, says in response to the Apple criticism. "The orientation is also different, and ours is a totally different shape.” So did his company pattern its logo after Apple's? “When I started Fangguo," Yi admits, "I had never even heard of Apple.”

Zhao says he received a letter in July from the Guangzhou branch of Beijing Zhucheng Law written on behalf of Apple. The application period for Fangguo's new logo registration was two days away from closing.

The letter included two complaints: First, the resemblance of Fangguo's logo to Apple's. The latter company is known as "Pingguo" in Chinese; the two names feature the same second character, 果/guo, which refers to fruit. Additionally, the Nanchong, Sichuan-based Fangguo had applied to register its logo under 16 different product categories, including "notebook computers" and "electronic-game software," some of which overlap with categories in which Apple holds trademark registration.
    The primary products produced by the company include flour and noodles, although rice, grain oil, snack foods, and "other types of food products" are also now manufactured by the company.

Source: GoChengdoo

That's very greedy apple!
    Last edited by i.Annie; 09-06-2011 at 08:59 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone MaStA819's Avatar
    Thanks

This is getting ridiculous. Apple is out of their mind. Hearing about all these lawsuits and bullying on a daily basis by Apple is soon going to steer me away from their products.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MaStA819 For This Useful Post:

that_girl (09-06-2011)

I think if anyone would be upset about this it would be LG. Really? Because it has a leaf that makes it an Apple rip off? Leave them alone Apple, let LG take this lawsuit.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to pyroguy57 For This Useful Post:

that_girl (09-06-2011)

Quote Originally Posted by MaStA819 View Post
    This is getting ridiculous. Apple is out of their mind. Hearing about all these lawsuits and bullying on a daily basis by Apple is soon going to steer me away from their products.
    I couldn't agree more, seems that these days almost daily I read at least one news article that makes me start to dislike them a little more.

Apple is just being bullish now! Bill Gates, where are you? Show Apple that you are the boss!

Kinda looks like LG and Apple mixed

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

This is worse than when Apple sued Woolworths.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to feidhlim1986 For This Useful Post:

that_girl (09-06-2011)

Thanks

I am actually considering selling my iPad and buying an Android tablet and swearing off all Apple products completely. This is total crap, Apple used to be the company that wanted to make great technology for people and now they just want everyone to spend way too much money on their products to conform with their view on everything, They restrict developers to dictate morality and what is and isn't appropriate, they restrict customization to prevent individuality, and they bully everyone and spend millions on lawsuits all the time to prevent competition and get what they want.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Grow up Apple!

Wow they are getting childish now. I think I'll mail them a carton of pacifiers.

Yes it does look a bit like an Apple logo or even an LG logo, and yes Apple seem to want to sue the world, but does that make me want to stop using their products ..........

erm NO

So what if Apple want to sue over this or any other perceived infringement of copyright, If I were as big as them, then I'd want to protect my company & logo and patents and everything else. But their actions in or out of court does not stop their products being brilliant as all you well know.

If you ask me, apple can sue whoever they want so long as they keep on produceing the goods.

Just my 2p worth

Jolly

It looks more like a copy of Pac-man than Apple

Well, Apple has a legal responsibility to protect their brand (world wide), so while we may think it silly, it has to be done under most trademark and copyright laws in order to keep them valid.

If Apple were to loose a trademark or copyright because they ignored something like this, then the stockholders would be up in arms over it. So they may take it too far the other way, but it's the way the laws work.

Does no one seem to think it's fishy that a food company registered the logo under software and laptops as well? I think apple is smarter than most of us, so who are we to say whats stupid and what's not?

the apple logo these days recognized isn't even red for 1... and 2 it doesn't even look alike imo.... looks more like a perfume bottle anyways... and why wait 30 some years b4 you sue?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by louietsang View Post
    .... looks more like a perfume bottle anyways... ...
    Me too !

Thanks
    Thanked 2,072 Times in 464 Posts

This is beyond ridiculous, really...

Scratch that.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,754 Times in 891 Posts

I looked at the picture before I read the article and my first thought was that the author had edited an LG logo. After reading the article I'm a little surprised that it's apple taking offence to it.

Every time Apple sues someone, you can rest assured they pass that "savings" on to us...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast