+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iCloud Powered By Microsoft, Amazon Servers and Irony

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
The Register is reporting that Apple's iCloud service is powered by Microsoft's Azure and Amazon's AWS servers for hosting. Apple reportedly wants to focus on building the consumer-side experience of
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default iCloud Powered By Microsoft, Amazon Servers and Irony

The Register is reporting that Apple's iCloud service is powered by Microsoft's Azure and Amazon's AWS servers for hosting.

Apple reportedly wants to focus on building the consumer-side experience of iCloud, rather than become a full-time cloud storage service provider. After the embarrassing launch of MobileMe Apple outsourcing it's server-side duties to those more experienced and trusted in the server/cloud sphere provides a blanket of technical security as well as PR security. If someone flubs up, Apple doesn't have to take all the flack. Still, relying on two of your largest competitors to ensure your brand new and highly anticipated cloud-based service launches without a hitch wreaks of just a little irony.

Microsoft appears to be ignoring any hints of ironic comedy and is ecstatic with Apple's use of Azure, reportedly calling the deal a "validation of Azure," and "a great opportunity to get Azure under a very visible workload." Whatever Microsoft or Amazon's thoughts, securing a customer like Apple translates to a large, long-term revenue stream. Well, as long as the service lives up to Apple's freakish standards of perfection.

Apple is set to debut its iCloud service this fall and will utilize three data centers initially, as well as spreading customer information across the three companies' servers. Sources believe Apple will be running "the full Azure service – the Windows Azure compute and controller part and SQL Azure storage which hosts tables, queues and flat files." This presents its own potential problems as Apple may have to utilize custom made software to retrieve and send files across multiple platforms.

Bottom line though, Apple must avoid a MobileMe level of embarrassment at launch, and by the looks of it they've gone to great lengths to do so including swallowing a little of their pride.

Source: Apple Insider, The Register
    Last edited by Phillip Swanson; 09-06-2011 at 09:16 AM.

Thanks

Seems like this piece of "news" keeps getting re-reported. Not that I don't think it's ironic that apple is relying on Microsoft and Amazon for anything, but c'mon, if I'm getting tired of hearing about it, aren't you guys getting tired of talking about it?
    I always thought the term "early adopter" (regarding tech) was a bit snooty. So, I'll go ahead and call myself an early adopter, cuz I'm feeling a bit snooty.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Tario70's Avatar
    Thanks

Actually I hope news like this keeps fanboys in check.

I've used Macs, Windows, & different distros of Linux & I just prefer Windows. I do love my iPhone & can't wait until the 5 is released & jailbroken so I can upgrade.

This is the kind of news that I hope shows people that one isn't "better" than another but that it's all based on what works for you & no one should need to defend or attack that.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    It has been said many times, but people who really think that Microsoft and Apple have a bad relationship are the fanboys who need this we/they feeling to make themselves feel to be on the "right" side.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Does anyone really think that all Apple's backend services or even internal infrastructure runs on 100% Apple Products?

Apple are good at making consumer products, not at making enterprise level products or services - Microsoft and Amazon are.

iPhone? More like MyPhone hapishyguy's Avatar
    Thanks

Bill Gates!

What's Jailbreak? andrewbixcube's Avatar
    Thanks

This is old news! I've known this for ages as my mate works for Microsoft! Hehe

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

So if they're using S3 for the cloud, what the hell is the huge-*** new data center for?

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by andrewbixcube View Post
    This is old news! I've known this for ages as my mate works for Microsoft! Hehe
    Link me to the "old news" story. Having inside information doesn't make this old news as the rest of the world doesn't have friends at MS like you.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

This is why Apple is a stressful company. They see the cost involved in becoming a cloud services company and they know that what they invest in the technologies that exists now is a lot less to bring their users the service that want.

No need to reinvent the wheel

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tario70 View Post
    Actually I hope news like this keeps fanboys in check.

I've used Macs, Windows, & different distros of Linux & I just prefer Windows. I do love my iPhone & can't wait until the 5 is released & jailbroken so I can upgrade.

This is the kind of news that I hope shows people that one isn't "better" than another but that it's all based on what works for you & no one should need to defend or attack that.
    I'm a Windows application developer, but when I go home and want to use a computer, its the Mac that I go to. Its easier to develop apps on Windows, but easier in many ways to use apps on the Mac. I'm sure some (Apple fanboys or Apple haters) will disagree with one or the other of these preferences, but they are just that.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I hate the way reporters talk like they know this crap. Like you have the right to say microsoft and amazon are dumb to work with apple. Like two successful companies didn't think about the outcome as good as you...

iPhone? More like MyPhone Tario70's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by domenicp View Post
    I'm a Windows application developer, but when I go home and want to use a computer, its the Mac that I go to. Its easier to develop apps on Windows, but easier in many ways to use apps on the Mac. I'm sure some (Apple fanboys or Apple haters) will disagree with one or the other of these preferences, but they are just that.
    & you hit my point right on the head. It's all about preference. Each OS has its strengths & weaknesses, but it's all about your comfort level & what you like to use. Use what you like & who cares after that!

(I do have OS X Lion running as a Virtual & several distros of Linux in virtual as well. I do like to play!)