Results 1 to 11 of 11

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Mac OS X Install Base Grows to Over 6% Worldwide, 13% in US

  1. #1
    Default Mac OS X Install Base Grows to Over 6% Worldwide, 13% in US


    According to the latest tracking data from NetMarketShare, Mac OS X's install base worldwide has increased to over 6% and 13% in the United States. This increase is in direct connection with the release of Apple's newest operating system, Lion. Just over the last few months, Apple's OS chunk of the market grew approximately .43%. The increases are as follows:

    May 2011 - 5.60%
    June - July 2011 - 5.96%
    August 2011 - 6.03%

    There was no tables provided however the U.S. share for Mac OS X is now at 13.42%.

    Although Apple's OS chunk is on the rise, Microsoft Windows is still the clear leader, leading at 92.90% worldwide with Linux taking a measly 1.07% share. Mac OS X Lion accounts for 1.03% of the overall market in comparison to 1.17% for Leopard and 3.46% for Snow Leopard.



    Mac OS X's rapid increase could be due to Apple's new way of distributing operating systems; the Mac App Store. Because it was easier to upgrade and you didn't have to wait for the physical DVDs, the jump from Snow Leopard to Lion was faster than transitions in the past.

    Apple reported that after the first day of launching Lion, sales topped over one million, making it the most successful operating system launch in the history of Mac OS X.

    Source(s): AppleInsider

  2. #2
    Crazy but apple is doing great!!
    Instagram: zplit
    Twitter: zplit

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by zplit View Post
    Crazy but apple is doing great!!
    Not as good as windows ;p

    What is Sun OS?

  4. #4
    Green Apple droop4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Santa Fe Springs, CA
    Posts
    64
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by zplit View Post
    Crazy but apple is doing great!!
    its funny. this numbers seem so insignificant, but you're right.. apple is doing great. The other guys should be on the lookout (not worried yet, but on "careful" mode) as this numbers are starting to grow exponentially.

  5. #5
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Milky Way, Solar System, Earth
    Posts
    142
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    Actually, it's not apple who's doing great, not in the OS way in particular.
    These numbers grow because:
    1) Apple produces a whole range of iMobile_Device, and because of their market share more people start to be interested in apple computers and thus MacOS. I know ppl who use Windows and Linux on their Macs.
    2) Microsoft continues to faq-up windows. Vista on the launch was a complete fail, whilst W7 mostly only heals what Vista did wrong (vista should have been that, what W7 is...). Previews of W8 are even more depressing.
    3) More and more gaming studios start to port games on MacOS, blizzard continues to produce games playable on MacOS on the day-launch.

  6. #6
    Default OS X is just better????
    Quote Originally Posted by dennder View Post
    Actually, it's not apple who's doing great, not in the OS way in particular.
    These numbers grow because:
    1) Apple produces a whole range of iMobile_Device, and because of their market share more people start to be interested in apple computers and thus MacOS. I know ppl who use Windows and Linux on their Macs.
    2) Microsoft continues to faq-up windows. Vista on the launch was a complete fail, whilst W7 mostly only heals what Vista did wrong (vista should have been that, what W7 is...). Previews of W8 are even more depressing....

    Funny is... Windows Vista the "worst" example of Micro$oft still beats OS X at 9% vs 6% based on worldwide numbers. I think reviews of Windows 8 have been mostly good.

    I agree with your first statement though...I am a long time PC user recent convert to iMac and OS X Lion after enjoying my iPad, iTouch and iPhone purchases.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by The Man of Sand View Post
    Not as good as windows ;p

    What is Sun OS?
    SunOS is a unix OS made by Sun in 1982, it's last update was in 1994.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by spazturtle View Post
    SunOS is a unix OS made by Sun in 1982, it's last update was in 1994.
    Then there doing pretty good since they havent had an update in 17 years and they are still being compared to Linux, OS X and Windows!

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by The Man of Sand View Post
    Then there doing pretty good since they havent had an update in 17 years and they are still being compared to Linux, OS X and Windows!
    Finding OS's for supercomputers is hard.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by spazturtle View Post
    Finding OS's for supercomputers is hard.
    Well whats comsudered a super computer?

  11. #11
    Sug Luv Super Moderator 2k1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Hammond Louisiana
    Posts
    34,059
    Thanks
    1,815
    Thanked 7,065 Times in 4,206 Posts

    Spam^^^^^

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •