Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: U2 Front Man Bono Comes to The Defense of Former Apple Chief Steve Jobs

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,481 Times in 567 Posts

Default U2 Front Man Bono Comes to The Defense of Former Apple Chief Steve Jobs

U2 singer Bono is sticking up for former Apple CEO Steve Jobs in the wake of public criticism that the iconic tech boss hasn't perceptibly done enough public giving.

A recent column published in the New York Times by Andrew Ross Sorkin generated no shortage of controversy. Titled "The Mystery of Steve Jobs's Public Giving," Sorkin used his trusty pen to direct some biting jabs at Steve Jobs about what Sorkin calls "no public record" of Steve Jobs coughing up cash for charity.

Incensed by the column was Bono, the U2 front man who responded to Sorkin's somewhat harsh commentary with a letter that was published yesterday in the New York Times. Although Sorkin "still hasn't found what he's looking for," Bono says Steve Jobs has engendered a "beautiful day" for numerous causes, including AIDS research.

"As a founder of (Product)RED," Bono says, "I’d like to point out that Apple’s contribution to our fight against AIDS in Africa has been invaluable. Through the sale of (RED) products, Apple has been (RED)’s largest contributor to the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria — giving tens of millions of dollars that have transformed the lives of more than two million Africans through H.I.V. testing, treatment and counseling. This is serious and significant. And Apple’s involvement has encouraged other companies to step up."

According to Bono, when Steve Jobs was first approached about (RED), Jobs reportedly said that “there is nothing better than the chance to save lives.”

"I’m proud to know him," Bono concluded. "He’s a poetic fellow, an artist and a businessman. Just because he’s been extremely busy, that doesn’t mean that he and his wife, Laurene, have not been thinking about these things. You don’t have to be a friend of his to know what a private person he is or that he doesn’t do things by halves."

Source: New York Times

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

I'll back up whatever Bono says. #win

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Must be a slow day at the Times ....