+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Openwave Seeks Ban on All iPhone, iPad Imports in New Lawsuit

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default Openwave Seeks Ban on All iPhone, iPad Imports in New Lawsuit

Openwave Systems has filed suit against both Apple and Research In Motion for allegedly infringing on the company's intellectual property and associated patents. According to Bloomberg, Openwave filed complaints with the U.S. International Trade Commission and in federal court in Delaware.

Openwave asserts that two smartphone pioneers have mutually infringed upon at least five of its patents. The violated patents in question supposedly relate to the ways in which mobile devices (phones and tablet computers) connect to the Internet. As part of the complaint, Openwave is requesting that all importation of Apple's iPhone and iPad be blocked immediately.

Although the request doesn't appear likely to be granted, we have to keep in mind that Apple has previously succeeded in getting its competitors' products blocked from importation as well, even if for only a short while.

“There are people in the world who deliver products into the market that are leveraging our patented technology,” Openwave Chief Executive Officer Ken Denman said in a statement released to the media. The inventions are “foundational to the mobile Internet and we believe it’s only right we get paid for the use of our foundational technology.”

Prior to filing suit, Openwave admits to having reached out directly to Apple and RIM, yet neither party apparently responded in a manner that was sufficient or consistent with Openwave's request for compensation.

Source: Bloomberg

Thanks

Is there a patent for the way I breath air?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

No matter how valid these complaints are, or invalid, especially compared to Apple V Samsung complaints, Apple's pockets are too deep for them be slapped with any injunctions.

Money makes the world go around, and money can make you above the law or bend it to your will.

iPhone? More like MyPhone SwatPac's Avatar
    Thanks

I Lol when some ******** company comes out of nowhere to sue someone for some ******** patent.

I have just patented the use of the word "********" so don't infringe on my foundational use of this word, or I will sue you.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 09-01-2011 at 09:20 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SwatPac View Post
    I Lol when some ******** company comes out of nowhere to sue someone for some ******** patent.

I have just patented the use of the word "********" so don't infringe on my foundational use of this word, or I will sue you.
    just registered to say this is ********. lol
    You gotta love it. In US anyone will sue for any stupid reason.
    Who needs to work, Just start patenting the way you do stuff, and then start collecting.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 09-01-2011 at 09:21 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,644 Times in 689 Posts

i read this some where yesterday, and the part about them being out of money is missing. So ya being out of or low on money when make any company lawsuit happy.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I know. That's why I lol'd when Apple decided to sue HTC and Samsung. Hilarious!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Essany View Post

Although the request doesn't appear likely to be granted,
    How'd you come to that conclusion?
    Last edited by i.Annie; 09-01-2011 at 09:22 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ericwall's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesey123 View Post
    Is there a patent for the way I breath air?
    Stole the words right out of my mouth.

REALLY? If someone were to patent the oxygen we breath, we would have to pay them each time we took a breath? I would like these corporations to stop acting like five year olds and do something productive!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Painkiller006's Avatar
    Thanks

I think you just described Apple
    Last edited by i.Annie; 09-01-2011 at 09:23 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

I seem to remember this specific rash of mobile computing IP lawsuits were started by Apple themselves. Perhaps they didn't realize the size of the can of worms they were opening at the time.

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

Just wait till Al Gore hears about this... he invented the internet you know. Somebody's gonna owe him big!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Actually, if they came up with a viable way to access the internet with Mobile devices and now others use the same method, then they should be compensated.

Of course patents need some reform. It was originally intended that a patent would be in place for 10 years and then the work would automatically become public domain, allowing anyone to use it after that. The idea was that the person who came up with the original version would be compensated by then and it would spark innovation by giving others something to build off of when the patent expired.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ericwall View Post
    Stole the words right out of my mouth.

REALLY? If someone were to patent the oxygen we breath, we would have to pay them each time we took a breath? I would like these corporations to stop acting like five year olds and do something productive!
    Thing is, the oxygen we breath can not be patented. It is not produced by anyone. Perhaps if we get to the point where we are consuming more oxygen than the planet can support and we find an efficient way to isolate oxygen (O2 that is), then that METHOD will be patented. But no naturally occurring element or compound can itself be patented, copyrighted, etc.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

Damn. I guess I owe u a ton of money then lol. Please don't sue
    Last edited by i.Annie; 09-01-2011 at 09:24 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wljw69 View Post
    Damn. I guess I owe u a ton of money then lol. Please don't sue
    Loophole. He patented "********.". So we all say "********"
    Last edited by i.Annie; 09-01-2011 at 09:25 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone sammo123's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
    I know. That's why I lol'd when Apple decided to sue HTC and Samsung. Hilarious!

How'd you come to that conclusion?
    Any moron would have come to that conclusion you would never say anything against a company suing apple since your anti apple though you lurk this apple site harder than anyone
    RIP Steve Jobs.. You changed the world

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sammo123 View Post
    Any moron would have come to that conclusion you would never say anything against a company suing apple since your anti apple though you lurk this apple site harder than anyone
    I know any moron would come to that conclusion.....which must be why you are coming to that conclusion....but that still doesn't answer my question.

And the reason I don't say anything about other companies suing Apple is because Apple is suing other companies over the same pointless crap.

iPhone? More like MyPhone sammo123's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
    I know any moron would come to that conclusion.....which must be why you are coming to that conclusion....but that still doesn't answer my question.

And the reason I don't say anything about other companies suing Apple is because Apple is suing other companies over the same pointless crap.
    So you will talk **** about apple when they sue people, but will gladly keep your mouth shut when others sue apple? Seems pretty one sided
    RIP Steve Jobs.. You changed the world

iPhone? More like MyPhone SwatPac's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sammo123 View Post
    So you will talk **** about apple when they sue people, but will gladly keep your mouth shut when others sue apple? Seems pretty one sided
    Don't mind Him, He's just trolling. Every company sues other company's, Apple included. It's okay if it's justified, but "Openwave" is just another company trying to bullsh*t to get a piece of the pie. Not cool; Bullsh*t!
    When Is The Apple iCar Coming Out? I Want One!

Thanks

Good luck, you'll need it