+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Prepares for Hurricane Irene with East Coast Apple Store Closings

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default Apple Prepares for Hurricane Irene with East Coast Apple Store Closings

On Friday, New York City ordered the evacuation of more than 250,000 residents - an unprecedented move - ahead of Hurricane Irene's expected arrival over the weekend. Conversely, city leaders are simultaneously preparing to shut down its entire mass transit system until the storm blows over.

"We've never done a mandatory evacuation before and we wouldn't be doing it now if we didn't think this storm had the potential to be very serious," NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg said to reporters today, according to CNBC. Just how serious is the threat of this hurricane? All Saturday and Sunday shows on Broadway are effectively canceled - the first major cancellation of this kind since the attacks of September 11, 2001.

And the mayor’s announcement prompted a cascade of cancellations for Saturday and Sunday: Broadway shows; the Mets’ games against the Atlanta Braves at Citi Field; performances by the Dave Matthews Band on Governors Island; an outdoor film festival of operas at Lincoln Center, among many others.
    Joining in the precaution-taking is Apple. It was announced today that many of Apple's New York City-area retail stores will be closed in hopes of keeping people out of harm's way should the storm make landfall along this potential path. Incredibly, however, a decision is yet to be made about Apple's 24-7 Fifth Avenue store location, which "never closes."

“You only have to look at the weather maps to understand how big this storm is and how unique it is,” Bloomberg said today, “and it’s heading basically for us.”

Source: NY Times, CNBC, MacRumors

Thanks

Good thing I'm on vacation in England!

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

This is a funny news post. Plenty of stores are closing shop in hopes to wait out the storm. This isn't unique to Apple. I mean look at the image. "Mandatory Evacuation". Sort of implies everyone is required to GTFO.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

this is pretty sad. my company provides the communication solutions to the east coast hospitals, city governments and etc. we had to test our servers and communication tools to ensure they are working before the weekend. when the hurricane hits, our system is used to tell the police, paramedics and firefighters to warn people. i hope it doesnt hit.. sad..

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by punjabi212 View Post
    Good thing I'm on vacation in England!
    LOL too bad your home is gonna be destoryed when you get back ;D

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    This is a funny news post. Plenty of stores are closing shop in hopes to wait out the storm. This isn't unique to Apple. I mean look at the image. "Mandatory Evacuation". Sort of implies everyone is required to GTFO.
    That made me laugh

iPhone? More like MyPhone spider_romeo's Avatar
    Thanks

John 12:25
    King James Version (KJV)
    25He that loveth his life shall lose it; and he that hateth his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whenyourmad View Post
    LOL too bad your home is gonna be destoryed when you get back ;D
    LMAO you got me a nice little chuckle going with that line!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I can only imagine the havoc that this will bring to a store constructed mainly of glass. It's so ironic that I just watched a show on either discovery or nat geo about a week ago about how the new york area hasn't seen a hurricane in over a hundred years and it was due for one. It talked about how the skyscrapers will drastically intensify the winds and how devastating it would be. My prayers go out to the city and everyone in it.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Don't forget to give us live updates on how the Apple Stores are doing during the storm. I'm sure we will all lose sleep thinking about it.
    Last edited by RICO_; 08-26-2011 at 07:57 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blakwidowstang View Post
    I can only imagine the havoc that this will bring to a store constructed mainly of glass. It's so ironic that I just watched a show on either discovery or nat geo about a week ago about how the new york area hasn't seen a hurricane in over a hundred years and it was due for one. It talked about how the skyscrapers will drastically intensify the winds and how devastating it would be. My prayers go out to the city and everyone in it.
    The store will be fine. It has been under construction for the past few weeks and all of the glass is covered up right now. The store in Meatpacking is probably the most at risk of flooding.
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spider_romeo View Post
    King James Version (KJV)
    25He that loveth his life shall lose it; and he that hateth his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal.
    Pigs 3:little
    little pig little pig let me in......

I like all kinds of fairy tales, may as well toss the bible in with them.

As far as apple closing stores being news

I know some live and die by what apple is doing on any given day but really?
    I just called all my family in Prince Frederick and Cove Pt. Md. to let them know the apple stores were evacuated..... they were happy to hear it.
    Last edited by rkswat; 08-26-2011 at 11:54 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Wait wait wait... people in NEW YORK are already evacuating? What the hell? I'm in NORTH CAROLINA and we aren't evacuating. People are taking this way too seriously. I think the most that's gonna happen (even here) is a lot of heavy rain and heavy winds. By the time it reaches New York it's gonna be even less of a threat.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Extremador For This Useful Post:

LanCo Rider (08-27-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,512 Times in 2,730 Posts

Nothing bad is going to happen ppl!!! I hope
    Instagram: zplit
    Twitter: zplit

iPhone? More like MyPhone GranDaddyPurp's Avatar
    Thanks

I live in NYC but I'm not worried about this at all. I honestly think it isn't going to be that bad. I just thank the hurricane for closing down public transportation and the airport so I don't have to go to work. I've worked two weeks straight and need a short vaca lol.
    I Take Three L's To The Head...Love, Live, Life then I'm Dead

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Breaking News: Apple Retail store on the East Coast has just received a scratch on the outside glass....may actually cost money to fix!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to RICO_ For This Useful Post:

LanCo Rider (08-27-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone LanCo Rider's Avatar
    Thanks

Oh come on! Freakin girls.

I am in South Eastern PA and we are going to get hit much harder than NY. We don't have no stinkin evacuations.

I'm an EMT and getting ready to head to the station for stand by. Looks like Irene will be hitting us within the next hour or two.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

80mph winds?

I live in the pacific and when we have typhoons we deal with super typhoons (you call them hurricanes). Wind speeds reach up to 200mph. And to top it off, we live on an island we have no place to evacuate to.

Stay indoors and you should be fine, dont be stupid and go outside during a hurricane for completely obvious reasons.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Donnutt's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spider_romeo View Post
    King James Version (KJV)
    Wow, that's depressing... John must have been a real gas at parties huh? Going over like a fart in church and all?