+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Samsung May Buy HP's PC Division, More Awkwardness With Frienemy Apple

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
According to Digitimes' sources Samsung is looking to purchase Hewlett-Packard's PC Business. The source claims that Samsung met with HP's top notebook contractor, Quanta Computer, as well Compal Electronics, and
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Samsung May Buy HP's PC Division, More Awkwardness With Frienemy Apple

According to Digitimes' sources Samsung is looking to purchase Hewlett-Packard's PC Business.

The source claims that Samsung met with HP's top notebook contractor, Quanta Computer, as well Compal Electronics, and Pegatron Technology. The discussion topic? Outsourcing notebook orders.

To most this would signal that Samsung simply wants to enter the notebook business and is looking for manufacturers. However, Digitimes' sources believe this is evidence Samsung wants to purchase HP's PC business which shipped a combined 100 million+ PC's and Laptops last year.

Samsung is already projected to ship about 16 million laptops this year, but as one of the largest producers of PC components including hard drives, LCDS, batteries and memory, could cut costs immensely with vertical integration. Plus Samsung would inherit any patents HP's PC division owns.

Samsung would of course then be a direct competitor to Apple in yet another market. Apple would most likely drop Samsung completely as a component supplier, not just because they're a competitor, but because Samsung would likely horde their produced components for their now massive PC division. This would then of course create problems for Samsung as they would lose a substantial bit of income from Apple and other companies purchasing their components as their factories dedicate to producing for themselves. This in itself presents a problem. If the new PC division of Samsung doesn't sell the products they produce, then Samsung wont see a return on their investment in terms of vertical integration. Samsung will need to take whatever they purchase, chop it off at the knees, and reinvent the currently bloated HP brand.

While Samsung has the money, market share, and perhaps know-how to pull off this deal, it may be in their best interest to stay far far away from HP's barely profitable PC division. On the other hand, if they reinvent the HP PC division and can effectively produce products that compete with Apple, and other manufacturers, they could gain market share and become an even larger player in the mobile computing world. But, they might in the process sacrifice their stance as one of the largest component suppliers, not because there isn't the demand or they lack the capacity, but because of a perceived conflict of interest.

Source: Wired
    Last edited by Phillip Swanson; 08-23-2011 at 04:01 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone syedsufyan's Avatar
    Thanks
    With Samsung's current problems,they will probably go out of business and take HP's computers with them. Plus, they have an ugly logo.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Not good for HP. I wouldn't be surprised if HP goes out of business.

Thanks

I hope they don't purchase HP, for some reason I've always favored HP computers over other Windows PC companies. If they do at least I just got a new HP laptop that I can use until I save up to get a MBP.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Vertical integration worked just fine for Mr. Carnegie...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redapex View Post
    Vertical integration worked just fine for Mr. Carnegie...
    Lmao, was thinking the same thing when I read it. Vertical integration = vertical monopoly.
    I'm sure Samsung is doing just fine selling their chromebooks... Lol

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by teej1410 View Post
    Not good for HP. I wouldn't be surprised if HP goes out of business.
    HP will never go out of business. They are a lot more than just a PC maker.

Hewlett-Packard - Products and Structure
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]