Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cydia Creator Goes to Court to Obtain Cydia Domain Name

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by saurik View Post
    In order for this to happen, they need to either entertain my offer or at least give me a response with their quote in it: to date, over the last three years, occasional attempts to negotiate transfer of the domain name in exchange for money has gone nowhere.

Their website has had this message on it for many months now, maybe even a year (I do not remember when they decided to put that up). It certainly has no correlation to anything that I have said in public, or anything I have filed: there would have been no ability for anyone to have attacked them on purpose because of me.

It is my belief that they decided at some point that their website's content (which was mostly users attempting to contact an official Cydia support channel) was damning to their case to hold the domain name, so they decided to take the website down instead.

(For what it's worth, I asked my lawyer why this was included before we filed, and I was told this was standard practice in lawsuits like this. The legal fees are actually quite low, and the general hope is that stuff like this never hits courts anyway: all I really want is for the current owners to actually be willing to negotiate.)
    i understand people by names to make money but why cant this guy make a deal?why cause he's trying to get rich off this, which is lame take a few bucks for the name and move on , i dont know personlly but i doubt saurik is a multi millionare , so quit trying to hit it big. or hes just a lame nobody who want to say i own cydia.com to get people to think he is a sombody.............

The Jack White of Photoshop Hosko817's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 412 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bigliquid530 View Post
    I Thought if they bought the domain name they own it, isn't it that simple, so in turn if someone wants it they should have to pay for it regardless of the price they put on it(Not trying to be a smart azz just wondering isn't that how it goes).....
    Well you do own it for a period. Has to be renewed every so often or you lose the rights to the domain name. A really good example of what these people do is "playstation". See this link: playstation5.com This domain is for sale. Guess what? some years down the road these people are banking on the fact that sony will keep the playstation brand around till a 5th gen console comes out and when that time comes sony will pay up. OR they can unload it to some other d-bag first. It happens to every well known brand and any name that may payoff down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by KraXik View Post
    Have you just ignored all the above posts? Try and post something that's slightly relevant and makes sense.

Troll much?
    Didn't realize my message was so cryptic, sorry about that... Point being is that Saurik has built his brand, and now another company is capitalizing on this with misinformation. Apple is a pretty generic term, but Apple Computers has the rights. If apple dot org started making money on their site using Apple product misinformation do you not think there would be an issue?

Saurik, why do you feel entitled to the name if they've indeed owned it since before you ever heard of an iPhone? I don't think the jaylenoshow.com story applies here, since jay leno is a person's name while cydia is a word that's older than dirt. I grant you that people might be going to cydia.com by mistake, hoping to learn about your software, but isn't that ultimately because you decided to use the name cydia even though it was already trademarked and in use?
    This was my reasoning behind the Apple analogy. So, yes I did read the article...
    Last edited by oss001; 08-25-2011 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Additional Comments

You guys keep calling the internet real-estate guys d-bags and then lauding Saurik for doing what he has to for his business. Idealize it if you want, but they're both businesses, and both are legitimate. Internet domain name ownership and sales is as old as the public internet itself. It's not illegal, and just because you think they're scum of the earth doesn't mean their rights are any less relevant. If Sony were smart, they would have planned ahead and spent a few bucks on the domain names of any possible subsequent playstation successors within the conceivable range of the system's lifespan. Same goes for Saurik. Or he could have used a different name. I respect his opinion but there's a phrase called "a day late and a dollar short" that applies here. Do your business. Don't try to stop someone else from doing theirs just because the interest of their business has collided against your business interests. And if you DO try to interfere with someone else's business, don't try to act like the hero because you're not.

The Jack White of Photoshop Hosko817's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 412 Posts

I understand your point of view and never said their rights were less relevant. Nobody's "lauding" Saurik either for that matter. However youd be pretty pissed if you decided to start up a business and wanted to offer your goods and services online only to find out that I registered "clockworkengine".com already, and decided that what you thought was a fair to more than fair price for the domain wasn't enough. hmmmm... while I'm at it let me think of some possible typo's somebody might make while typing "clockworkengine".com. I think i'll just register clkworkengine, clockwrkengine, etc.. Now, if I finally do decide to sell you the original, I have these others just incase a competitor wants to divert traffic to their site. Here is a nice example of that right here: rotorooterplumming.com Hey!,wait I thought I was goint to a rotorooter site not 303-plumber!

If Sony were smart, they would have planned ahead and spent a few bucks on the domain names of any possible subsequent playstation successors within the conceivable range of the system's lifespan. Same goes for Saurik.
    registering Gtld's may be innexpensive if your only doing a couple, But add on CCtld's, future versions, products, typo's ,Numbers, words before and after your brand name, It adds up to a lot of domains and a lot of money that you "should have planned ahead for.
    Last edited by Hosko817; 08-26-2011 at 04:42 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123