+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 45

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Cydia Creator Goes to Court to Obtain Cydia Domain Name

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Originally Posted by MuddyPaws Lame as hell. Sue them to stop from running a web site that might claim to be related saurik's software. NOT to FORCE them to sell
...
  1. #21
    iPhoneaholic rud3bwoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    443
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 15 Times in 11 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by MuddyPaws View Post
    Lame as hell.

    Sue them to stop from running a web site that might claim to be related saurik's software. NOT to FORCE them to sell something that they own and do not want to sell.

    Should have check into the domain name before you named your software.
    agreed

  2. #22
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by nerddownthestreet View Post
    Cydia is a latin work. Lamest lawsuit ever
    I thought cydia was an acronym....
    (Can Yours Do It All?)

  3. #23
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    13
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Guys don't criticize Saurik for this. If he does it he does it. If you have nothing positive and helpful about it then I see no point to clutter up the comments with pointless negative comments.

  4. #24
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    19
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Check out nissan.com, there is a similar lawsuit going on there.

  5. #25
    iPhone? More like MyPhone JonnyBoy123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    In a house
    Posts
    101
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 13 Times in 7 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by rtalley45 View Post
    I thought cydia was an acronym....
    (Can Yours Do It All?)
    That's a pretty awesome acronym no lie hahaha!
     Think Different.

  6. #26
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by GreenApp1e View Post
    Guys don't criticize Saurik for this. If he does it he does it. If you have nothing positive and helpful about it then I see no point to clutter up the comments with pointless negative comments.
    So the comments section is only there for people that agree with the blog post? Seems as silly as the law suit.

  7. #27
    miPhone's better than yours GellBrake'rrrr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    D-town Tejas
    Posts
    490
    Thanks
    317
    Thanked 79 Times in 53 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by nerddownthestreet View Post
    Cydia is a latin work. Lamest lawsuit ever
    Get em Jay!!!

  8. #28
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    64
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 23 Times in 16 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by MuddyPaws View Post
    Lame as hell.

    Sue them to stop from running a web site that might claim to be related saurik's software. NOT to FORCE them to sell something that they own and do not want to sell.

    Should have check into the domain name before you named your software.
    LOL. If you register a mark and don't use it or stop using it, you can lose it. This case illustrates it well: This guy registered the domain name thejaylenoshow.com years before the actual show came out, but the courts ruled in Jay Leno's favor when he filed suit to take over it. Right to Publicity link

  9. #29
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    22
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    A commenter mentioned on pg 1 or 2 that the cydia.com domain has been registered to its current owner since 2002. I wish Saurik would comment on that. We can discuss trademark laws all day but if the commenter is correct, I'd say that makes trademark laws inconsequential in this case. Saurik, why do you feel entitled to the name if they've indeed owned it since before you ever heard of an iPhone? I don't think the jaylenoshow.com story applies here, since jay leno is a person's name while cydia is a word that's older than dirt. I grant you that people might be going to cydia.com by mistake, hoping to learn about your software, but isn't that ultimately because you decided to use the name cydia even though it was already trademarked and in use? You might not be happy about it, but even if they were 'parking' the site to sell it, domain name auctioning is a legitimate business. No less so than, say, hacking a phone and affecting the business of its manufacturer. You want to make free software, for the people, for the noble cause of eliminating apple's restrictions (thanks a lot for the great software, by the way), but that doesn't mean you have the right to just waltz in and bypass someone's legitimate claim to property.

    ...does it?
    Last edited by clockworkengine; 08-24-2011 at 12:46 AM.

  10. #30
    Developer
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    109
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 323 Times in 67 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by clockworkengine View Post
    A commenter mentioned on pg 1 or 2 that the cydia.com domain has been registered to its current owner since 2002. I wish Saurik would comment on that. We can discuss trademark laws all day but if the commenter is correct, I'd say that makes trademark laws inconsequential in this case. Saurik, why do you feel entitled to the name if they've indeed owned it since before you ever heard of an iPhone? I don't think the jaylenoshow.com story applies here, since jay leno is a person's name while cydia is a word that's older than dirt. I grant you that people might be going to cydia.com by mistake, hoping to learn about your software, but isn't that ultimately because you decided to use the name cydia even though it was already trademarked and in use? You might not be happy about it, but even if they were 'parking' the site to sell it, domain name auctioning is a legitimate business. No less so than, say, hacking a phone and affecting the business of its manufacturer. You want to make free software, for the people, for the noble cause of eliminating apple's restrictions (thanks a lot for the great software, by the way), but that doesn't mean you have the right to just waltz in and bypass someone's legitimate claim to property.

    ...does it?
    I actually have commented on that numerous times: the issue at hand here is that the people who own this domain have decided to start using it in a way that is confusing, for a very similar purpose to my usage of the term.

    In this specific case, Cydia is a software distribution system for Apple platforms (such as the iPhone). cydia.com, which was originally a random "nothing" ad landing page, has slowly decided to become first a body of advertisements of software for Apple platforms, and then a forum for the discussion of software for Apple platforms.

    In practice, this forum was even further confusing, as /all/ of the people using it were users who believed they had found an official Cydia website, and were going to get useful support: I actually got users asking if they could be moderators on this site I don't own, I got reporters asking what I was doing with this site I don't own, and I got complaints from people who got bad advice from this site I don't work.

    Seriously, when I first started Cydia, I didn't care that I didn't have cydia.com: few people were going to be confused that the random website that was there was mine. When I contacted them later about getting the domain name, though, they started using it against me, seemingly in an attempt to extort me into some larger amount (not that they've given me any actual money-valued quotes I can respond to yet).

    The thing you have to realize here is that the general understanding of trademark laws that random Internet commenters have is simply false: somehow, the idea got out there that trademarking a term means you "own it", and "no one else can use it". This is simply not the case.

    In fact, multiple people can have a trademark on the same term: yes, multiple trademark registrations for the same word in the same database at the USPTO. The idea is that you cannot use the same name if it will cause confusion.

    That is the real goal of the trademark system: it is designed to keep people or companies from deceiving users or customers (whether on purpose, as I believe is the case here, but even if it is on accident).

    Therefore, if the people who owned this domain name had decided to use it to run a laundromat, they could totally do that, and there wouldn't even be any confusion: no one would expect users of Cydia who went to cydia.com and saw a website for a laundromat to seriously expect they had found the site they were looking for.

    However, in this case, this company simply registers domain names with no intended purpose for them (you claim "already in use": it was not; therefore, they certainly have no trademark, registered or unregistered), and then modified the website /in response to my complaints/ to be /more/ confusing over time.

    At first this was an attempt to monetize the site at my expense, and later it was a (failed) attempt to separate themselves from their previous infringement (as they realized that if I had filed a UDRP while they were running those advertisements I would have gotten immediate judgement).

    This company seriously just registers names, many of which are typo-squats of existing known brands, like wokia.com. According to domaintools.com, these people own over 37,000 domain names: I am serious here, *thirty-seven THOUSAND domain names*.

    These are simply not people who have some legit operation with a name they've been using for a while that I am trying to "take": these are people who just spam the domain name system attempting to prey on people who may later accidentally fall into their minefield.

  11. #31
    The Jack White of Photoshop Hosko817's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Wisco
    Posts
    952
    Thanks
    2,033
    Thanked 1,137 Times in 411 Posts

    As much as you guys may WANT to disagree with saurik, he is 100% correct. The law is the law. This is what I specifically do for a living. I spend my entire day finding such infringements for companies. If you own a business, which many of us do not, you HAVE to do everything in your power to make that business successful. Otherwise you end up like the rust of us, working for the man

  12. #32
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Dranon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sacandaga Lake
    Posts
    156
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    I recall a lawsuit from Apple records (the Beatles label) suing Apple (the computer company) when they got into music/itunes. Apple records defending their trademark because now there would be possible confusion between Apple records and Apple music/itunes. Anybody know what happened with that?? Similar type of case!

  13. #33
    Livin the i raduga's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,621
    Thanks
    224
    Thanked 91 Times in 83 Posts

    Edit:
    meh.

    posted in the wrong thread (the article's front-age thread)
    so moot point.
    Last edited by raduga; 08-24-2011 at 09:51 AM.

  14. #34
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Still stand by my original comment. Sue them to stop confusion, change the web site focus. You have no right to sue them to take something that they own.

  15. #35
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by hbdragon88 View Post
    LOL. If you register a mark and don't use it or stop using it, you can lose it. This case illustrates it well: This guy registered the domain name thejaylenoshow.com years before the actual show came out, but the courts ruled in Jay Leno's favor when he filed suit to take over it. Right to Publicity link
    Yes and an Apple is a fruit that once fell on Newton's head. If you had a site selling apples, and switched to electronic products when Apple became established guess what would happen. Saurik has exhausted other avenues, this is the next step.

  16. #36
    Livin the iPhone Life KraXik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Winchester, UK
    Posts
    2,605
    Thanks
    2,654
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 884 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by oss001 View Post
    Yes and an Apple is a fruit that once fell on Newton's head. If you had a site selling apples, and switched to electronic products when Apple became established guess what would happen. Saurik has exhausted other avenues, this is the next step.
    Have you just ignored all the above posts? Try and post something that's slightly relevant and makes sense.

    Troll much?

  17. #37
    iPhoneaholic tekwiz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    302
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 28 Times in 17 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by nerddownthestreet View Post
    Cydia is a latin work. Lamest lawsuit ever
    More like lamest post/reasoning/not understanding the ramifications.

    Quote Originally Posted by MuddyPaws View Post
    Still stand by my original comment. Sue them to stop confusion, change the web site focus. You have no right to sue them to take something that they own.

    Except that he does and you thinking he doesn't just reinforces that you don't know the law you are commenting about. After working 10+ years in a law office I still get laughs from people who don't "feel" something should be the way it is. Can't help them or you, know the law whether you agree or not, then comment on it.
    Last edited by tekwiz; 08-24-2011 at 01:28 PM.

  18. #38
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by tekwiz View Post
    More like lamest post/reasoning/not understanding the ramifications.




    Except that he does and you thinking he doesn't just reinforces that you don't know the law you are commenting about. After working 10+ years in a law office I still get laughs from people who don't "feel" something should be the way it is. Can't help them or you, know the law whether you agree or not, then comment on it.
    Do know the law. I think you need to do a little more research. Cydia the software was established well after the registration of the domain. It's different than the Jay Leno case. Far different. I have been through a couple trademark cases myself in my ventures.

  19. #39
    The Jack White of Photoshop Hosko817's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Wisco
    Posts
    952
    Thanks
    2,033
    Thanked 1,137 Times in 411 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by MuddyPaws View Post
    Do know the law. I think you need to do a little more research. Cydia the software was established well after the registration of the domain. It's different than the Jay Leno case. Far different. I have been through a couple trademark cases myself in my ventures.
    here is a nice little website that you can educate yourself with about the history of Cydia.com

    Internet Archive Wayback Machine

    These people do this for a living, registering domains by the thousands (37,057 to be exact), and there are many out there like them. If you use the internet for more then 5 min you will no doubt run into at least 1. They serve no purpose, they are simply a lottery ticket for the d-bags who do this. If you want to waste A LOT more time getting relevent results when you use google, by all means, support Cykon Technology Limited. As for the rest of us who understand the problem, we hope Jay wins this suit. Its not a David vs. Goliath type of thing. Domain squatters add nothing of value to the internet, only clutter, confusion, and brand dilution.

  20. #40
    iPhoneaholic bigliquid530's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    332
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    I Thought if they bought the domain name they own it, isn't it that simple, so in turn if someone wants it they should have to pay for it regardless of the price they put on it(Not trying to be a smart azz just wondering isn't that how it goes).....
    Last edited by bigliquid530; 08-24-2011 at 09:15 PM.

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts