+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: HTC Goes on the Offensive Sues Apple Over Everything

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
HTC brought out the big guns with their latest patent suit against Apple, suing the Cupertino company for infringing HTC's new mobile platform: everything. HTC, much like Apple did with
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default HTC Goes on the Offensive Sues Apple Over Everything

HTC brought out the big guns with their latest patent suit against Apple, suing the Cupertino company for infringing HTC's new mobile platform: everything.

HTC, much like Apple did with Samsung and the Galaxy Tab, wants an injunction, except the injunction covers nearly the entire gamut of Apple Devices. The suit filed in the U.S. District Court in Delaware accuses Apple of infringing on HTC patents by producing "Accused Apple Products." These products include laptops, portable music players, phones, tablets, the air Steve Jobs breathes, and just about everything else Apple has or will ever have a hand in.

Only one of the three patents mentioned in the suit, #7,765,414, was actually filed by HTC themselves. The other two were acquired with the purchase of ADC Telecommunications patent portfolio last year. These patents, #7,672,219 and #7,417,944, apparently are broad enough for HTC to try and stop Apple from selling anything.

HTC isn't only asking for an injunction banning the sale of all things Apple, they're seeking compensatory damages as well as enhanced damages to the tune of triple the amount of the compensatory damages. Don't expect the suit to amount to much, and even if somehow HTC did win, Apple could purchase HTC a few times over with their cash horde.

It appears the patent war is reaching an apex of boisterous, albeit futile, lawsuits. Every major mobile computing manufacturer has turned into that guy at the gym who grunts and breathes louder warming up than anyone else does while they work out. For him it may be necessary, for everyone else this is getting annoying.

Source: TechCrunch
    Last edited by Phillip Swanson; 08-18-2011 at 09:28 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone sammo123's Avatar
    Thanks

This will lead to nothing. HTC can try to get back at Apple but lets be honest Apples products are not going to get banned. There would be an uprising of Apple users if it ever did happen and I would say things wouldn't get pretty.

Thanks

If HTC win enough from Apple then maybe they could buy Apple out....

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

HTC = Hater Tech Creeps.

iPhone? More like MyPhone fbiryujin's Avatar
    Thanks

"Let's sue them to stop them from selling every product they make, including ones that don't compete with out products." I may have disagreed with Apple's choice to sue to stop products from being sold, but this is going even farther than that. I am now boycotting the sue happy HTC.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

How can you cry like a baby about apple suing others and then turn around and do the same thing? Suck it up, pay apple what is due or not if nothing was infringed upon and move on about your lives. I liked HTC phones over any other android phone but now I despise the company for acting so childish.

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sammo123 View Post
    This will lead to nothing. HTC can try to get back at Apple but lets be honest Apples products are not going to get banned. There would be an uprising of Apple users if it ever did happen and I would say things wouldn't get pretty.
    Ha ya can u imagine?! There would be riots in the streets! Buildings burning! People looting! Civil unrest! Ya....would not go over well
    El Zurdo

Green Apple
    Thanks
    LOL @ a taiwanese company suing an american company. this should be considered.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Swanson View Post
    Don't expect the suit to amount to much, and even if somehow HTC did win, Apple could purchase HTC a few times over with their cash horde.
    That's okay. I don't expect Apple's lawsuit against HTC to amount to much either. And Apple's "cash horde" has nothing to do with the subject at hand. The fact that Apple could purchase HTC many times over is irrelevant considering Apple would take a massive blow if their products were banned here....and HTC would have to allow Apple to purchase them....something I'm betting they wouldn't do if Apple products were non-existent.

Funny how the same people that praise Apple for trying to get HTC banned criticize and call HTC "haters" for essentially doing the exact same thing back to Apple.

I don't think HTC would bother with a major lawsuit against a major American company if they didn't at least think they had a decent leg to stand on.
    Last edited by RICO_; 08-18-2011 at 10:18 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    well ****, apple was sueing HTC just throwing some random patents hoping some would work. this is the exact same thing.

Thanks

kiss and make up...they are both waisting money and time

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
    I don't think HTC would bother with a major lawsuit against a major American company if they didn't at least think they had a decent leg to stand on.
    Interesting. I don't think I heard you say anything like that when the shoe was on the other foot. Where's the outrage? The hyperbole? I thought you were an equal opportunity hater? So, it IS just Apple after all. Good to know.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
    ....and HTC would have to allow Apple to purchase them....something I'm betting they wouldn't do if Apple products were non-existent.
    HTC wouldn't have to allow anything. Apple could take them over in one fell swoop.
    It's called a hostile takeover.

Thanks

I would be pissed if I were an HTC shareholder, using funds for this BS suit.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I think what HTC is really trying to do here is force Apple to make a deal to stop all of the lawsuits, a patent trade if you will.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I believe competition is heathy for any market. In my honest opinion, I believe Apple had significant merit to bring about their suit(s) of patent and copyright infringement. As much as we hate Apple's dominancy, you have to admit, Apple created it's own ideas and platform for their mobile operating system (iOS) that revolutionized the mobile world. You would be an idiot to not think HTC (not to mention a few "others") took ideas and GUI looks that Apple already incorporated in their mobile platform (iPhone). Do your homework, its not that hard to notice. I would have to agree with Jobs, competition is great, but be creative and innovative and create your own ideas.Enough is enough.

HTC, Google, Samsung, Motorola, LG all have Android phones that are heavily influenced by the iPhone. However, give credit to where credit is due. If it wasn't for the iPhone, half of these shi**y phones would not be in existence or have any relevance. Apple created a dominant product that has murdered competition in the mobile market world and it is not okay to bite the hand that feeds you. "Hello Moto"...yeah right..."Goodbye Moto". It amazes me how similar Android phone menus (the green "Phone" icon, 4 Panel Swipe Menu, Applications (App Store vs. Market) are to the iPhone. How dare you criticize the creators (Apple) of the device (iPhone/iPad/iPod) you (HTC) based your own product on. Sounds like someone is biting the hand that feeds them.

Sorry people...Apple just fu*king works too well for its own fu*king good.
    Last edited by Raymel; 08-18-2011 at 01:13 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

You go HTC!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Raymel View Post
    I believe competition is heathy for any market. In my honest opinion, I believe Apple had significant merit to bring about their suit(s) of patent and copyright infringement. As much as we hate Apple's dominancy, you have to admit, Apple created it's own ideas and platform for their mobile operating system (iOS) that revolutionized the mobile world. You would be an idiot to not think HTC (not to mention a few "others") took ideas and GUI looks that Apple already incorporated in their mobile platform (iPhone). Do your homework, its not that hard to notice. I would have to agree with Jobs, competition is great, but be creative and innovative and create your own ideas.Enough is enough.

HTC, Google, Samsung, Motorola, LG all have Android phones that are heavily influenced by the iPhone. However, give credit to where credit is due. If it wasn't for the iPhone, half of these shi**y phones would not be in existence or have any relevance. Apple created a dominant product that has murdered competition in the mobile market world and it is not okay to bite the hand that feeds you. "Hello Moto"...yeah right..."Goodbye Moto". It amazes me how similar Android phone menus (the green "Phone" icon, 4 Panel Swipe Menu, Applications (App Store vs. Market) are to the iPhone. How dare you criticize the creators (Apple) of the device (iPhone/iPad/iPod) you (HTC) based your own product on. Sounds like someone is biting the hand that feeds them.

Sorry people...Apple just fu*king works too well for its own fu*king good.
    On the same note. Does anyone recall what the biggest baddest smartphone was prior to the iPhone? It was HTC's tilt. Which ran an incredibly clunky GUI, there were a few 3rd party apps which were very difficult to install and even buggier than the windows OS itself. The Internet was amazing for the time but horribly slow compared to today's standards which wouldnt be where it is if not for the iPhones popularity. Would we have mobile sites now? Possibly but iPhone users demanded it and apple delivered.
    Thank you apple for the iPhone. Which by the way no carrier would pick up because "who in their right mind would spend that much for a phone." -thank you AT&T.
    Apple implemented a touch screen and GUI that was extremely easy to navigate and use, and required no stylist.

Let's just face the facts. No mobile device would be what it is today if not for apple.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Pathetic....all these companies, including Apple. Just stop wasting money on this **** and put it into development.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cuzz501 View Post
    Apple implemented a touch screen and GUI that was extremely easy to navigate and use, and required no stylist.
    Stylus, not stylist.