Results 1 to 17 of 17

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Apple Denies Social Media Integration Followed Today's Online Store Downtime

  1. #1
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Valparaiso, Indiana
    Posts
    3,779
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

    Default Apple Denies Social Media Integration Followed Today's Online Store Downtime


    Despite earlier reports from around the web that Apple's online store began featuring new social media integration tools following this morning's inexplicable site outage, Apple is now officially denying that the social media functions were launched today.

    On Wednesday morning, it was first reported that the Apple Online Store had begun allowing users to share webpages of products through social media platforms like Twitter and Facebook. The new feature is somewhat prominent, for example, on the Mac Pro page.

    Apple appears to be experimenting with adding social media functions inside the store. Go to the product selection pages for the Mac Pro or the iPod Classic (two of Apple's least popular products, by the way), and there's an option to share that product configuration on Facebook or Twitter.
    But with no obvious new products or services unveiled with the site upon its return to life, it appears that some folks were simply looking too hard for noticeable changes following today's brief site outage. Apple tells CNBC Wednesday afternoon that the social links "were live before this morning's downtime, and were not the reason for the store's downtime."

    So what was the reason for the downtime, you ask? As far as anyone can presently tell... the reason for the downtime remains a mystery (although general repairs, back-end tweaks are the most likely reasons).

    Source: CNBC

  2. #2
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Moreno Valley, California, United States
    Posts
    179
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 12 Times in 9 Posts

    So....what is the news exactly here? Their site went down...and we don't know why. That's not news. C'mon guys-if you're going to report, report NEWS! LOL

  3. #3
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,117
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 95 Times in 67 Posts

    Next...........

  4. #4
    It seems that they do have Social Media Integration..
    Mac Pro - Buy Mac Pro desktop computers - Apple Store for Business (U.S.)
    If you click on the arrow next to "Select" it allows you to share via twitter or Facebook.

  5. #5
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Arlington, TX
    Posts
    144
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by plnkeye21 View Post
    so....what is the news exactly here? Their site went down...and we don't know why. That's not news. C'mon guys-if you're going to report, report news! Lol
    lol

  6. #6
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    1,441
    Thanks
    41
    Thanked 185 Times in 145 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by plnkeye21 View Post
    So....what is the news exactly here? Their site went down...and we don't know why. That's not news. C'mon guys-if you're going to report, report NEWS! LOL
    Unfortunately every time the Apple store goes down, or shows the "Back Soon" page, some people act as if it will herald the second coming of Jesus.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    Unfortunately every time the Apple store goes down, or shows the "Back Soon" page, some people act as if it will herald the second coming of Jesus.
    "Second coming of jesus" gigity

  8. #8
    It's been a terribly slow news day here on ModMyi so I think they are just writing about anything!

  9. #9
    I pretty sure it would be the coming of iJesus...

  10. #10
    Starbucks Artist mmaboi21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Bakersfield CA.
    Posts
    2,405
    Thanks
    163
    Thanked 207 Times in 160 Posts

    If you really don't care for the news don't respond...it's that simple.

    If i wanted to look at the apple website and it was down, out of curiosity i would want to know what the deal is.
    This news answers that question, they are obviously doing something because that's the only time the web is down.

  11. #11
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Wilmington, DE
    Posts
    22
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by prestonljensen View Post
    It seems that they do have Social Media Integration..
    Mac Pro - Buy Mac Pro desktop computers - Apple Store for Business (U.S.)
    If you click on the arrow next to "Select" it allows you to share via twitter or Facebook.
    You obviously didn't read the article.. They're not saying there's no social media integration, they're saying that wasn't the cause of the downtime. The social media integration was there before the downtime.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by mmaboi21 View Post
    If you really don't care for the news don't respond...it's that simple.

    If i wanted to look at the apple website and it was down, out of curiosity i would want to know what the deal is.
    This news answers that question, they are obviously doing something because that's the only time the web is down.
    +1

  13. #13
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,117
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 95 Times in 67 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by mmaboi21 View Post
    This news answers that question, they are obviously doing something because that's the only time the web is down.
    Actually this news does NOT answer that question. It is still unknown what caused it and telling us what DIDN'T cause it is pointless.....we don't need a news article every time the store goes down. It's pretty obvious that it's down for a reason and we don't need to read it on here to figure that out. Websites, online stores, and even Internet forums routinely go down from time to time. This is just another routine "downage" of another online store.....nothing more.

    The best thing to do would have been to wait until the facts and causes ARE in place and then if it's anything significant...post the story.
    Last edited by RICO_; 08-17-2011 at 08:58 PM.

  14. #14
    Starbucks Artist mmaboi21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Bakersfield CA.
    Posts
    2,405
    Thanks
    163
    Thanked 207 Times in 160 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
    Actually this news does NOT answer that question. It is still unknown what caused it and telling us what DIDN'T cause it is pointless.....we don't need a news article every time the store goes down. It's pretty obvious that it's down for a reason and we don't need to read it on here to figure that out. Websites, online stores, and even Internet forums routinely go down from time to time. This is just another routine "downage" of another online store.....nothing more.

    The best thing to do would have been to wait until the facts and causes ARE in place and then if it's anything significant...post the story.
    Apologies, I was leaning towards evening out curiosity as to why the store was down. As far as the news article goes, it's still news and I for one enjoy reading them regardless if it's interesting or not(kills time). Yes of course obvious but the article isn't going to kill us.
    Users on modmyi are not critics so we need to stop acting like one. Goes to show you that their are obviously more pessimistic people on this site than optimistic.

  15. #15
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,117
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 95 Times in 67 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by mmaboi21 View Post
    Users on modmyi are not critics so we need to stop acting like one. Goes to show you that their are obviously more pessimistic people on this site than optimistic.
    We are not critics? I disagree......we most certainly ARE critics and have every right to be. We very frequently criticize products and apps that are released or announced....whether it's good criticism or bad criticism. And we criticize and give our opinions (good and bad) on the actions that take place regarding Apple, other companies, lawsuits, patents, new iOS features, and new product features or releases. So we are critics, but that's a good thing.....imo it helps people make a more accurate decision on whether or not they should purchase the product.

    And I honestly think there are way more optimistic people on this site than pessimistic ones. Way more people that think every little thing Apple does is the best thing since sliced bread and Cheez Wiz....which sometimes is the case....but often times it is not.

    Me personally, I'm stuck somewhere in the middle of optimism and pessimism. After the way Apple somewhat fouled up the iPhone 4, I have high hopes that they will build a much better device this year.....but it wouldn't surprise me if they kept the same overall concept.

  16. #16
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,023
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 78 Times in 63 Posts

    This just in..... sun came up this morning..... will it go down tonight?! Stay tuned.

  17. #17
    Starbucks Artist mmaboi21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Bakersfield CA.
    Posts
    2,405
    Thanks
    163
    Thanked 207 Times in 160 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
    We are not critics? I disagree......we most certainly ARE critics and have every right to be. We very frequently criticize products and apps that are released or announced....whether it's good criticism or bad criticism. And we criticize and give our opinions (good and bad) on the actions that take place regarding Apple, other companies, lawsuits, patents, new iOS features, and new product features or releases. So we are critics, but that's a good thing.....imo it helps people make a more accurate decision on whether or not they should purchase the product.

    And I honestly think there are way more optimistic people on this site than pessimistic ones. Way more people that think every little thing Apple does is the best thing since sliced bread and Cheez Wiz....which sometimes is the case....but often times it is not.

    Me personally, I'm stuck somewhere in the middle of optimism and pessimism. After the way Apple somewhat fouled up the iPhone 4, I have high hopes that they will build a much better device this year.....but it wouldn't surprise me if they kept the same overall concept.
    Products and apps yes, news on modmyi, not necessarily the case. It's one thing to post your opinion and it's another to post complains. As much as the news annoys users, it annoys me about the same for people to complain about the news. I totally agree with you about being a critic for apps, games, products, services, etc; it does help push developing a better anything that was just listed. Like I said though it's one thing to be a critic and post your opinion but it's not the case when people complain about news here at modmyi.

    I am also very optimistic.

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •