+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Prototype MacBook Pro Equipped with 3G Cellular Modem Discovered on eBay

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer
    Thanks

Default Prototype MacBook Pro Equipped with 3G Cellular Modem Discovered on eBay

It’s not too unusual to find an unreleased Apple prototype on eBay now and again, but recently a MacBook Pro was put up for sale with one unique feature, an integrated 3G cellular modem. A few years ago, Apple was rumored to be working on a 3G capable MacBook, but it was never released. It now seems evident that Apple has, at the very least, looked into the possibility of a producing a 3G equipped MacBook Pro.

According to the seller, “This auction is for a particularly unique and interesting piece of Apple hardware: an unreleased pre-production prototype of the 2007 15" MacBook Pro Santa Rosa laptop with red circuit boards and integrated cellular data functionality. It is to my knowledge one of a kind, I have been unable to find information about any other similar machines in existence.”

Back in 2008, Steve Jobs reportedly said the main reason Apple laptops do not include a 3G cellular modem was because they did not want to restrict consumers to a particular carrier. Customers can always use a USB modem if they want to. This particular MacBook Pro prototype uses a Dynastream ANT2USB card that can, in theory, connect to a GSM network such as AT&T.

In regards to cellular wireless features the seller clearly states, “I have unfortunately been unable to get it working with my SIM card, though it is seen by the operating system and recognized as a modem device usable to connect to the internet with various configuration options. It is entirely possible it can be made to work by someone with more software and driver experience than myself but I can make no guarantees. It could be that there was an additional board originally that was not included with this machine, or that Apple could not work out a contract with a carrier for data service (Perhaps AT&T did not want something sure to be a bandwidth hog on its network), or simply that no driver exists.”

At this point, it seems unlikely that Apple will ever include a 3G or 4G cellular data modem in a MacBook. The iPhone can now be tethered to a laptop if you pay for the privilege. There is no real reason for Apple to go to the trouble of developing a 3G MacBook at this time. It would have been nice it they had though.

The bidding for this rare bit of Apple history is currently up to $10,000.99, at the time of this writing. Better hurry, or it’ll be gone forever.

Source: eBay

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Clearly not 1 of a kind if it says Proto #1 of 006. Very cool nevertheless!

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

oh nice

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Well, it certainly is hideous. This seems like a concept from when wifi first started rolling out.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

30,000 now lol It's one expensive old macbook.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Slingshot377 View Post
    Clearly not 1 of a kind if it says Proto #1 of 006. Very cool nevertheless!
    have you seen the other 6? if not this is one of a kind for you and the rest of us.

Livin the iPhone Life R.Mortera's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    Well, it certainly is hideous. This seems like a concept from when wifi first started rolling out.
    Gonna have to agree /:

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Whoever pay's over $30k for this is stupid but whoever modded a retail MBP and is going to get at least $30k off some poor shmuck is a genius.

Thanks

Nice piece of history, i would love to have it. I couldn't justify dropping 30,000 grand for it though.

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mmaboi21 View Post
    Nice piece of history, i would love to have it. I couldn't justify dropping 30,000 grand for it though.
    True and then there's the fact that that computer is the 2006-2008 model who even knows what peocessor it has in it ranging from core duo to core 2 duo

Thanks
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 1,075 Posts

Well theres about 100 bids right now lol

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

When I saw it, it was $11,500.00 10:00am now it is $30,201.00 my God. My grandpa is older and he don't cost that much...
    Last edited by javiert30; 08-15-2011 at 01:00 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone syedsufyan's Avatar
    Thanks
    $70,000!

Thanks

Removed now, why? I'm pretty sure Apple have something to be with this...
    Last edited by javiert30; 08-15-2011 at 01:30 PM.
    Drive Safe with Trapster
    Speedtrap App

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

at 3:25 pm EST it was up to $70,000.00. I hit refresh and it says the auction has been deleted.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kendall213 View Post
    at 3:25 pm EST it was up to $70,000.00. I hit refresh and it says the auction has been deleted.
    Pretty sure Apple have something to be... you know, if they don't make money behind this, you either... or maybe somebody offered him $70K if he close the auction and sell it to him, in that way he can evade eBay sale fees, it is illegal but can be possible. $70k - 9% for ebay = $6,300.00 for eBay, anyway he still earning a good chunk of money $63,700.00. Just guessing
    Last edited by javiert30; 08-15-2011 at 01:50 PM.
    Drive Safe with Trapster
    Speedtrap App

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by javiert30 View Post
    When I saw it, it was $11,500.00 10:00am now it is $30,201.00 my God. My grandpa is older and he don't cost that much...
    I loved this.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by javiert30 View Post
    Pretty sure Apple have something to be... you know, if they don't make money behind this, you either... or maybe somebody offered him $70K if he close the auction and sell it to him, in that way he can evade eBay sale fees, it is illegal but can be possible. $70k - 9% for ebay = $6,300.00 for eBay, anyway he still earning a good chunk of money $63,700.00. Just guessing
    That's retarded...In a few hours it went from 10K to 70K. With more then 3 days left in the auction you actually think he would close it?

Anyway, I call this whole thing BS. I'm pretty sure those were joke bids. Who actually thinks someone is going to pay 70K for a 4 year old laptop with a sim card slot that doesn't even work...Get a rocket mobile stick...it does the same thing.

Thanks

Might be wise to check and make sure Apple isn't reporting this as stolen property. After the Engadget/iPhone 4 prototype debacle, caveat emptor x10!
    Last edited by Kupe; 08-17-2011 at 10:22 AM.