Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Are Top Nintendo Games for iOS Inevitable?

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,481 Times in 567 Posts

Default Are Top Nintendo Games for iOS Inevitable?

Pressure is mounting for Nintendo to bring a plethora of its most legendary and popular titles to the rival mobile gaming platform that Apple's iOS has become. As chronicled in great detail by Bloomberg on Thursday morning, investors are possessed of the mindset that Nintendo must now do what is "good for business" and expand deep into iPhone and iPad territory.

In “Super Mario 3DLand,” Nintendo Co. will make its iconic Italian plumber battle turtle-like Koopa Troopas on its 3-D player. The company instead should develop titles for Apple Inc. (AAPL)’s iPhone, investors say.
    Investors and analysts alike are increasing pressure on Nintendo to branch out and take their titles to a place few would ever expect them to turn up. “Smartphones are the new battlefield for the gaming industry,” Masamitsu Ohki, a fund manager at Stats Investment Management Co., tells Bloomberg. “Nintendo should try to either buy its way into this platform or develop something totally new.”

Sources close to Nintendo President Satoru Iwata say that the company is frustrated and confounded by the reality that consumers continue to "shun Nintendo devices" in order to more routinely and actively engage games on iPhones, iPads and even on Facebook.

And Nintendo is bleeding cash as a result of its failure to compete with smartphones and social networks. "The flop of the 3DS debut prompted the company to cut prices 40 percent in Japan and 32 percent in the U.S., the first time the games developer has resorted to such a move within six months of a product’s debut," the Bloomberg

Source: Bloomberg

Nintendo would make so much money off games on iOS. I personally would love to play Mario on my iPhone and would probably buy every game that came out on the iPhone or iPad

I want excite bike for my phone

Quote Originally Posted by starkall View Post
    I want excite bike for my phone
    Can't you just get the emulator?

Quote Originally Posted by fatalcrixer View Post
    Can't you just get the emulator?
    N64 emulator on iPhone 4 doesn't work.
    iPhone 4 Verizon

Untethered jailbroken w/ Sn0wbreeze

playing mario kart with my friends through the iPhone's wifi or bluetooth, one can only hope

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

Sweet. Tired of using emulators. Can't wait for games to be touchscreen ready and all

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Playing games that require a virtual controller are worthless IMO. My fingers don't stay in exactly the right spot so control sucks... it's frustrating.. and the virtual controls are never as accurate.

I could see simpler games like Mario being a huge success, but I don't think things like Pokemon would work
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Wireless SNES controller with Super Mario World on the iPad would be mega!

A more official version of this Bluetooth SNES Controller for Android: Gamers, Start Up Your Emulators - Technabob

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
    I could see simpler games like Mario being a huge success, but I don't think things like Pokemon would work
    please explain this statement.

Thanks

Zelda!I Want Zelda!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Nintendo would make money having their games on iOS.

Will they ever bring their games to iOS? Will Apple bring Mac OS X to PCs? Or iOS to other Phones? No no and no.

Anywho, 99% of the games are too complex. You would need physical buttons , NOT touch buttons.

And Nintendo, at the moment, are not in the huge trouble people make it to be. The have been basically printing money for the last 6 years, and they had one quarter with a loss.
    If Apple had one quarter with loss today after the years of prosperity behind them, would people say it's time for them to pack it in?
    Last edited by feidhlim1986; 08-11-2011 at 02:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    Nintendo would make money having their games on iOS.

Will they ever bring their games to iOS? Will Apple bring Mac OS X to PCs? Or iOS to other Phones? No no and no.

Anywho, 99% of the games are too complex. You would need physical buttons , NOT touch buttons.

And Nintendo, at the moment, are not in the huge trouble people make it to be. The have been basically printing money for the last 6 years, and they had one quarter with a loss.
    If Apple had one quarter with loss today after the years of prosperity behind them, would people say it's time for them to pack it in?
    What happened to Sega? Same thing. Dreamcast games were easy to burn and no one bought games, in turn, the system failed. Sega had to switch to making games for other consoles and went out of the console world. That is exactly whats happening with Nintendo. Would I like to see Goldeneye 64 on the iphone? Heck yes.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by energiesource View Post
    What happened to Sega? Same thing. Dreamcast games were easy to burn and no one bought games, in turn, the system failed. Sega had to switch to making games for other consoles and went out of the console world. That is exactly whats happening with Nintendo. Would I like to see Goldeneye 64 on the iphone? Heck yes.
    Sega had a string of under selling hardware, software and continuous losses. Nintendo are just finishing up with the best selling handheld of all time, the best selling console of all time, and pretty much the entire top 10 best selling software this generation. They are no where near what Sega was like.

Yes the party is over with the DS and Wii, but they have a crap ton of money in the bank too. You'll see Nintendo games on a iOS when you see iOS on a Samsung phone.

Good luck playing Goldeneye on your iPhone, it's gonna control AWESOME!

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't think Nintendo wants to lower their prices to $.99-5 per game (the price range of the vast majority of games on iOS). If they wanted to do that, they'd do that on their current games on their current handhelds.

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    I don't think Nintendo wants to lower their prices to $.99-5 per game (the price range of the vast majority of games on iOS). If they wanted to do that, they'd do that on their current games on their current handhelds.
    If Nintendo does end up porting and making games for the App Store, they would probably end up costing $7 and up, following in the footsteps of companies like Square Enix with their games going for $15 on the App Store and with Sega going for $7 and up.

Anyway, if they do end up making games for the iPhone, Nintendo won't die or lose its name, the 3DS still has better graphics than iOS, not to mention the 3D. Also the upcoming Wii U looks amazing and is sure to impress.

This rumor actually excites me because although i have a 3DS, sometimes i don't need the 3D (and crappy battery life) and just want a small device to play a quick nintendo game on.

The Wii U looks like a good gadget.

formerly known as Method2001 TheGrandFinale2001's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chrisangel13 View Post
    playing mario kart with my friends through the iPhone's wifi or bluetooth, one can only hope
    I can see this making a killing. This would be the one I would be looking for. Maybe Duckhunt. And if they could make Smash Bros. online work I would get that too.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrandFinale2001 View Post
    I can see this making a killing. This would be the one I would be looking for. Maybe Duckhunt. And if they could make Smash Bros. online work I would get that too.
    Mario Kart

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast