+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Gets Samsung Galaxy Tab Blocked in Most of the European Union

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default Apple Gets Samsung Galaxy Tab Blocked in Most of the European Union

In what can only be regarded as a major victory for Apple on the world stage, German news agency DPA is reporting that Apple has been granted a preliminary injunction against Samsung's Android-based Galaxy Tab 10.1. As a result, the tablet is effectively barred from distribution across all of the European Union, sans the Netherlands (for now, at least).

In light of Apple's allegations that the Galaxy Tab is a blatant iPad rip-off that subsequently violates Apple's intellectual property, the legal eagles in Cupertino went to Europe with their calls for Samsung to play fair or pay the price.

Apple asked the Landgericht (district court) of Düsseldorf, Germany, to order an injunction under which Samsung is threatened with fines of up to EUR 250,000 (US$ 350,000) for each violation or imprisonment of Samsung's management in the event of continued infringement. Those are standard sanctions under German tort law for contempt of a preliminary injunction.
    In addition to Apple's successful legal power play in the European Union, the company is also said to be seeking a comparable preliminary injunction in Australia. Although Apple is yet to win that one, Samsung is being proactive about the matter and, at least for the time being, postponing the launch of the Galaxy Tab 10.1 in Australia with no estimated future date for launch given.

Source: Business Insider

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Their screen is bigger and doesn't run iOS..... this is BS in my opinion.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boxxa View Post
    their device is thinner, lighter and does things that the iPad line could never do. apple cannot compete with Android so their response is to sue.

this is a very bad day for consumers, very very bad. if apple gets their way, we wont be able to buy a smart phone or tablet unless its from apple.

apple fan boys will love this, they really dont understand that when companies compete, we win.

My iPhone is a Part of Me GrandMstrBud's Avatar
    Thanks

Complete BS, if you can't beat them then sue them.

dsg
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,075 Times in 799 Posts

I'm sick of the big company's bickering like little children and robbing us consumers of product choice

Green Apple
    Thanks

I'm a self proclaimed iFanboi but all this suing, patent hoarding, and supply buyouts make Apple look like real a holes to me. Not quite like Sony, but we may get there someday soon.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Go Gators's Avatar
    Thanks

Samsung made a faster, thinner and all around superior tablet and since Apple can't compete they have unleashed their blood sucking lawyers. Now you have idiotic Apple fanboy judges actually letting Apple get away with this BS! Unfortunately, we as the consumers are the ones that will suffer because of Apple's arrogance. Anyone that was looking forward to buying a Galaxy Tab is now screwed because of this crap.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Samsung should give away x number of free tabs.... by x I mean 10's of thousands. I know this would be expensive but sometimes its worth just sticking it to the man aka apple.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

And people here wonder why I hate on Apple so much. Crap like THIS is your answer.

And of course some mindless tool will come in here with the "don't hate the player, hate the game" blast.

Apple's new motto - "Leading the way through litigation over innovation."
    Last edited by RICO_; 08-09-2011 at 01:50 PM.

Thanks

I'm embarrassed to have products from these Mod sez: Really? called apple.
    Last edited by Orby; 08-09-2011 at 06:09 PM. Reason: no need for anti-Semitic remarks

iPhone? More like MyPhone hapishyguy's Avatar
    Thanks

This is not a fair game. Apple is just being bullish. I dont doubt that Apple would use its influence and money to get these sanctions. They cant think of new ideas and this in desperate moves trying to ban android operating system. Google, microsoft, what are you guys waiting for. Jump on it and kill the bullish apple's market.
    I still admire Bill Gates and google for their hard work that they built the empire from ground with the integrity and not like Apple (Steve Jobs). Apple had pure luck. Pure luck I say!

Dang with the iPad 2 I have. The back camera dont work and its a hardware issue and everyone knows that but apple just dont give a damn about it. Who suffers? Consumers like you and me.
    Last edited by hapishyguy; 08-09-2011 at 02:49 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I'm think I'm a pretty stereotypical Apple fanboy, and yet I see how this obviously sucks for everyone. Innovation is good for us all. This truly blows.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkme93 View Post
    I'm embarrassed to have products from these ... called apple.
    No, your mother should be embarrassed to have a child that uses slurs like that. Shameful.
    Last edited by Orby; 08-09-2011 at 06:10 PM. Reason: cleaning up quote

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    i dont get it. how is apple jews for these lawsuits? ah no, i dont want to know, i dont want to have the same idiocy as that guy.

and i dont get the lawsuit either. ive seen alot about the galaxy tap and i dont see any resemblance to the ipad other then its a ******* tablet. if their betting the farm based on "its a tablet like the ipad" then the guy up there in the comments should change "jew" to "****"
    Last edited by BlackRaider; 08-09-2011 at 03:23 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I can't see any resemblance to an iPad. Not one.

/s

Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 unboxing and hands-on - Engadget Galleries

Everyone knows how (rightly or wrongly) ferocious Apple's lawyers are. Samsung should have seen it coming.

I'm an iFanboy, but I do think that Apple are far too 'sue happy', then again Samsung did ask for it with a design like that.

Green Apple
    Thanks

It's a sad day to realize how far we've come as seen in cases against many other types of industries...the scales of justice are balanced by the bigger piles of money.

The Galaxy tab doesn't look like an iPad. It doesn't run like an iPad. I was just in a store the other day talking about this with my girlfriend. It's pathetic on Apple's part, and shows how truly threatened they are by competition. They had/have their run as top dogs and feel themselves losing their grip to another company...so they sue them and use that massive pile of money they have to back themselves up.

My girlfriend and I both have an iPhone 4 and a Samsung Captivate (yes, we're geeks). Although we feel the Samsung to be a superior communication device, and the iPhone to be a better video camera/toy, we enjoy having and using both. I fear for the day when choice is gone and Apple has us in that walled garden they used to proclaim rebelling against in their early commercials.

Thanks

I see alot of apple bashing on this post and just wondering if anyone really knows what the lawsuit was about? Maybe it's about the galaxy internals not about the resemblance of one another! And the guy bashing Jews should be ashamed for posting hate material on a tech post.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boxxa View Post
    I agree 100% , this is a Bad day for Apple they don´t know what´s mean competitor, this is the way for us to get better and better products - c o m p e t i t i o n, without this there is no business.
    Sad Day....

jrrtps
    Live Wire

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkme93 View Post
    Mod Edit: Removed
    If I knew how to report you I would. בן זונה

Mod Edit: Do not insult other members
    The report button can be found under every post (triangle with an exclamation mark in it).
    Last edited by Simon; 08-10-2011 at 07:17 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Italia411's Avatar
    Thanks

Wow I feel like I'm in a kindergarten class with all this whining..I don't think you should be on this site if you don't like apple. This site is modmyi not modmysami. Why don't you take the complaints to a samsung board cause if I was apple I would sue too! The galaxy series is a blatant knock off of springboard which took apple years to innovate. It's not fair that another company (as much as I like samsung tvs their phones are trash) to take a idea from another company. I work in a Att store and all the galaxy phones come back a week later because they are junk. If a customer likes android I refer them to the moto atrix, way better phone but iPhone is still the king in my book.

iPhone? More like MyPhone hapishyguy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stevelucky View Post
    I'm think I'm a pretty stereotypical Apple fanboy, and yet I see how this obviously sucks for everyone. Innovation is good for us all. This truly blows.

No, your mother should be embarrassed to have a child that uses slurs like that. Shameful.
    Hahahahhaha......