+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Some Folks Have Their Heads in The Cloud When it Comes to Understanding Cloud Computing

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Some time ago, MMi highlighted a report noting the large number of iPhone 4 owners who (incredibly) believe that their device is running on a 4G network. While this confusion
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Some Folks Have Their Heads in The Cloud When it Comes to Understanding Cloud Computing

Some time ago, MMi highlighted a report noting the large number of iPhone 4 owners who (incredibly) believe that their device is running on a 4G network. While this confusion among the masses is difficult for some to comprehend, it is much easier to believe how some individuals are confused about iCloud and what exactly cloud computing is all about.

And, yes, there's data to support this widespread head-scratching over cloud computing. A new survey from the NPD Group finds that only 22% of consumers know what "cloud computing" means. Not withstanding the confusion, more than three-quarters of U.S. respondents in NPD's "Digital Software and the Cloud Report" admitted to using some type of Internet-based cloud service in the past 12 months (email, tax preparation, online gaming, etc.)

This information is bound to not settle well with Apple as the company plans to roll out its long await iCloud service this fall. Among myriad features, iCloud will automatically and wirelessly sync data from your ubiquitous iOS devices (iPhone, iPad, iPod touch).

"Whether they understand the terminology or not, consumers are actually pretty savvy in their use of cloud-based applications," said Stephen Baker, vice president of industry analysis for NPD. "They might not always recognize they are performing activities in the cloud, yet they still rely on and use those services extensively. Even so, they are not yet ready to completely give up on traditional PC-based software applications."

Source: NPD

Thanks

I'd believe it, since I had to explain iCloud to my whole family yesterday

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

It's simple. Cloud = new buzz word for The Internet

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Oh silly people i had to explain to this one girl who in my class by the way didnt even have an iPhone 4 her dad did said that it was 4G i said yea Dumb A** fourth generation and she even said that a employee at AT&T told them it was 4G this isn't the type of crowd apple supports fools. So i definitely believe it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone SwatPac's Avatar
    Thanks

I get the feeling iCloud will follow the footsteps of MobileMe.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I consult on the side for IT planning and cloud computing is one of the most confused technologies by businesses. Its on of the "I am not sure what it is but I know we need it" list that non tech staff say they need.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boxxa View Post
    I consult on the side for IT planning and cloud computing is one of the most confused technologies by businesses. Its on of the "I am not sure what it is but I know we need it" list that non tech staff say they need.
    I lol'd. Still, i'd love streaming from apples icloud service. That'd be sick as f***.

My iPhone is a Part of Me mustard05's Avatar
    Thanks

We live in a data hungry society. Cloud based services are the way of the future!

Livin the iPhone Life seann33uk's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SwatPac View Post
    I get the feeling iCloud will follow the footsteps of MobileMe.
    so... plod along quite happily with thousands of users for a few years before being upgraded and renamed?
    Strange point to make but yeah, i agree.?
    Being an i can be a lot of pressure. you have to live right up to the small point.