+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Releases Lion Recovery Disk Assistant

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer
    Thanks

Default Apple Releases Lion Recovery Disk Assistant

Apple today introduced the Lion Recovery Disk Assistant app that is designed to make the process of creating a bootable Mac OS X Lion disk a much easier task. Currently, it is possible to create a bootable drive using nothing more than the Lion installation app, however, the process is less than straightforward. Apple has now simplified the process with the release of this new app.

According to Apple, “The Lion Recovery Disk Assistant lets you create Lion Recovery on an external drive that has all of the same capabilities as the built-in Lion Recovery: reinstall Lion, repair the disk using Disk Utility, restore from a Time Machine backup, or browse the web with Safari.”

If you’d rather not go to all the trouble of creating your own recovery disk, then you can pick one up from the Apple Store for $69 later this month. However, Apple’s USB drive will cost you an extra $39 above Lion’s standard download price of $29.99 and is not likely to be rewritable. Doing a quick price check on Amazon shows that you can pick up a 32GB USB drive for about $40.

An important FYI from Apple states, “When the Lion Recovery Disk Assistant completes, the new partition will not be visible in the Finder or Disk Utility. To access Lion Recovery, reboot the computer while holding the Option key. Select Recovery HD from the Startup Manager.” Hopefully, Apple will incorporate this feature into the standard Lion installation program at some point in the future.

Source: Apple

Thanks
    nice

iPhone? More like MyPhone NOYB111's Avatar
    Thanks

Is this supposed to be in the app store now? I don't see it...

Thanks

Yeah I didn't see this either in the App Store. So can I ASSUME...that it will released sometime soon?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Maybe I'm missing something, but couldn't they just update the App itself to make the process more straightforward?

Thanks

Nevermind my Last Post. I found the link to it..lmao..duh...all ya need to do it click on the Lion Recovery Disk Agent that is highlighted in Blue..and POW!!!! linked directly to the same Pict...So I'm gonna download it & put on a DVD.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AKCHRIS View Post
    Nevermind my Last Post. I found the link to it..lmao..duh...all ya need to do it click on the Lion Recovery Disk Agent that is highlighted in Blue..and POW!!!! linked directly to the same Pict...So I'm gonna download it & put on a DVD.
    I just realized that too... duh! Although I still wonder why its not in the app store...

EDIT: Just fired it up and it requires a USB drive... anyone have any idea how large of a USB drive it needs? I am assuming I can plug in a flash drive but not sure what size it wants...
    Last edited by NOYB111; 08-09-2011 at 12:04 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 15,187 Times in 6,971 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NOYB111 View Post
    I just realized that too... duh! Although I still wonder why its not in the app store...

EDIT: Just fired it up and it requires a USB drive... anyone have any idea how large of a USB drive it needs? I am assuming I can plug in a flash drive but not sure what size it wants...
    I would say a 8GB one to be safe.

Thanks

my macbook pro early 2011 already has the recovery drive with lion after installing the beta 2 of lion and after installing the release too, even though it shipped with snow leopard

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NOYB111 View Post

System Requirements
    ■A Mac running OS X Lion with an existing Recovery HD
    ■An external USB hard drive or thumb drive with at least 1GB of free space

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ragingmoose View Post
    System Requirements
    ■A Mac running OS X Lion with an existing Recovery HD
    ■An external USB hard drive or thumb drive with at least 1GB of free space
    Thanks... I did some googling and found that too.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

so this creates a disk? or does it create what is already on your computer if you boot using option and select the lion recovery?