+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Set to Release “iTunes Replay” Featuring Movie Re-downloads and Streaming

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer
    Thanks

Default Apple Set to Release “iTunes Replay” Featuring Movie Re-downloads and Streaming

It would appear that Apple is set to launch a new service called “iTunes Replay” in the near future. “iTunes Replay” would allow users the option to re-download and steam movies and television programs previously purchased through the iTunes store.

On Monday, Apple released a new software update for the Apple TV that allows users to re-download television programs that they’ve already purchased, however, the update did not include movie re-downloads. It is reasonable to assume that movie purchases will be the next item on the list to be made available for re-download.

With iCloud set to launch in the coming weeks, Apple will usher in a whole new era of streaming content to wireless devices. In addition to re-downloadable content, “iTunes Replay” is also expected to include the option to stream videos as well.

For iOS devices with limited storage capacity and wireless bandwidth limitations, streaming content can be a better option for some users than requiring them to re-download entire movies in order to watch them again. Streamed movies could also be optimized on the fly to accommodate low bandwidth situation and allow for faster, easier viewing. Downloading full movies requires substantially more bandwidth and video files must finish downloading completely before they can be viewed.

Apple currently lets users download previously purchased music and apps from the iTunes store. Adding movies to the mix only makes sense. The main obstacle is securing additional licensing agreements from the major movie studios. It would appear, however, that Apple may have secured the necessary licensing agreements and is now preparing to launch the “iTunes Replay” service when they feel the time is right.

With Apple’s annual Special Event coming up this September, it wouldn’t be too surprising to see “iTunes Replay” launch along side iCloud, iOS 5 and hopefully a redesigned fifth generation iPhone. Apple is also rumored to be preparing an entire overhaul of the iTunes store in the coming months. This update could feature “iTunes Replay” as a prominent new feature. September is likely to be an exciting month for Apple users and fanboys alike.

Source: AppleInsider

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Sweet cant wait for the iTunes overhaul this going to blow your mind.

Thanks

Us this the "product transition Steve was talking about in his last keynote? Could be cool! They would have a hard time being any competition for Netflix though, they have an amazing amount of data already.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Antman217's Avatar
    Thanks

Yes!!! I hate having to switch out movies and shows on my iPhone because of low space. Glad to hear they are going to stream! This may take a blow at netflix.

Thanks

In Canada it won't be hard to be a competition for Netflix. My video library could be a solid competition for the Canadian Netflix. If it doesn't put Netflix out of business to begin with

Thanks

mmm steamed movies

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RICO__ View Post
    Sweet. One more way for Apple to get their lawyers involved. "Hey, re-stream all your previously purchased videos." While this seems like a great deal on the surface (it will probably suck), who do you think negotiated the licensing? Apple's lawyers. I'm surprised they had any free time from suing HTC.
    That's very cute. But it's probably an unwise thing to try and mock someone or pretend to be them when your post count and join date are clearly visible for them to see that whoever you are (and I have a pretty good idea) , you are not me. Adding that extra underscore at the end was pretty slick, but I still caught it.

Oh and by the way, I have already reported you and notified the moderators.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
    That's very cute. But it's probably an unwise thing to try and mock someone or pretend to be them when your post count and join date are clearly visible for them to see that whoever you are (and I have a pretty good idea) , you are not me. Adding that extra underscore at the end was pretty slick, but I still caught it.

Aww, shucks.
    I thought you'd accidentally upgraded to RIC0.1

Thanks
    Thanked 1,085 Times in 437 Posts

yes!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by awesomeo4000 View Post
    mmm steamed movies
    wtf?

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

I think we should have already have the option to redownload previously purchased movies and tv shows, but its good we're getting that option soon

Thanks

I'm really hoping for the apple streaming. I really hate netflix for the jacked up pricing! I was one of those few that cancelled my subscription.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post

Make sense right!