Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Apple Slapped With Laughable 'Location Tracking' Fine in South Korea

  1. #1
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Valparaiso, Indiana
    Posts
    3,822
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

    Default Apple Slapped With Laughable 'Location Tracking' Fine in South Korea


    Apple, one of the all-time most successful and highly-capitalized companies in human history, has been slapped with a fine in South Korea. The news of Apple's "penalty" is noteworthy, however, not so much because of the South Korean government's decision to issue a penalty, but because of the dollar amount of the fine.

    South Korea has fined Apple just shy of $3k for what it deems illegal location tracking. Yes, all of $3,000 - although it sounds much worse when currency conversion is employed (3 million won). Given that Apple earned $7.31 billion in its fiscal third quarter, I'm betting the boys and girls in Cupertino aren't sweating this one.

    Still, the fine is significant and worth reporting because it could influence regulators elsewhere, as the Associated Press speculated in its report on the minuscule fine out of Asia. Yet, as you can imagine, Apple takes to heart the criticism and accusation that it "tracks people."

    "Apple is not tracking the location of your iPhone," Steve Park, a local spokesman in Asia told the AP after the ruling was issued by the Korea Communications Commission. Despite the small fine, Apple's legal woes may not yet be over in South Korea. Attorney Kim Hyeong-seok is reportedly planning a class-action suit in a South Korean court against Apple regarding the issue of location tracking.

    Source: AP

  2. #2
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,117
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 95 Times in 67 Posts

    I bet that big payout and those royalties to Nokia are laughable to eh? Apple is already paying for their misdoings.

    If you find that amusing, then here's something that will probably ruin your day which would most likely never have been reported on this site.

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/paul-e..._b_903986.html

    Still laughing?
    Last edited by RICO_; 08-03-2011 at 02:03 PM.

  3. #3
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    1,144
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 87 Times in 71 Posts

    I might giggle a little bit if this was not already reported a while ago.

  4. #4
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    11
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
    I bet that big payout and those royalties to Nokia are laughable to eh? Apple is already paying for their misdoings.

    If you find that amusing, then here's something that will probably ruin your day which would most likely never have been reported on this site.

    Paul Everton: Apple Has Lost Its Way in HTC/Google Patent Lawsuit

    Still laughing?
    Yes very much!

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
    I bet that big payout and those royalties to Nokia are laughable to eh? Apple is already paying for their misdoings.

    If you find that amusing, then here's something that will probably ruin your day which would most likely never have been reported on this site.

    Paul Everton: Apple Has Lost Its Way in HTC/Google Patent Lawsuit

    Still laughing?
    Yes. Still laughing at your pathetic attempts at trolling every news article. Cry cry cry.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by blwallace5 View Post
    Yes. Still laughing at your pathetic attempts at trolling every news article. Cry cry cry.
    Trolling with facts? I think that's called "not being ignorant".

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by alien mars18 View Post
    Trolling with facts? I think that's called "not being ignorant".
    Funny you should mention ignorant seeing as you are obviously ignorant to what trolling is. Trolling has nothing to do with being right or wrong; it has to do with posting something in an effort to illicit a negative response. If Rico posted his same tired diatribe once or twice, it would be adding to the conversation. Instead he posts his line about paying Nokia five times a day, to piss people off. But don't let FACTS get in the way of your argument.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by blwallace5 View Post
    Funny you should mention ignorant seeing as you are obviously ignorant to what trolling is. Trolling has nothing to do with being right or wrong; it has to do with posting something in an effort to illicit a negative response. If Rico posted his same tired diatribe once or twice, it would be adding to the conversation. Instead he posts his line about paying Nokia five times a day, to piss people off. But don't let FACTS get in the way of your argument.
    I'd rather be ignorant in what trolling is rather then trying to convince others I'm right because of biased brand loyalty.

  9. #9
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,117
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 95 Times in 67 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by blwallace5 View Post
    Funny you should mention ignorant seeing as you are obviously ignorant to what trolling is. Trolling has nothing to do with being right or wrong; it has to do with posting something in an effort to illicit a negative response. If Rico posted his same tired diatribe once or twice, it would be adding to the conversation. Instead he posts his line about paying Nokia five times a day, to piss people off. But don't let FACTS get in the way of your argument.
    Yeah, and how many times a day have we heard the same tired "diatribe" about how Apple is owning the world, repeated over-glorified sales figures, their cash reserves, and pointless surveys about people who plan to switch to the iPhone that are about as in-accurate as surveys come.

    Funny how it's only trolling when someone doesn't suck the slimey Apple d!ck.

    There's nothing "laughable" about a lawsuit, no matter how much money is involved. Just because they have billions doesn't make it laughable. What....the courts shouldn't fine them because it's such a small amount? We should just throw the law out the window when small fines against multiple-billion dollar corporations are handed out?

    You know what I find laughable.....the mere fact that Apple has been through so many lawsuits that their lead patent attorney got burned out and dipped out from Apple. Or just the sheer number of patent lawsuits companies file against Apple which of course homers will just say is out of jealousy rather than the fact that Apple is not the "innovative" giant people try to make them out to be.

    And the last time I mentioned the Nokia lawsuit was in the thread about how Apple "surges past Nokia", but in typical one-dimensional fashion the writer (guess who) just happened to leave out the fact that Part of the reason Apple surged past Nokia is because of the patent features they use FROM NOKIA and pay them for. Somehow that little bit of info seems to be left out everytime. Instead some of the writers intentionally leave out certain information that might cast Apple in a negative light......and while this is a sight for Apple product fans......as an Apple product owner......I want to know ALL of the news regarding the company that makes my product......good OR bad.
    Last edited by RICO_; 08-03-2011 at 07:35 PM.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to RICO_ For This Useful Post:

    alien mars18 (08-03-2011)

  11. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by alien mars18 View Post
    I'd rather be ignorant in what trolling is rather then trying to convince others I'm right because of biased brand loyalty.
    Could you show me where I have ever tried to convince anybody to switch to any Apple device or platform? I didn't think so. Could you show me where I have ever bashed any competitor of Apples product? I didn't think so.

    Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
    Yeah, and how many times a day have we heard the same tired "diatribe" about how Apple is owning the world, repeated over-glorified sales figures, their cash reserves, and pointless surveys about people who plan to switch to the iPhone that are about as in-accurate as surveys come.

    Funny how it's only trolling when someone doesn't suck the slimey Apple d!ck.

    There's nothing "laughable" about a lawsuit, no matter how much money is involved. Just because they have billions doesn't make it laughable. What....the courts shouldn't fine them because it's such a small amount? We should just throw the law out the window when small fines against multiple-billion dollar corporations are handed out?

    You know what I find laughable.....the mere fact that Apple has been through so many lawsuits that their lead patent attorney got burned out and dipped out from Apple. Or just the sheer number of patent lawsuits companies file against Apple which of course homers will just say is out of jealousy rather than the fact that Apple is not the "innovative" giant people try to make them out to be.
    You hear that "diatribe" because you are on an Apple website genius. Not a phone modding site, not a tech site, a site dedicated to Apple products. So yes, the news posted is going to pertain to Apple. Having a different viewpoint is not trolling; posting the same garbage two sentences you post every day is.
    Last edited by blwallace5; 08-03-2011 at 07:23 PM.

  12. #11
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,117
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 95 Times in 67 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by blwallace5 View Post
    .
    You hear that "diatribe" because you are on an Apple website genius. Not a phone modding site, not a tech site, a site dedicated to Apple products. So yes, the news posted is going to pertain to Apple. Having a different viewpoint is not trolling; posting the same garbage two sentences you post every day is.
    No sh!t. But I don't need to hear it in every other damn article. Posting sales figures in an article that is about a software update release is irrelevant and unnecessary.

    I don't get tired of the news, but I DO get tired when writers intentionally leave out information to attempt to make Apple look better......if facts are gonna be posted.....post THE WHOLE FACTS. And until they do...I'll take care of the rest no matter how repetitive it becomes.
    Last edited by RICO_; 08-03-2011 at 07:47 PM.

  13. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
    No sh!t. But I don't need to hear it in every other damn article. Posting sales figures in an article that is about a software update release is irrelevant and unnecessary.

    I don't get tired of the news, but I DO get tired when writers intentionally leave out information to attempt to make Apple look better......if facts are gonna be posted.....post THE WHOLE FACTS. And until they do...I'll take care of the rest no matter how repetitive it becomes.

  14. #13
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,117
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 95 Times in 67 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by raduga View Post

  15. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by raduga View Post
    Wow! You sure told him!

  16. #15
    Thank god people realized RICO is a tool

  17. #16
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,117
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 95 Times in 67 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by sammo123 View Post
    Thank god people realized RICO is a tool
    Why? Because I make more sense and am more realistic than people who have nothing better to do other than to drop a "troll" or "tool" bomb on me?

    The truth stings doesn't it?

  18. #17
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    massachusetts
    Posts
    85
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
    I bet that big payout and those royalties to Nokia are laughable to eh? Apple is already paying for their misdoings.

    If you find that amusing, then here's something that will probably ruin your day which would most likely never have been reported on this site.

    Paul Everton: Apple Has Lost Its Way in HTC/Google Patent Lawsuit

    Still laughing?
    you mad bro?

  19. #18
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,117
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 95 Times in 67 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by bstunt10190 View Post
    you mad bro?
    Mad at what?

  20. #19
    looks like these guys missed your point rico. maybe you need to dumb it down to their 12 year old mentality level.


    you guys talking spam, this "u mad" crap is just as bad if not worse. its too overused to be used anymore. think of something new.

  21. #20
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,117
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 95 Times in 67 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackRaider View Post
    you guys talking spam, this "u mad" crap is just as bad if not worse. its too overused to be used anymore. think of something new.
    That's alright. I find it more "laughable" than this article.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •