+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Foxconn Replacing Workers with 1 Million Robots Over Next 3 Years

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer
    Thanks

Default Foxconn Replacing Workers with 1 Million Robots Over Next 3 Years

Foxconn, best known in the US for manufacturing all things Apple, recently made a statement indicating that the company would be replacing some of its workforce with automated robots.

Late last Friday, while attending a workers dance party, Foxconn founder and chairman, Terry Gou said, “The robots will be used to do simple and routine work such as spraying, welding and assembling which are now mainly conducted by workers.”

Currently, Foxconn has 10,000 robots working for the company, but expects that number to rise to 300,000 by next year. By 2014, the company expects to have nearly a million robots working for them in their manufacturing plants.

It’s currently unclear just how many human employees will be replaced by these new robots. Foxconn currently employs approximately 1.2 million workers throughout China.

Foxconn has been widely criticized for the grueling working conditions that employees are forced to endure. Last year a string of suicides were attributed to the harsh working conditions in their plants.

In the future, if Foxconn chooses to do away with human employees altogether, then at some point, they may face a robot workforce that is as unhappy with the working condition, as the human employees are today.

Source: Xinhua News

Thanks

Then come the highest rate of robot suicides lol

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Megaorange For This Useful Post:

Eagleye (08-01-2011)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Megaorange View Post
    Then come the highest rate of robot suicides lol
    Yeah....the working conditions are so bad even the robots will self-destruct. :P

No but in all seriousness, that's probably the very reason FoxConn is doing this.....to combat bad working conditions. Although there are certain things better left to humans such as maintenance and quality control, robots will most likely provide more output and greater precision.

This may be the end of the infamous supply shortages of new Apple product launches......hopefully.
    Last edited by RICO_; 07-31-2011 at 09:31 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
    Yeah....the working conditions are so bad even the robots will self-destruct. :P

No but in all seriousness, that's probably the very reason FoxConn is doing this.....to combat bad working conditions. Although there are certain things better left to humans such as maintenance and quality control, robots will most likely provide more output and greater precision.
    Never mind cheaper labor. You have to pay to feed, clothe, house, and -gasp!- provide disposable income to a human. Robots don't care.

Good for Foxconn--many automotive makers use robots extensively in their plants (particularly American ones, but I'm holding my tongue). If they can build a machine that does as good, if not a better job, than a human; they should. More power to them.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Perhaps this will cause more suicides... 1 million people unemployed? that could lead to bad things...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Rise of the machines. I guess the terminator movie is gonna come true after all.

iPhone? More like MyPhone satointl's Avatar
    Thanks

That's great but it's ironic. If 1 million people if not more in the future are going to be unemployed, then what's the point of using a ton of robots if you can't buy anything without money?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

They're not sure how many out of 1.2 million employees 1million robots will replace? Probably a good majority of them. Thats nearly one robot for every employee.....not to mention the fact that one robot could possibly replace more than one employee. Nowadays you can build and program robots to do practically anything......assemble, measure, polish, stack, transport. There's even robots that can check and see if what OTHER robots did is correct or not. And they don't even need a lunch break or a day off.

Quote Originally Posted by satointl View Post
    That's great but it's ironic. If 1 million people if not more in the future are going to be unemployed, then what's the point of using a ton of robots if you can't buy anything without money?
    Because there are millions of people in the United States and other countries that WILL buy the products that Foxconn rolls out for Apple.
    Last edited by RICO_; 07-31-2011 at 10:00 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me tudtran's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by megaorange View Post
    then come the highest rate of robot suicides lol

lol

Thanks

I can totally see the Terminator Apocolypse occuring soon cuz of this
    someday Humans<Robots...

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

Way to make unemployment rise and your profits rise greedy ppl SUCK

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by indyracer05 View Post
    I can totally see the Terminator Apocolypse occuring soon cuz of this
    someday Humans<Robots...
    Until the world runs out of oil , the human workers will prevail again , power to the people

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

this makes me sad to think that a million people will lose their jobs down the road. China truly has no regard for human life.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by swifty7 View Post
    this makes me sad to think that a million people will lose their jobs down the road. China truly has no regard for human life.
    If everyone thought that way then the simple thing to do is for a mass boycott on everything that Foxconn produces. But of course that won't happen and people will continue to buy their products at an accelerated rate; therefore, from a business standpoint, the logical thing to do would be to expand productivity by putting in the robots. I don't think they want to let go of a million workers......it's just an unfortunate consequence of the efficiency of robots.

It sucks.....but that's the world we live in. Even trash pickup in alot of places is done by a giant robotic arm attached to the truck instead of the traditional two guys hanging from the back of the truck.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Not saying you're not correct but what does foxcon replacing workers with robots have to do with China's human rights situation?

I don't give a hooties cow what happens at foxcon.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ccoltmanm's Avatar
    Thanks

It sucks.....but that's the world we live in. Even trash pickup in alot of places is done by a giant robotic arm attached to the truck instead of the traditional two guys hanging from the back of the truck.
    Businesses are not around to provide jobs, they are around to make a profit.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ccoltmanm View Post
    Businesses are not around to provide jobs, they are around to make a profit.
    I'm well aware of that.

Quote Originally Posted by RICO_
    therefore, from a business standpoint, the logical thing to do would be to expand productivity by putting in the robots. I don't think they want to let go of a million workers......it's just an unfortunate consequence of the efficiency of robots.
    But ask yourself this.....what would happen if every business employed a very small work force and ran almost entirely on robots? How can they turn a profit if the vast majority of the country is unemployed without income due to being replaced by robots?
    Last edited by RICO_; 08-01-2011 at 09:48 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone satointl's Avatar
    Thanks

They're not sure how many out of 1.2 million employees 1million robots will replace? Probably a good majority of them. Thats nearly one robot for every employee.....not to mention the fact that one robot could possibly replace more than one employee. Nowadays you can build and program robots to do practically anything......assemble, measure, polish, stack, transport. There's even robots that can check and see if what OTHER robots did is correct or not. And they don't even need a lunch break or a day off.

Because there are millions of people in the United States and other countries that WILL buy the products that Foxconn rolls out for Apple.
    Say everyone gets replaced.

Thanks

Wow that's sad... Typical business trying to make a profit. I feel for the people who are going to lose their jobs.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by satointl View Post
    that's true but the corporations can only think about is the "now factor"

it's not just china

Quote Originally Posted by mmaboi21 View Post
    Wow that's sad... Typical business trying to make a profit. I feel for the people who are going to lose their jobs.
    i know , the communist party should get directly involved and make things right but sadly the money that foxconn brings in for the country's economy itself is more important than the small individual workers
    Last edited by mytran80; 08-01-2011 at 10:35 AM.