+ Reply
Results 1 to 19 of 19

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Apple TV is Red Hot But No Immediate Refresh Planned

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
It may be one of the "quieter" Apple products as far as mainstream media coverage and public attention are concerned, but make no mistake about it, Apple TV is a
...
  1. #1
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Valparaiso, Indiana
    Posts
    3,744
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

    Default Apple TV is Red Hot But No Immediate Refresh Planned


    It may be one of the "quieter" Apple products as far as mainstream media coverage and public attention are concerned, but make no mistake about it, Apple TV is a huge hit, selling roughly 500,000 units each quarter. Since its arrival last fall, the $99 streaming media box has served as a shining example of how living room entertainment is no longer a hobby for Apple.

    Still, despite Apple's longstanding penchant for product refreshes within a reasonable time frame, the tech industry - both from a production and analyst standpoint - isn't buzzing with talk of a new (or next-gen) Apple TV before the end of 2011. Why not? For starters, it doesn't appear to anyone that a refresh is planned.

    This morning, Concord Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo went on the record with his industry checks, noting that Apple TV has enjoyed better than 70% year-over-year growth. But despite the juggernaut growth of the platform, no Q3 refresh is in the works. Perhaps that comes as a slight relief to Apple TV's biggest competitors.

    As we reported Thursday, Logitech had to reveal that sales of the Google-TV-based Revue are faltering opposite Apple TV. In fact, negative sales were seen in the previous quarter. So how does Loitech respond? Thanks to Apple TV's attractive $99 price point, "Revue" will now be similarly priced as such.

    Source:: Apple Insider

  2. #2
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,115
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 94 Times in 66 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Essany View Post
    . So how does Loitech respond? Thanks to Apple TV's attractive $99 price point, "Revue" will now be similarly priced as such.
    Once again....if Logitech themselves have not confirmed that the price cut is because of Apple TVs price, then you have no business drawing that conclusion and reporting it as such.

  3. #3
    The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    2,127
    Thanks
    55
    Thanked 94 Times in 88 Posts

    I personally am leaning toward the new roku 2

  4. #4
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
    Once again....if Logitech themselves have not confirmed that the price cut is because of Apple TVs price, then you have no business drawing that conclusion and reporting it as such.
    Lol you really do only know how to bash Essany.. So what's the deal? Mad that he is actually the writer?

  5. #5
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
    Once again....if Logitech themselves have not confirmed that the price cut is because of Apple TVs price, then you have no business drawing that conclusion and reporting it as such.
    Fair assumption... That's business, it's all about market driven pricing. How can they expect to sell more when apple has a lower price point and better reputation? In order to compete they must lower their price.

  6. #6
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,115
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 94 Times in 66 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Rpjr View Post
    Lol you really do only know how to bash Essany.. So what's the deal? Mad that he is actually the writer?
    Why would I be mad that he is a writer? Alot of the stories reported here have already been circulating around the web and tech world. There's nothing complicated or special about re-posting news. But he has a nag for drawing "assumptions" and conclusions that are not proven. If that is the case then a writer should probably advise the readers that their reasoning for a company making a particular move is sheer speculation or assumption on his/her part.....not present it as fact when it is NOT legitimately fact yet.

    Of course that's just my opinion.
    Last edited by RICO_; 07-29-2011 at 03:44 PM.

  7. #7
    Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Iowa (ISU for Vet School!)
    Posts
    3,920
    Thanks
    69
    Thanked 310 Times in 264 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
    Once again....if Logitech themselves have not confirmed that the price cut is because of Apple TVs price, then you have no business drawing that conclusion and reporting it as such.
    Logitech would be fools to say "Apple TV is selling well at $100 so we are going to drop our prices to match." I agree with what you say to an extent, but these products are undoubtedly catering to same/similar needs of buyers. I think the comparison is sound.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

    A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

  8. #8
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    1,136
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 87 Times in 71 Posts

    To say Logitech's new pricing policy was not influenced by Apple TV is just delusional, however to give all credit to Apple TV is also false. To be in electronic market you must be competitive, in technology as well as pricing. Since I am going to switch to Android phone as soon as my contract is up, I would be interested in 1080P streaming that can link to my phone device.

  9. #9
    My iPhone is a Part of Me hogcia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    737
    Thanks
    51
    Thanked 77 Times in 59 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
    Why would I be mad that he is a writer? Alot of the stories reported here have already been circulating around the web and tech world. There's nothing complicated or special about re-posting news. But he has a nag for drawing "assumptions" and conclusions that are not proven. If that is the case then a writer should probably advise the readers that their reasoning for a company making a particular move is sheer speculation or assumption on his/her part.....not present it as fact when it is NOT legitimately fact yet.
    You say & I quote, that allot of the stories reported here have already been circulating around the web. Tired of hearing readers like You b!tch, have some respect for the writers! I don't have time to surf the other sites for story's, so everything here is always new to me. Get off your high horse, your not as smart as you think you are!

  10. #10
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,115
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 94 Times in 66 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by hogcia View Post
    You say & I quote, that allot of the stories reported here have already been circulating around the web. Tired of hearing readers like You b!tch, have some respect for the writers! I don't have time to surf the other sites for story's, so everything here is always new to me. Get off your high horse, your not as smart as you think you are!
    I have respect for the majority of writers....in fact these last couple of articles have been one of the few times I have ever engaged a writer directly...so do yourself a favor and stop trying to compare me with other people on this site. You're just making yourself look like a dumbass.

    What I do NOT have respect for is when writers repeatedly try to over-glorify Apple and claim that anything and everything that any other competitor does is in response solely to Apple. There are many more factors that affect business decision than the actions of one company. And unless a company admits their choices are only in response to Apple then it is ridiculous to assume that they are no matter how obvious it may seem. Apple is NOT the end-all-be-all of the tech world and the only reason I even mentioned the articles being present on other sites before they are here is because someone implied that I am somehow jealous of the writer. That made me laugh.

    I am well aware of the fact that this site offers a collection of news in one easy-to-find place.....in fact I even defended that very point when SOMEONE ELSE heavily criticized the writers for reporting what they thought was "yesterday's news". Believe it or not I hope for a truly innovative next iPhone and future products and I frequent this site for that very reason....my posts may not imply that, but I have already explained why that is.

    I call it like it is and how i see it and what I say is my opinion. People rarely get criticized for making ridiculous glorified assumptions about Apple because it paints a pretty picture of Apple. But the second Apple does something wrong there is always the "gang" that tries to defend Apple and scold anyone who disagrees. I am sick and tired of how biased some people are on this site and I along with many other people who have been faithful to Apple products have earned the right to b!tch whenever there is something presented either by the writers or by the articles they are reporting on that we do not agree with.

    I'm a smart man....probably as smart as I think I am despite what you may think. But I do not hold my opinions above anyone else on this site. They are strictly just that....opinions....my personal beliefs....and everyone on this site has theirs. Some are afraid to voice them because of people like YOU.....others are not....including me. Day after day I take the risk of being scolded because of some of the things I have to say, but you know what....I don't care. It helps me learn and it's all part of being a member of sites like this. And although many people will not like what I have to say.....just as many people do see the justification behind it and will agree with me. Others will not. That's just the way it is.

    If you can't deal with that then too damn bad. Deal with it!
    Last edited by RICO_; 07-29-2011 at 11:03 PM.

  11. #11
    What's Jailbreak? JoeSchmoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Wow, it just got a little awkward in here with all this angry fighting. Can't we all just get along?

  12. #12
    Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Pittsford, NY via Dallas, TX
    Posts
    2,741
    Thanks
    549
    Thanked 622 Times in 346 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by hogcia View Post
    Get off your high horse, your not as smart as you think you are!
    Sigh...



    OT: I don't think the ATv needs a refresh at the moment. There is so much untapped potential in the current model. Apple simply needs to release a stronger OS for it that includes third party apps and such.

  13. #13
    My iPhone is a Part of Me hogcia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    737
    Thanks
    51
    Thanked 77 Times in 59 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
    I have respect for the majority of writers....in fact these last couple of articles have been one of the few times I have ever engaged a writer directly...so do yourself a favor and stop trying to compare me with other people on this site. You're just making yourself look like a dumbass.

    What I do NOT have respect for is when writers repeatedly try to over-glorify Apple and claim that anything and everything that any other competitor does is in response solely to Apple. There are many more factors that affect business decision than the actions of one company. And unless a company admits their choices are only in response to Apple then it is ridiculous to assume that they are no matter how obvious it may seem. Apple is NOT the end-all-be-all of the tech world and the only reason I even mentioned the articles being present on other sites before they are here is because someone implied that I am somehow jealous of the writer. That made me laugh.

    I am well aware of the fact that this site offers a collection of news in one easy-to-find place.....in fact I even defended that very point when SOMEONE ELSE heavily criticized the writers for reporting what they thought was "yesterday's news". Believe it or not I hope for a truly innovative next iPhone and future products and I frequent this site for that very reason....my posts may not imply that, but I have already explained why that is.

    I call it like it is and how i see it and what I say is my opinion. People rarely get criticized for making ridiculous glorified assumptions about Apple because it paints a pretty picture of Apple. But the second Apple does something wrong there is always the "gang" that tries to defend Apple and scold anyone who disagrees. I am sick and tired of how biased some people are on this site and I along with many other people who have been faithful to Apple products have earned the right to b!tch whenever there is something presented either by the writers or by the articles they are reporting on that we do not agree with.

    I'm a smart man....probably as smart as I think I am despite what you may think. But I do not hold my opinions above anyone else on this site. They are strictly just that....opinions....my personal beliefs....and everyone on this site has theirs. Some are afraid to voice them because of people like YOU.....others are not....including me. Day after day I take the risk of being scolded because of some of the things I have to say, but you know what....I don't care. It helps me learn and it's all part of being a member of sites like this. And although many people will not like what I have to say.....just as many people do see the justification behind it and will agree with me. Others will not. That's just the way it is.

    If you can't deal with that then too damn bad. Deal with it!
    Just because you write a long essay don't mean people are gonna agree with you. You have way too much time in hour hands, get a girlfriend!

  14. #14
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,115
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 94 Times in 66 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by hogcia View Post
    Just because you write a long essay don't mean people are gonna agree with you. You have way too much time in hour hands, get a girlfriend!
    I don't need a long essay to know that I'm right. Just look at other threads. People won't agree with me all the time, but they don't disagree with me all the time either. The long essay was so I could spell it out for you so hopefully you won't attempt to make an a.s.s out of yourself again. And I would expect a typical "get a girlfriend" comeback that has absolutely nothing to do with the subject at hand from a typical fanboy like yourself.
    Last edited by RICO_; 07-30-2011 at 12:08 PM.

  15. #15
    Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Pittsford, NY via Dallas, TX
    Posts
    2,741
    Thanks
    549
    Thanked 622 Times in 346 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
    I don't need a long essay to know that I'm right. Just look at other threads. People won't agree with me all the time, but they don't disagree with me all the time either. The long essay was so I could spell it out for you so hopefully you won't attempt to make an a.s.s out of yourself again. And I would expect a typical "get a girlfriend" comeback that has absolutely nothing to do with the subject at hand from a typical fanboy like yourself.
    Your lengthy diatribe earlier (an similar ones on other threads) has absolutely nothing to do with the subject at hand either. PM the staff and owners of your opinions rather than filling up the threads with your rants.

  16. #16
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,115
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 94 Times in 66 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by mortopher View Post
    Your lengthy diatribe earlier (an similar ones on other threads) has absolutely nothing to do with the subject at hand either.
    You're right. However they were in response to questions/comments directed at me in the thread. If someone wants to take the time to criticize me or ask questions in the thread rather than over pm, then I will take the time to respond to them in that very same manner.

  17. #17
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    89
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I'm sure everyone knows the saying:

    Fighting on the internet is like running in the special Olympics. Even if you win you're still retarded!

    Rico, please stop being a troll! People come here to read the articles and if the news is old to you, just move on to another article and let it be. Because for someone out there, it won't be old news and as another poster said they don't have the time to search through lots of sites. I find this site to be a good collective of news that interests me and I don't have to waste any of time to find other news that may be interesting to me while wading through the stuff that is not. Now surely you have better use of your time that to be on here writing essays to other posters about why your view may be more valid than theirs?

  18. #18
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,115
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 94 Times in 66 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Stumbows View Post
    I'm sure everyone knows the saying:

    Fighting on the internet is like running in the special Olympics. Even if you win you're still retarded!

    Rico, please stop being a troll! People come here to read the articles and if the news is old to you, just move on to another article and let it be. Because for someone out there, it won't be old news and as another poster said they don't have the time to search through lots of sites. I find this site to be a good collective of news that interests me and I don't have to waste any of time to find other news that may be interesting to me while wading through the stuff that is not. Now surely you have better use of your time that to be on here writing essays to other posters about why your view may be more valid than theirs?
    I find it amusing that you went off and compared fighting on the Internet to being in the Special Olympics and then in your very next paragraph spill off some useless collection of pointless jabs regarding points that were already addressed and details that I already explained in good detail. Clearly you didn't read or understand my replies so I won't bother wasting my time with you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Stumbows View Post
    Now surely you have better use of your time that to be on here writing essays to other posters about why your view may be more valid than theirs?
    If you had taken the time to read EVERYTHING I said then you would have caught the phrase below which was in my post......instead of trying to call me out and end up making a complete fool out of yourself........

    Quote Originally Posted by RICO_

    But I do not hold my opinions above anyone else on this site.
    Last edited by RICO_; 07-31-2011 at 10:26 PM.

  19. #19
    iPhone? More like MyPhone ccoltmanm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    114
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Rico, you win. Now go away.

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts