+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple's Grand Central Store Pending Approval, Looks Amazing

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Apple's plan for a Grand Central Station Apple store is awaiting final approval by the New York Metropolitan Transportation authority board Wednesday, but the renderings the MTA showed the Wall
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple's Grand Central Store Pending Approval, Looks Amazing

Apple's plan for a Grand Central Station Apple store is awaiting final approval by the New York Metropolitan Transportation authority board Wednesday, but the renderings the MTA showed the Wall Street Journal are jaw dropping.

The renders show an Apple Store that leaves the terminal's structure largely unchanged. The juxtaposition of early 1900's architecture and Apple's cutting edge modern products is almost too surreal to understand. According to the WSJ report Apple plans to open the store before the holiday season this year. I can can only hope.

However, the early move in date comes at a premium price to Apple. Apple reportedly paid the previous tenant, Charlie Palmer's Matrazur restaurant, $5 million to acquire the space. Palmer wasn't supposed to move out of the space in the terminal's east balcony for another 8 years. Plus Apple is reportedly paying between $800,000 and $1.1. million a year for rent. The previous tenant paid only $263,997 a year.

The store itself will be a monstrous 23,000 square-foot facility, nearly 3,000 square feet larger than Apple's largest stores.

I can’t imagine why any kid in Westchester would want to do anything other than go into Grand Central and shop at Apple and eat at Shake Shack. - MTA Real Estate Director Jeffery Rosen
    Neither can I. Except that kids can barely afford to buy food let alone purchase a MacBook Air on their own.

Source: WSJ via Apple Insider

Thanks
    Thanked 1,085 Times in 437 Posts

I wish I was in NY!

Thanks

I see theft as being an issue... maybe I'm wrong, but ya... Also, I have no idea what an Apple store in NYC drags in for revenue, but I feel like paying that much for rent must make profits hard to come buy.

Thanks

wow, wonder if any of that is being designed/rendered with Autodesk Revit.

Thanks

A store without walls and doors? I see lots of muggings/thefts coming soon.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andypropaganda View Post
    I see theft as being an issue... maybe I'm wrong, but ya... Also, I have no idea what an Apple store in NYC drags in for revenue, but I feel like paying that much for rent must make profits hard to come buy.
    Most apple stores can hit a million dollars in sales in a week or two. New York stores (like the 24 hour 5th ave store) make even more. Now obviously that's sales, not profit. But Apple makes more money per square foot than Tiffany's just to give you an idea...

Green Apple
    Thanks

grand central stations' actually pretty safe, there's always police and military(post 9/11) present at all times, but then again there never was a electronics store there... pretty sure there'll be some type of wall/gate/door though... and i'm sure they won't put the store smack dab in the middle where rush hour traffic would just not be beneficial to the store.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andypropaganda View Post
    Look at the stats of grand central and you will understand how this is possible.

There is 750,000 people that pass through Grand Central DAILY and over 1,000,000 people a day during the holidays. Its one of the most trafficked spots so being able to draw people to sell goods is easily able to pull in millions a month.

Thanks

I suddenly have an urge to take a train to New York

Thanks

Apple can afford to lose profit by being there they make money regardless everywhere else.

Thanks

I used to pass through the Grand Central station quite a bit when I used to live in Queens. Now that I live in Manhattan (and new Nissan Maxima), I don't pass through it much. This is a great move by Apple, this store will get lots of sales.

Green Apple
    Thanks

That is pretty pimp.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,085 Times in 437 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
    I suddenly have an urge to take a train to New York
    Dido, but I don't want to be on a train for 6 hours

Green Apple
    Thanks

I recently did a short term contract in New York working next to Grand Central and staying at a hotel just a couple of blocks away, wish the store had been there then for me to spend all my allowances! I had to go a long way to pickup my iPad 2

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 838 Posts

How about the juxtaposition between the high-tech gadgets in front of you and the homeless guy to your right with who-knows-what on his hands, smearing it on the iPad screen?

Thanks

This is awesome! Now any customers outside the city won't have to leave the station, and won't crowd the other city stores. Wonderful move.

Now just give me back final cut pro and stop making me jailbreak my iPhone, and I'll start liking you again